Anyone get Coup d'etat by AI yet?

s0nny80y

Emperor
Second game I was squeezed between Brazil and France as KP in eternal conflict...half way through the game while in a defensive posture, France flips Mandira, my capital city. This is on Gemini btw. So I decided to siege all her cities after taking back Mandira. I thought it was funny hehe

Yes. My capital when I was a few turns from finishing transcendence. I honestly stared at my screen in astonishment for a minute or two straight.

I think I should read up on how spies work ;)

Not fun, I was on turn 356 all was going well, when my main city out of 3, turned purple to that Daoming woman!
WtH! Seemed unfair as I didn't have a clue this was going to happen. Spent 40 turns trying to retake my capital, only to lose heaps of units, eventually gave up.One day I am going to get alien seige worms to ride on and take my revenge!

A surveillance web in every city will allow you to completely ignore enemy spies.

On that note, a surveillance web turns the spy game into nothing more than a way to boost energy/science. It really hampers creative use of spies. They need to change the Surveillance Web so that it only reduces intrigue of successful enemy spy ops by 20% or so (effectively delaying the time it takes for your cities to increase intrigue by 25%)

I've had my capital stolen by an AI on the other side of the world, despite having a spy defending. Of course he had no units there, so I just immediately declared war and took it back.

I'm kind of amazed that they made capital cities a valid target for coups. I wonder if you could win a domination victory just through covert ops.

It happened to my capital too... I almost rage quitted... Then I figured probably I can avoid it by a spy.. So reloaded a save 1 turn earlier and sent a spy...it worked! So have a spy moving around into your cities.

I stopped reloading because it make you have the prefect game. That tend to be uneventful. That is why no matter what happen I do not reload unless I am about to lose. Like my last game on Apollo, I was on a peninsula (continent map) with limited space. All neighbors civ declared war on me because I killed a lot of wildlife and ignored their cries to stop expedition near them. It was strange since only 2 of the 4 civ were on my continent.

It set me back but I continued until I wiped the southern civ. During the entire game my capital intrigue was always increasing by 2 meaning everyone was doing stuff their. It got upto 5 intrigue but only lost it to the other civ massive army to the north when my army was half dead to the south. Took my capital and everything else :p. It was an interesting game. Would have been salvageable if the northern civ did not declare war on me.

To stop cpu's from coup-ing your city, just check the covert of all of your cities every once in a while. (well usually when you just got some energy and beakers from enemy civs) If any of your own cities are in the 3-4 intrigue stage you better place a spy to defend it. especially, you're capital city.

I stopped reloading because it make you have the prefect game. That tend to be uneventful. That is why no matter what happen I do not reload unless I am about to lose. Like my last game on Apollo, I was on a peninsula (continent map) with limited space. All neighbors civ declared war on me because I killed a lot of wildlife and ignored their cries to stop expedition near them. It was strange since only 2 of the 4 civ were on my continent.

It set me back but I continued until I wiped the southern civ. During the entire game my capital intrigue was always increasing by 2 meaning everyone was doing stuff their. It got upto 5 intrigue but only lost it to the other civ massive army to the north when my army was half dead to the south. Took my capital and everything else :p. It was an interesting game. Would have been salvageable if the northern civ did not declare war on me.

I usually don't use reloads either, but this coup happened in my 1st BE game, I even didn't know that such a mechanics exist, and you can loose your whole freaking capital due to actions of one agent!

Yes. My capital. And that was game over for me. I thought I had a spy stationed in the city, but perhaps not - I will have to go back and check the save. I usually don't quit over set backs, but this was such a fundamental oversight of major and powerful mechanic, that I had to.

You get a pop-up notice (along the right-hand edge of the screen) whenever the intrigue level of one of your cities is raised. So unless you are in the habit of ignoring those, or have turned them off in game settings, you really have no excuse. Coup d'tat is intrigue level 5 so you have 4 chances to notice something is amiss and send one of your own spies to the city to prevent it.

You can also check intrigue level in every city any time you want in the covert ops screen.

A spy alone is not enough to prevent it, it seems you need to get surveillance webs to really be safe.

You don't even have to keep him there; one spy can bounce between your cities conducting counterintelligence. In three games, intrigue has never gone above level 2 in any of my cities.

This is the biggest issue with spying i've seen so far. We finally have legit offensive options, but it's way too easy to detect, and then block, counter operatives, to the point that the system basically only exists vs the incompetent AI. You shouldn't even know the intrigue level in your cities until you send a spy there and have them set up a network or something, and i'd love it if your opponent could then do ops to bluff it (either show higher or lower if their op works).

Again...potential....

Top Bottom