1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here with Hydrocephalus?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JerichoHill, May 13, 2009.

1. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

I've been absent for about a month because of a stream of CT and MRI scans. It's been wild. One second I'm getting my sinus infection looked at, the next I'm being told my brain is ... different. Turns out I have a form of compensated hydrocephalus. Thankfully, I don't have to have a shunt put in unless I ever stop compensating. The doc's don't really understand what causes compensation to occur, but it did in my *rare* case.

As I've learned, it's pretty common, something along the lines of 1 out of every 250 American children have a form of hydrocephalus. I was born with mine but I compensated and I was born before CT scans became commonplace, so I could have gone my whole life not knowing!

So, anyone?

(As an interesting aside, when I was first being diagnosed one of my best female friends [and an ex-gf to boot] called me up because she had been born with hydrocephalus. That probably ranked as one of the best phone calls I ever had).

2. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

I'd never even heard of it before you posted about it. I had a few scans done about six months ago after my car accident... can't say they ever said that I had any issues other than maybe me bruising my chest from the seatbelt. I just had a chest X-ray done two days ago and that looked fine too.

3. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Jericho, glad to hear you are ....hmm...compensating well (hopefully you are feeling ok too). You may want to explain to the audience at large about hydrocephalus for those who arent sure what your talking about. How was the fluid affecting you? And how were you compensating?

4. Narz

Narz keeping it real

My ex-GF's little cousin had it. His case was pretty severe & caused mental impairment.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Not sure, never heard of it. You should post a description of the affliction in the OP.

JerichoHill, glad to hear you're okay.. hope this continues!

6. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Its a condition where excess fluid (i.e. water, ie. hydro) is in or around the brain. The resulting extra pressure of the fluid can cause a variety of problems/defects.

7. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

I'm surprised this is supposedly more common than Down Syndrome. What sort of problems/defects are most common? If they can be attributed to other conditions then that might explain why I can't ever remember knowing someone with hydrocephalus before.

8. Sharwood

Sharwood Rich, doctor nephew

This killed my sister. A variant of it, anyway.

By compensation, do you mean your brain found a way to work despite the increased pressure?

I may be a carrier for the same form of it that killed my sister, but I don't know, because, like you JH, I was born before they did these tests. Nowdays I apparently only need a blood-test to determine whether or not I have it, but I've never bothered to do so. If I ever feel like having children, I will.

My eldest and youngest brothers - I'm ten years older than the next eldest, by the way - aren't carriers, but the middle one is, and it's from my mother, not their father - who is different to my biological father - so there's a good chance I am a carrier. 25% if I remember my biology correctly. If two carriers breed, the child will definitely have it, whereas if only one parent is a carrier, the odds are slimmer.

9. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Post a picture of your MRI or CT scan!

10. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Sorry to hear it JH, hope you are doing OK. Weird, only yesterday I axed had you been seen round these parts

11. JerichoHill

Hydrocephalus is basically a condition where the ventricles (spaces in our head that produce and move brain fluid around our brain and down to our spine) are abnormally enlarged. Sometimes the ventricles get so large that they push brain matter against the skull, or leak fluid, destroying brain matter.

For info, check out hydroassoc.org

You can be born with it, or you can acquire it a number of different ways, including infection, trauma, cancer, etc. Mine I was born with, apparently. Mobby probably knows about it because I know its sometimes caused by combat injury. In the ventricle system, there is one channel called an aqueduct. Mine is narrower than normal, so I was born with some birth defect that caused it.

However, sometimes the increased pressure opens up other pathways for the fluid to get through. That's what we call compensating hydrocephalus. And that's what I have. I could stay that way for years or decades, it may never be an issue for me. Obviously the condition hadn't greatly impacted me, aside from very subtle behaviors, like toe-walking rather than heel-walking, for one. My eyesight (needing glasses) may be another.

12. JerichoHill

Sorry to hear that. I guess they didn't shunt him early enough

13. JerichoHill

Indeed! In young kids, there would be headaches, nausea, bad vomiting, behavioral disorders, etc. They would have to do a CT scan to see a hint at it, then an MRI.

For adults, the chief symptom would be declining work performance.

Approximately 5-10% of Alzheimer's patients actually have a form of hydrocephalus instead. It's been shown that once diagnosed and properly shunted, these folks gain most of what they lost back (also saving $$$ in healthcare, because shunting is cheap and a very easy procedure, relatively speaking).

14. JerichoHill

I am not sure if you are talking about hydrocephalus, because only 1 form is genetically-linked through the X Chromosome.

15. Sharwood

:dunno:

It was referred to as hydrocephalus by the doctor. I'm no doctor, so I have to rely on that guy for my info.

16. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Have you noticed a change in your performance or behaviour recently JH? Is it a progressive disease?

17. JerichoHill

Nothing changed that I am aware of. This was a completely incidental finding b/c I had a CT scan of my sinuses.

If my condition decompensated, then it would be a very gradual progressive deterioration of my mental condition. Depending on how gradual, it may not have an effect for months, years, or decades. It's not well understood.

That said, because we now know about it, I'll be in a monitoring regime of regular MRI's every 6 months. If there ever was a change, we would see it far before I ever had problems caused by it, and any change would be reversible with the shunting procedure. After having a few weeks to look at the situation, it's actually a very fortunate finding for me.

I have had a low-grade tension headache ever since the CT scan. I guess I'm stressed and its going to take awhile to work its way out of my system.

18. JerichoHill

Shar,

I am sorry. I was wrong on X-linked Hydro. It does appear that its almost always passed from Mother to Son. So I think it is critical that your future mother of your children not have the trait.

19. Sharwood

Yeah, I asked a med student - neurosurgery - friend of mine at uni today, and she said the same thing. Didn't want to call my mother and ask about it, for obvious reasons.