[R&F] Anyone getting attacked?

Uncle_Joe

Prince
So I've had a rocky relationship with Civ6 since the beginning. I like a lot of the new concepts and mechanics, but the lack of AI threat has always led to me losing interest in my games about the time that the world starts to fill up (maybe early-mid Industrial). At that point it just feels like going through the motions and it seems like it would be a LOT of time spent hitting 'Next Turn' just to play a builder game.

I have a tentative hope for R&F and it certainly spiced up some of the dry middle game with more interesting choices. But here I am again in my first game and it's the end of the Renaissance and I've not once been attacked or threatened (other than by Barbarians) and all but one AI is 'Friendly' to me (despite me repeating refusing all of their requests for Iron etc).

And as before, since there doesn't appear to be any threat, I'm already starting to lose interest. I'm not leading in anything but Science, win or lose, it looks like the game is shaping up to be just another builder and clicking 'Next Turn' repeatedly. This is on King level (granted not super high, but I don't play a min-max enough game to compete with the massive bonuses given on the higher levels).

So how are others finding the AI in terms of aggression? I'm not even asking for it to be especially competent in war, but at least something to keep me on my toes and engaged while I'd going through the building. Are others being attacked? I've seen AI civs be attacked, but I'm always left alone and 'Friendly'....

Just finished my first R&F game on King, and I got a lot of declarations of war. Sometimes even from allies. Most of the time they wouldn't even send any units though. I fought two actual armies though, that invaded my territory.

The AI love to trade each other joint declarations of war against me, but they don't actually come to me. It's always civs who are really far away.

Genghis Khan did try to actually invade me on turn ~20, but it wasn't a very good invasion. I didn't have any units except my starting warrior, but I had already researched archery and had a lot of money, so... I bought 4 archers and killed him!

I've been attacked several times :( In fact for the first time with catapults! I've been playing really greedy though, so maybe they're on the lookout for nice cities to pick up ;)

I'm in my first game and Rome has been quick to get dissatisfied with me. I haven't been able to keep up in with the number of cities they've been putting down and they got the agenda for liking people with high populations, so that's a double negative to my Civ. Naturally, they declared war on me all on their own in the classical era just after they got a golden age.

If the expansion works like Vanilla, you usually have less to worry about after a Joint War declaration than an outright single civ Declaration. Joint War is usually the result of two civs with lukewarm (at best) plans to invade. If they declare by themselves it means they were eyeing you, thought about it for a while, and probably have a force ready to go.

Played an Immortal game to warm up, got DOW'd a lot, but I was also slayin left and right. A.I still can't attack you over oceans though. Oh well.

I’m still in my first game on emperor. After the medieval era it has been a state of constant war. Either several civs DOW me or they take a city-state that I’m a suzerain of and I get an emergency to liberate it. The AI didn’t have very many red diplo modifiers until I got fed up with them and started taking a few cities each time they DOW me.

put game on domination victory condition and remove the rest.

I had to restart three times because of early invasions, but that's occasionally been a thing in vanilla too (though I feel like it got worse). In my first real game, I've actually lost two different cities to Kongo at varying points despite being stronger and having an ever increasing lead because he caught me off guard (first time I didn't have enough of an army and he came at me with some catapults to tear down my wall, second time he took a coastal city with a bunch of ironclads), which is about as much as the total cities I've lost post-Ancient Era in all my vanilla civ 6 games.

Also had a random joint DoW from the other continent but all I lost from that was my scout.

put game on domination victory condition and remove the rest.

Pretty sure AI doesn't look at that.

Yeah, the AI still builds spaceship parts if you disable the space victory, so disabling non-domination victory conditions just makes the game easier for the human.

youre pretty wrong than...dozens of games with no vic conditions and not so much war..dom game and they attack from everywhere.

Its been a problem since vanilla game. AI only decalres war through joint war when a another AI offers them a trade deal to declare war... They will never declare a suprise war or formal war(denounce and declare).

so you could have games where the AI will never declare war on you because they don't have good trade deals but hate you and yo ucan have games the AI is friendly and declares war on you constantlly..

I feel like the main complaint for VI is that the AI has been too aggressive when it comes to war declarations, especially when it comes to seemingly out-of-the-blue joint wars. I just finished a game on King (Quick) and had war declared on me 9 times despite never forward settling/breaking a promise/taking a city. Phillip had the Flirtatious agenda and attacked me thrice for being male, Chandragupta's just aggressive to neighbors in general, and Teddy + Jadwiga didn't like that I was allied with their enemy Tamar--none of these being anything related to my own aggression. Only two were joint war declarations, the rest were either surprise wars (Teddy twice) or formal wars (mostly Phillip).

So I didn't commit a single act of war the entire game but managed to be in conflict for most of it. They're all agenda-related so I'm don't think the declarations were unreasonable (other than the joint ones), but it definitely wasn't peaceful at all. It was the same in vanilla, where being declared war on is inevitable by the mid game.

I am still trying to finish my first game as Zulu. No one has DOW me, because I have been doing all the DOWs. I am playing on King, but I wish I chose Deity. Shaka is strong as hell. I thought about stopping my war machine and just science the rest out, but Aztec is on the other side of the map and they have been taking cities and have a ton of luxuries. That made my decision to roll the whole map to where he is pretty easy to make.

In my King game Japan and India seem to have some kind of military alliance. Since the medieval era they only declare joint wars, as it seems. First against me (they only sent a small force but caught two of my scouts while boated) and then against Australia which they seem to fight now.

Every game I've played so far I've had at least one neighbor show up at my doorstep with 6 units or more at a time. It's actually kind of scary and I feel like I really need to invest in defenses unlike vanilla. And this is only on Prince

I guess maybe I'm just unlucky though based off others experiences.

In my first R&F game, I had both neighbors (Georgia and Spain) declare a joint war against me pretty early (start of classical era). They did not send any units against me. However, 2 city states also joined the war and they did attack me with a lot of units and managed to raze one of my new cities and almost razed the second one, before I made peace. In R&F, you definitely want to invest ASAP in some units and in ancient walls or you will be attacked.

Playing my first R&F game, as the Cree on King, I had the pleasure of discovering my two next door neighbors were Chandagupta and Shaka. I didn't even pre-select any AI civs.

Shaka solo declared a surprise war on me in the ancient era. He actually sent a good deal of warriors, slingers and spearmen my way, and if I wasn't able to recall all my super-scouts to come snipe at them I might have lost a city. And at that point I imagine it'd basically be over with Shaka.

Then rolled in the joint DOWs. I've been at war with everyone (on a large map) besides a couple other civs. No one's been a threat since Shaka, though I have a good buffer of jungles and mountains around me on three sides, and a dark-age dwarf Arabia on the last. I kind of doubt they'd be a threat no matter what though. The joint DOWs always seemed pretty pointless, and just a matter of time before the aggressors come back bashfully with a nice peace offering package. That probably didn't change. I dunno yet, I'm still at war with everyone in that game.

And they really had no reason to DOW on me, which is a little immersion-breaking. We had decent relations, I had a good military, and any city of mine they'd manage to take would end up with a lot of loyalty pressure. Maybe because less than half of my cities had walls? Strategically they didn't need to have them. I don't know how the metrics work.

OK thanks all. So it sounds like some people are seeing DoWs. I'll keep playing my current game and see where it goes.

Are y'all who are seeing the DoWs on higher levels than King or are people seeing them even at Prince and King?

Top Bottom