Anyone else just not send delegations anymore?

By mid game, I am so far ahead that I don't care when they denounce me. I do my thing and hang Moderator Action: <SNIP> up in them when they declare war on me until they beg for peace.

Moderator Action: Please help us keep our forums family friendly by using appropriate language. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
I always send them. I always like to know what the pluses and minuses are. It really helps with culture victories. Plus, my goal is to limit the red faces to one. That is usually doable.

If you've ever looked at each AIs relationship with every other civ in the game, you will see that they all pretty much hate everyone else. So, it's not only you getting denounced all the time. Everybody gets it from everybody.

Also, as it currently stands, the second you capture a city you will be branded a warmonger. Because, at that point you are no longer on the defensive. Even if they surprise declared on you. What I've done in past games is to lay waste to their troops, and then start bargaining for them to give me cities when it comes to suing for peace. You'd be surprised how many cities you can get that way. That way you gain cities without the overwhelming penalty.

I always send them. I always like to know what the pluses and minuses are. It really helps with culture victories. Plus, my goal is to limit the red faces to one. That is usually doable.

If you've ever looked at each AIs relationship with every other civ in the game, you will see that they all pretty much hate everyone else. So, it's not only you getting denounced all the time. Everybody gets it from everybody.

Also, as it currently stands, the second you capture a city you will be branded a warmonger. Because, at that point you are no longer on the defensive. Even if they surprise declared on you. What I've done in past games is to lay waste to their troops, and then start bargaining for them to give me cities when it comes to suing for peace. You'd be surprised how many cities you can get that way. That way you gain cities without the overwhelming penalty.

I used to send them to everyone on the very first turn I met them because I liked to know, but I'm currently playing on a huge map and marathon speed, so I've spent 900 gold in total and no one has repaid me back. I really don't care about the warmongering because they already hate me anyway, and I have the strongest army, so it doesn't matter. I see where you're coming from though. It's just frustrating to waste 900 gold (especially in the early game) when it could've been used somewhere else.

I stopped sending them when I realized that my warmonger penalties make them useless over the course of the game. If you play aggressively, they are a waste of gold.

Agreed. Everyone hates me anyway so being branded a warmonger means nothing to me. Just a waste

Yeah, I've stopped bothering. I can put the gold to better use.

I've come to the same conclusion. Diplomacy is terrible in VI. The benefits to having good relations with the AI are minimal (it's not like you need the research agreements when you've completed the tech tree by 1900), and the AI will simply hate you for existing.So why waste the gold?

Have luxuries they don't have? Hated. Exist on a continent they're not on? Hated. Recruit great people? Hated. Build wonders? Hated. Don't cheat like the AI does? Hated (for not being powerful enough in whatever category). Take a single city? Hated. Discover them with a unit that isn't a scout? Hated. Make friends with one? Hated by the rest. And if you manage to steer clear of all that crap, what do you really gain from it? Not much.

Stopped sending them. To win quickly, you need to take what's not yours, so they're guaranteed to hate me even if the annoying agenda system doesn't trigger displeasure. I'll put the gold to better use.

I don't just skip delegations, I skip diplomacy totally. Find as many as you can in ancient then declare war on them all the turn before you enter Classical. That way you avoid the war declaration penalty.

Am I missing something? Or is everyone missing the other benefit to sending delegations to other civs is so you gain insight into what they are thinking and planning through the gossip messages you receive? I thought that was linked; did I get confused?

I forget the terminology now, but it raises your "visibility" with the other civ, I think it's called, which in turn determines how much you learn about what they are doing/planning which is conveyed to you through gossip messages...

Last edited:
Pffft visibility is over rated. Only visibility I need is where their cities are so I know where to send the legions. :ar15:

I do send them, but I play a modded game where early conquest is somewhat harder and their animosity is turned down so that you have a greater chance of actually having a positive relationship with them.

@walkerjks If you have open border with them, you get 25% more tourism towards them. If they denounce you, the option for open border deal won't even available.

Main rule: It's a waste of gold to send delegations.
Exception 1: Trying to get the alliance buff, where you use freeing city states to keep warmongering low or for whatever reason don't accumulate high warmonger score.
Exception 2: Open Border for culture buff.

I've given up spending gold on delegations. I'd rather put it towards buying a useful city hex or upgrading a unit.
If you have open border with them, you get 25% more tourism towards them. If they denounce you, the option for open border deal won't even available.

Even for a culture victory I don't bother -- you can get that 50% tourism bonus for civs you have a trade route with (Social Media civic I think) and use that even if they hate your hair color or whatever.

Top Bottom