Anyone else tired of razing enemy cities?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jjkrause84, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

...then stop conquering cities. Or annex them and take the hit to your social policies.

There is another thread on the general discussion forums discussing the lack of important decisions in Civ V. Well, here you have a series of important decision to make and priorities to figure out.

Do you conquer, or do you focus on developing your small empire. Do you puppet for the sake of your social policies or do you annex for finer control? You seem to want it all, unless I am misreading you. If control and social policies are your main priorities, the best path for you would probably be to forgo conquest in the first place.

2. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

It really has nothing to do with them being grateful as far as I'm concerned. If I liberate a civ it is in my own interest. Firstly they must vote for you in a Diplomatic victory, so that's one good reason to liberate a few cities. They are as good as a liberated CS in that regard.

But the main reason is once a few civs have been eliminated and you're hated and in wars with the others you have no trade partners. Liberate a city and gift them another and they quickly gain a ton of gold (all those TPs and no army = big profit). Then I sell stuff to this reinvigorated empire. I sell them the spare happy resources and strategic resources I have; I even sell them their old cities :lol:

There's a lot of gold in the liberation business and of course they're a buffer state that the AI will try to conquer again so another excuse to go to war on their behalf even if they are not grateful.

3. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

They have to be grateful, or the trade gold won't be as high as it normally is. The fact that we can make tons of money out of them points to the fact that liberated Civs are usually very, very, very grateful indeed.

4. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

If I conquer then puppet a size 1 city and then decide to annex it when it's a size 5 city, is the unhappiness penalty for occupation the same as if I conquered a size 5 city and decided to annex it? In other words, the size 1 city that I conquered and let grow to size 5 as a puppet had 4 of it's 5 population grow while it was part of my civ; the size 5 city that I conquered grew it's population to 5 as part of another civ.

So does it matter at all (for happiness) that 4 of the 5 "citizens" of the city I conquered and puppeted at size 1 were "born" while the city was part of my civ? Thanks in advance

5. Creepy Old Man

Creepy Old Man Warlord

But you don't have the 'avoid growth' option for puppets. So, either you annex it right away, when you may not have enough of a happiness buffer to do so comfortably, or you wait 'till it's a size 14 puppet, and as soon as you annex it you suffer a *huge* happiness hit.

Personally, I think it would be nice if there were a low priority for puppets to build courthouses, so if you have them in your empire you can eventually assimilate them without all the ugly unhappiness.

6. Warspite2

Warspite2 Prince

How is razing a city the best option? Puppet is always a better choice then to raze it and get absolutely nothing from it. Only thing smart about razing a city is if there is no way you can hold on to it and they will retake it. My last game I had 22 cities and all were puppets except 2.

7. CharlieM

CharlieM Creative, Spiritual

Um, because there is a huge Unhappiness hit for Puppets. And the Courthouse that deals with the problem is too expensive. I am still struggling to figure out how to have a larger empire that is not Unhappy. I hover around the zero point for Happiness all the time on Prince difficulty.

8. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

A vast majority of the problem is the unhappiness factor. Really - let me get this straight - I am winning the war - kicking names and taking ass and my population gets more and more pissed off???
    It is like the USA going into anarchy in April 1945. :rolleyes:

Rat

9. Elliot

Elliot Warlord

Can someone tell me how to raze a city? I can't seem to find the damn raze button in the UI.

10. Yzman

Yzman Deity

When you conquer a city, it is one of the options. You can't miss it.

11. DiabolicX

DiabolicX Chieftain

I dont understand people and this game. I have never razed a city or left it puppeted. A puppet is not meant to be had for a long term, its a short term solution. If you leave it puppeted you are doing it wrong.

Keep a 0-5 happieness buffer and as you get more smileys annex one at a time. If you cant keep a 0-5 buffer, lower the difficulty on your games or think of another way. There still is some strategy in this joke of a game you know. Just my two cents.

12. biohazard72

biohazard72 Prince

Puppets are sweet now. They focus on Gold improvements and avoid military/defence buildings. They're almost as good as me now, except of course micromanagement and build orders. Considering the increased SP cost with raze/resettle, I almost always puppet now.

Raze/resettle will always have a place though, because Courthouses are expensive and the happiness hit while annexing is large.

So, in summary: both strategies have uses for different purposes. It's actually one of the more balanced game mechanics ATM.