Anyone else not build orbitals or even remove miasma?

s0nny80y

Emperor
I've played three games, the first two on the second hardest but only winning my last one which is a step up from normal.

In essence, I had no reason to build orbitals and/or remove miasma. I simply built more workers and healed them when I had to.

I guess 1700 hours into Civ V causes some bad habits to form...

Anyone else?

I seem to constantly be surrounded by miasma and there is no easier way to remove or add it than building orbitals. Last game I was building condensers on top of Kozlov's and Bolivar's cities, covering the map in miasma to make use of Harmony 6.

thing is miasma is just a wall, it hurts units but, for some reason, your pops can work the tile, no ill effects or diminished yields. that is an inconsistence and needs addressing in my opinion.

I think it was an oversight to have miasma not do anything negative other than be slightly annoying. If you ask me, the yield on the miasma squares should be lower, or aliens should pop out, or *something*. Something to make Harmony eventually love having it around, and Purity, especially, ridding the planet of it.

Planet is really a pushover this time!

EDIT: Yeah, exactly what Chaos Blade said.

I only remove miasma if it causes problems to trade routes or to military conquest. Otherwise I'm fine with my workers taking some damage.

Heh, in my first game, first I removed miasma with orbitals, and later with workers; but then I went deep Harmony, and I researched the tech to *grow* miasma. I won before I was able to use it, though. :)

But yeah, in general, I like getting rid of it.

Good point about tile-workers, but I confess I'm glad they're not getting sick too.

thing is miasma is just a wall, it hurts units but, for some reason, your pops can work the tile, no ill effects or diminished yields. that is an inconsistence and needs addressing in my opinion.
It's difficult to know how best to address it. Almost any sort of penalty from miasma early-on before you have any way of dealing with it would be punishing.

I guess one way to deal with it would be to move the 'remove miasma' worker ability earlier in the tech tree to something like planetary survey, which you can completely ignore if you're land-locked.

I guess one sensible approach would be to tie it into health? Something like -0.2 health per miasma tile within your borders, and -0.4 health if worked? Then the -10 health penalty could be an extra 20% penalty from miasma, and -20 health could be 40% penalty from miasma. Little tricky having a health penalty that compounds on top of itself, though. But this would help to constrain aggressive early expansion, while not hurting those who go slower with workers nearly as much.

Miasma repulsors probably need to be nerfed a bit - it seems at the moment that in 10 turns they will remove miasma from 19 tiles? Could be bumped up to 15 turns, and maybe even give a -2 health penalty for any city within the radius for the duration, because pumping all those cleaning agents down willy-nilly can't be good for the people right? Would make clearing miasma harder and encourage to use workers to do so instead. Given the opportunity cost of having miasmic repulsors above your cities instead of solar collectors, increasing the duration to 15 turns is an additional nerf.

I suggested on another thread that the easiest rationalization for being able to work tiles that kill units, is to suppose that miasma rolls around in clouds, and farmers have enough warning to dive into nearby bunkers - whereas other units are stuck outside.

But it's still clearly counterintuitive. And the fix (a miasma tile penalty) seems really hard - since any food or health hits in early game would pretty much kill your city.

The best thing is probably to have improvements on miasma randomly deteriorate (self-pillage), requiring a small amount of attention and hassle (sending workers back in to repair) just to keep the flavor of "miasma is dangerous" intact.

Unit HP alerts need to be patched in before the game creates more reasons to send workers into miasma though.

It's difficult to know how best to address it. Almost any sort of penalty from miasma early-on before you have any way of dealing with it would be punishing.

I guess one way to deal with it would be to move the 'remove miasma' worker ability earlier in the tech tree to something like planetary survey, which you can completely ignore if you're land-locked.

I guess one sensible approach would be to tie it into health? Something like -0.2 health per miasma tile within your borders, and -0.4 health if worked? Then the -10 health penalty could be an extra 20% penalty from miasma, and -20 health could be 40% penalty from miasma. Little tricky having a health penalty that compounds on top of itself, though. But this would help to constrain aggressive early expansion, while not hurting those who go slower with workers nearly as much.

Miasma repulsors probably need to be nerfed a bit - it seems at the moment that in 10 turns they will remove miasma from 19 tiles? Could be bumped up to 15 turns, and maybe even give a -2 health penalty for any city within the radius for the duration, because pumping all those cleaning agents down willy-nilly can't be good for the people right? Would make clearing miasma harder and encourage to use workers to do so instead. Given the opportunity cost of having miasmic repulsors above your cities instead of solar collectors, increasing the duration to 15 turns is an additional nerf.

What about growth penalties for the city? is there any way to affect that?
I think the repulsors need to be deeper in the web, then again I am of the opinion that all orbital tech needs to be midgame onwards AND need the launch facility as a requirement to construct AND deploy.
So miasma repellent by worker and proofing of workers could go in the survey tech, though it might need a new name afterwards

Still, it should be negated by high enough harmony tech and then produce a bonus at the proper harmony level, a small bonus, maybe 5% at most.

I use miasma repulsors when miasma is completely blocking trade routes to a city.

I use a lot of repulsors. I hate miasma, and they are very cheap to build. I almost never get the tech to remove it with my workers.

Miasma in my lands means that I lose valuable worker turns healing, and maybe even lose some if I'm not careful. If a city has nothing important to build, I will absolutely tell them to make a miasmic repulsor. If a city does have something to build, I'd rather lose a few worker turns than miss out on that valuable building or whatnot. So repulsors aren't a high priority, but I always build them eventually.

I use miasma repulsers religiously. If there is a single tile on my continent with miasma on it, I will throw up a repulser to get rid of it. Can't stand that miasma!

My second game I'm playing domination. In war, don't neglect tachnet's. They are very helpful satellites if you can clear a space to get one up.

I love orbital units, one of my favorite features.

The Phasal Transporter is amazing, allowing you teleport your armies across the map. As purity you can teleport all the hover units into ocean for a perfect ambitious assault.

I also enjoy Holomatrix (+culture) and Deep space telescope(+ science).
I didn't get a chance but I imagine the + production and + food ones are great. they even spawn resources.

First game went deep supremacy and build a lot of weather controller and orbital fabricators. Created dozens of new resources for my newer cities. My 2nd game I abused solar collectors and replaced my generators with biowells. The miasma remover and solar collectors require no resources so those are easy to make.

Top Bottom