Anyone ever won a game without losing a unit?

Pogel

Warlord
I played a game last night - my first attempt at a OCC (Peter/Pangea/Prince/Normal Speed). I won the game with a space race in 2008. When I looked at the stats after the game I saw that I'd only lost 3 units (all scouts, one built) in the entire game. Certainly a record for me but it got me wondering if anyone had ever got the whole game without losses?

The OCC was a lot of fun. At the end I was researching at 800+ beakers and 350 hammers per turn.

Bast

Protector of Cats
Well, the first and most obvious question is, how many wars did you fight? If you fought none, then I guess you could easily get away with losing none.

And I haven't played a game without losing a unit or even close. I usually have to fight a few wars.

Great stats with Peter. I think he'll be awesome for OCC games.

Bast

Protector of Cats
One thing I'm curious about Peter. People have been saying that they find the Research Institute a useless UB. I was looking at the tech tree and saw that you can beeline towards Computers to get that building relatively early. Did you do that? I'm quite keen to check it out. I love free great people. :)

marioflag

History Addict
Well in one of my last games i was the best civ but was involved in a lot of wars so i was weakened.Peter was 4°-5° during all the game he wasn't really a menace.Anyway during the final stages of the game when i was involved with an endless struggle with my second opponent August i noticed that Peter had one tech above me, as soon as he researched Research Institute i couldn't simply match him in research.He won by space race.Research Institute can be really weakened because it comes too late, but if you have one of the Russian leaders in end game which is running for space race i would really advise you to crush him before he builds research institute because they can give the final boost to win the race.Consider also that unlike Laboratory Peter,Stalin or Catherine will prioritize the construction of Research Institute

ferenginar

Grand Nagus
I have won quite a few Civ II games without losing a unit, but none so far in Civ IV

Pogel

Warlord
Yes, I bee-lined computers to get the research institute. It's not a bad strategy for a space race anyway, as the AI tends to focus on the rocketry and plastics lines so you can usually get some good trades from the likes of Electricity and Radio. It's also on the way to Robotics and the space elevator, though I wasn't able to build that as I was too far south.

As for war, I actually declared war three times - though I only actually needed to provide moral support to my allies ;-)

Birdmanthepuny

Permanoob
I won once without losing a unit on an islands map. My starting land was isolated and pretty big and had three great city sites on it. I was Ghandi and went for cultur. The other civs were bunched up together and constantly at war, allowing me to rack up the CP. Love those caravels for spreading religion as well.:D

blitzkrieg1980

Octobrist
^^I've never played an island map. Is it fun? I usually like fractal or terra as they end up being more like the real world. I think I'll try an island game with Ragnar... Seems like a good idear ;)

Armorydave

Prince
Not that I remember but my kill ratio is frequently 5-1 or greater in my favor. It is possible that it happened in one of my culture wins from a island start.

Birdmanthepuny

Permanoob
blitzkrieg1980 said:
^^I've never played an island map. Is it fun? I usually like fractal or terra as they end up being more like the real world. I think I'll try an island game with Ragnar... Seems like a good idear ;)

It's not my favorite, especially if you get caught without a lot of room, but it adds an interesting challange. It helps to refine your naval skills as well.

Hitti-Litti

Deity
It is easy to win without losing units. Select Always Peace!

But seriously, that is quite impressive, Pogel

Olleus

Deity
More impressively, someone managed to complete a game at Noble without building a single military unit. I'll try to find the link it.

Red Door

Man of Mayhem
Yes, an all-peace game with little barbarians. I never lost one unit that game. But it was at Warlord level.

Bast

Protector of Cats
Lord Olleus said:
More impressively, someone managed to complete a game at Noble without building a single military unit. I'll try to find the link it.

I want to know which leader they did this with. And they must've agreed to everything AI asked for.

Olleus

Deity
I think it was Gandi, and it did end with diplo.

gettingfat

Emperor
I remember that game used no barbarian setting, which IMHO is a bit artificial.

Top Bottom