Anyone Got a List of all City Names?

Default path is:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

List for America:

<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WASHINGTON</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NEW_YORK</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BOSTON</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHILADELPHIA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ATLANTA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHICAGO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SEATTLE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAN_FRANCISCO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LOS_ANGELES</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HOUSTON</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PORTLAND</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ST_LOUIS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MIAMI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BUFFALO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DETROIT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NEW_ORLEANS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BALTIMORE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DENVER</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CINCINNATI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DALLAS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MEMPHIS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CLEVELAN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KANSAS_CITY</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAN_DIEGO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_RICHMOND</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LAS_VEGAS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHOENIX</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ALBUQUERQUE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MINNEAPOLIS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PITTSBURGH</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OAKLAND</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TAMPA_BAY</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ORLANDO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TACOMA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SANTA_FE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OLYMPIA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HUNT_VALLEY</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SPRINGFIELD</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PALO_ALTO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CENTRALIA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SPOKANE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_JACKSONVILLE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAVANNAH</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHARLESTON</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAN_ANTONIO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OMAHA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BIRMINGHAM</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HONOLULU</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ANCHORAGE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SACRAMENTO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SALT_LAKE_CITY</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_RENO</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BOISE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MILWAUKEE</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SANTA_CRUZ</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MONTEREY</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SANTA_MONICA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LITTLE_ROCK</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_COLUMBUS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LE_BAM</City>

Then you'll get unused city names of other civs (not represented in the game you're playing I believe). Btw, many city names list are mediocre at best..

What's the best way to edit XML files?

What's the best way to edit XML files?

The easiest way is the civ iv xml editor. It filters out some of the unnessecary stuff and helps the untrained brain (like mine) decypher it. There are some things it just can't do however, so you'd need a backup. opening it in notepad or any text editor works. I was recently turned on to jedit, which color codes different parts and makes it alot easier on the eyes than notepad. I hear notepad++ is good as well but haven't tried it.

Is Cleveland really misspelled in the standard xml?

Never heard of Hunt Valley, Le Bam, or Centralia (though I suspect that last one lies somewhere between Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas).

EDIT: Whoa, is Centralia the real-life Silent Hill?

Never heard of Hunt Valley, Le Bam, or Centralia (though I suspect that last one lies somewhere between Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas).

No, these are just XML keys. So Cleveland is still spelled correctly in the game.

There are Centralia cities all over the US.

First off, never alter your original files. Naterator if you're going to tell people how to mod things, let them know how to do it right please.

To mod civ4 without altering the original files is easy. Simply take the file you want to edit, and copy it over to your Custom Assets folder, and mess around with the copy in your custom assets. The game will load the custom assets over anything else, and that way you wol't screw yourself up by breaking your original civ4 files.

The easiest way is the civ iv xml editor. It filters out some of the unnessecary stuff and helps the untrained brain (like mine) decypher it. There are some things it just can't do however, so you'd need a backup. opening it in notepad or any text editor works. I was recently turned on to jedit, which color codes different parts and makes it alot easier on the eyes than notepad. I hear notepad++ is good as well but haven't tried it.

I disagree, and think that's bad advice. Notepad++ is just better then any special XML editor. XML specifically exists because it is easy to read by humans, and doesn't take a programmer to understand. It's format is clear and simple, this is it:

<SomeDateValue>X</SomeDateValue>

Where X is the value stored, usually a number, but sometimes a string if the variable it's storing date for is a string (strings are a series of letters instead of numbers, an example of as string in the civ4 XML is UNIT_WARRIOR).

Basically all the XML editors do is confuse things. They may make it somewhat more shortcutted at first, but really it doesn't simplify anything in the long run, and usually ends up adding extra steps to what is otherwise a simple process of looking for the tag you want (the tags in Civ4 are intutively named, like iCombat is the combat strength, iCost is the hammer cost, etc), and changeing the value.

So basically if you want to edit the XML just use notepad or notepad++ if you want to do it alot. That's already the simplest and easiest way to do it. I use notepad++, which is free and easy to use, also color codes things nicely. Of course if you're just going to edit a single file once or twice to add a strength point to a unit or something, it's probably not worth it to get notepad++.

Agreed, only make changes in your "mod" file... where I have all my changes...
Centralia, very common...
Springfield... more than 50, which means, at a minimum, some states have more than one... Hence, Zip Codes.

Top Bottom