Anyone else notice what a cheap-ass the AI is now?!

JoeBas

Warlord
Been playing PTW for a few games now, and I've had to make a number of adjustments to my usual gameplaying strategy to make it through the "upgrades". I've already talked about how I have to wait a while to wage my first pogrom against the forces of evil (AKA whoever my nearest next door neighbor is) early, but this is something else...

My usual strategy is to spend the ancient times waging war against one or two (or if I'm really lucky, 3) neighbors, and grabbing all their turf to add to mine. This usually puts me behind a little bit from the leaders in researching technology, but I often used to make it up by doing a little trick I found.

I would research the "hard to get" technologies first in the Middle Ages (Engineering, Invention, Gunpowder, etc)... in addition to being more useful IMHO, I was usually able to (and still am able to) get caught up by trading one of those for 1 or 2 of the other ones I need. The problem arises beyond that.

Once I start going through the middle ages, I become more of a "Build/Defensive" player, and LOVE to get the science really cranking. I USED to do that by... selling technologies for booku cash per turn, then turning around and jacking my science bar up to 100%. Often I was able to keep my science rate at 100%, pay for all my stuff (max improvements in EVERY city, and strong defensive units)... and STILL be making 100-200 gp per turn. This also lets me get all the advances FIRST, and "pick and choose" which advances to "Sell", and thereby grab most of the wonders along the way.

Well, lo and behold, here in PTW, I've found the AI civilizations are 98% of the time WAY cheaper than they used to be... trying crap like offering me 20 gold and a world map for Gunpowder, despite the fact that they're pretty well off, and could really use the technology. The exception? This has happened twice in EACH of the 3 games I've played... at one point, I'll be "Making the rounds" trying to sell my wares, and getting rebuffed, then I'll stumble across one who, well, for lack of a better term, seems to have gone off their rocker.

Selling, say, Physics. (Countries and actual tech just an example)

India: "I'll give you 20 gp and a map"
Japan: "I'll give you a map"
England: "2gp per turn and a map"
Scandanavia: "I don't see how such a deal is possible (despite them having resources!)"
France : "I'll give you 856 GP (their entire treasury), 142 GP per turn, Any techs and luxuries I have, etc..." :o

Anyone else playing similarly or having similar, shall we say, "Bursts of extreme exhuberance" on the parts of the AI?

I noticed this too. :(

GIDustin

The first four are resaearching the tech in question and are nearly complete. The fifth AI is researching a different path. That's my guess at least.

I highly doubt that's the case... I'll go around every 20 turns, and this is typically the response I get... even if I try to sell them a different advance. For example, I'll try to sell them "Physics", they'll offer 20 gold & a map. So, I'll switch and offer them "Military Tradition" [if they're not a potential neighbor/enemy], and they'll offer... 20 gold & a map

One thing I noticed is the AI pays very well for the medicine tech. I am not sure why (other than it takes alot of research, even then its low compared to other in the era). It gives you nothing that I know of.

They once gave me twice what they offered for replaceable parts. What is up with that?

It's because (I think) that they tend to reserach the Steam Power-Industrailization line and the Espionage-Communism line, so they value it early on. And when they do research it, they will pay well for Sanitation (hospitals)

I didn't notice big changes on this.

What really hurts trading are the games in which I wage wars and the entire world knowing about it. Bad for my rep. If I go to war in ancient times, I see to it that the civ is destroyed before making contact to other civs.

???? where's the problem? They don't want to give you a luxury/resource for obvious reasons: a luxury makes a lot of people happy - far more valuable than a tech, and a resource makes you able to build advanced units - far too dangerous if you are a warmonger.

prices become very good btw once you reach Industrial times.

joebass-It looks to me like France had been tech-whoring the other civs (or had a monopoly on luxuries or something). France got to a tech first, sold it to all the other AI and bankrupting them. Thus, France was the only one with all the money. The other civs just could not afford to give anymore gpt payments.

My problem is I started playing Emp/Die when I got PTW, so I don't know what my problem is
:)
One very important lesson I learned though, if you have a big, bad, neighbor you better stay friends in the past games I've been playing. Once they get done picking on everyone else they will eventually get to me.

Nonononono... you're not understanding... when I say "resources", I mean a combination of gold, techs, luxuries and resources, resources in the general sense, I.E. no reason NOT to offer anything.

And it's not the case that the others are all bankrupt, many of them have enough money in their treasury and luxuries or technologies to trade, which in the past they'd be more than willing to do... it's just now they're being tightwads.

Top Bottom