Anyone else looking forward to tablet support for Beyond Earth?

do you prefer BE support for iOS tablets, Android tablets, or Windows tablets?

• iOS tablets

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Android tablets

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Windows tablets

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
According to previous versions of civ, mom made the great mistake of gifting me an android device for my 26th bday. I hope this poll aids marketing to gear Firaxis development toward a second suboptimal BE build toward (checks poll)

The poll lacks "no tablets" option.

Overall I believe touch controls for Windows will be supported, since Firaxis added them to both Civ5 and XCOM. So, Windows 8 tablets (x86-based) will be supported automatically, providing their hardware is powerful enough.

On the other hand, CBE uses Civ5 custom game engine, which is not ported to either Android or iOS. Porting it would be huge work and developers will not do it just for CBE. Plus there are hardware limitations.

You could actually close thread here :)

Considering the sophistication of the 3D engine, I think porting to Android would be very difficult if not impossible.

Well, Aspyr port to MacOS uses OpenGL, so basing on it it would be not too difficult (less efforts than Mac port). But the fact that Firaxis used external company even for Mac port, yes, chances are zero.

If it came out on IOS, I would buy that over PC, mostly because I can use my iPad more casually than my computer with a house full of small kids and not much free time.

Well, Aspyr port to MacOS uses OpenGL, so basing on it it would be not too difficult (less efforts than Mac port). But the fact that Firaxis used external company even for Mac port, yes, chances are zero.
Though the mobile OpenGL API isn't the same as the desktop one. There's talk of unifying them, though.

All of my NOPE!

Civ5 is so far the most dumbed down version of Civ and it's because we are moving towards multi-platform compatibility, touch-screen support and casual gaming. Many great projects are hurt because of their console/tablet versions and specific needs of such ports. X-Com is on of the best examples of this.

The Civ series is a dying breed of games that require you to actually read the manual (or at least every tooltip in the game during several play-throughs) in order to become any good. If the Firaxis team tries to kill both the die-hard PC and console/tablet birds with one stone, I strongly believe the stone will just hit their own heads. The product we'll get will not satisfy us and will still be too complicated for a Candy Crush fan.

I've done some coding on Android, and its support of OpenGL ES is shaky at best, especially for complex effects such as those used in Civ V.

I've done some coding on Android, and its support of OpenGL ES is shaky at best, especially for complex effects such as those used in Civ V.

Yep. But it's still smaller issues than DirectX - OpenGL port.

They've already stated they're being rather ambitious by releasing for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Rather than have them trying to solve even more cross-platform issues as well as revamping the engine to handle low-power processors in mobile devices, I'd rather see them dedicate those man-hours to content, playtesting, and debugging.

Once they have a working product that's been sufficiently through the usual bugs discovered on release, then might be good time to pivot to the mobile platforms.

tablet? seriously? this isn't civrev (I hope). I have a pretty decent rig and civ5 still slows to a crawl in a large late game. And dont get me started on those diplomacy screens eating all the ram. I think this game would make a tablet melt.

All of my NOPE!

Civ5 is so far the most dumbed down version of Civ and it's because we are moving towards multi-platform compatibility, touch-screen support and casual gaming. Many great projects are hurt because of their console/tablet versions and specific needs of such ports. X-Com is on of the best examples of this.

The Civ series is a dying breed of games that require you to actually read the manual (or at least every tooltip in the game during several play-throughs) in order to become any good. If the Firaxis team tries to kill both the die-hard PC and console/tablet birds with one stone, I strongly believe the stone will just hit their own heads. The product we'll get will not satisfy us and will still be too complicated for a Candy Crush fan.

I think we can assume that there will be a windows 8 touch enabled version, as it exist with civ V now, but as for ports, i would not be holding my breath

CiV is great on a touch screen, your gaming length can be increased greatly by being able to be on the touch screen. I have my surface pro hooked up to a monitor, keyboard and mouse but am able to take it with me into the kitchen when cooking dinner, on the couch when "watching" tv and into bed late at night

IMO this form factor is excellent and not "casual" at all, but it requires proper hardware inside the small form factor rather than the crippled POS that is an ARM processor

Firaxis hates Android, so if that is your OS, you're outta luck. They literally developed CivRev for every other platform on the face of the planet EXCEPT Android. I can play CivRev on my microwave, my electric toothbrush, my circular saw, but not on Android. Screw Firaxis and their demon pact with Apple.

Top Bottom