Anyone feel like the Tech Tree is too small?

Te_Wheki

Chieftain
I mean while Civ4 has the absence of the dark ages which means we race through medieval techs much faster than happened in real life, we are still arriving at modern age techs sometimes a millennium ahead of schedule. Anyone feel like there's a bunch of techs that could be added in to slow things down? I often feel like the game could have maybe another 200-500 years worth of techs thrown in at various points to slow things down a bit.

Bring back a few techs from previous versions like Automobile, Labour Union, and Warrior Code, those are just a couple of the top of my head not sure hoe Warrior Code could fit in these days but the other two would.

The tech tree is to small, but the like guy above me said mods are what you want for a fixed game.

Agree with the above. I havn"t played vanilla in a long time. Rom is a great mod, so is RI. HRW is also a good one that I like to play. All of these have an expanded tech tree which greatly enhances the flavor of the game.
Another suggestion is play on marathon or epic speed, you'll find that it greatly changes the entire game. RI mod is an epic example of this. I always leave the setting on "realistic" speed, and the effects definitely keeps me on my toes for the entire duration of the game.

Yes, I have sometimes the same feeling too. Not in terms of how fast we finish the tech tree and tech pace acceleration. But more as the limited tech trade possibilities. It would be so much fun with doubled tech trade possibilities.
And don't forget if the late game looks to get faster, it is due to settled and developped empire and the fact Firaxis rushed the late game.

Can anyone confirm whether the Civ IV tech tree is larger than the Civ III tech tree? I feel like it is, but that might be because they are all connected and not split into separate screens.

And yes, I have RoM, and that does satisfy the soul who longs for more technology. :)

Isn't Automobile already there?

Given the quote, Combustion seems equivalent to Automobile. Pity, I'd quite like the option of not inventing the things.

If you find you go too fast then just turn tech trading off, problem solved, right?

Top Bottom