1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone interested in an Orbis Succession Game?

Discussion in 'Orbis Modmod' started by Bootsiuv, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Bootsiuv

Bootsiuv Prince

Hey....was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing a little succession game on Orbis, for s**** and giggles.

Settings could be worked out....was looking for about 5+ people.

Let me know if you'd be interested.

Please note: My comp has a hard time handling games larger than standard/10 civs, so please lets keep the settings under this if possible (otherwise, I may not be able to play)

2. A Golden Dragon

A Golden Dragon Golden Dragon

i'm interested :)

3. Dominicius

Dominicius Chieftain

There are a few things that need to be addressed before Orbis becomes viable as for a Succession game.

One thing is that the AI never declares war. Ever. I played the game on aggressive AI and pangea and I had no wars for about 250 turns.
    Second is how utterly impossible it is to take a capitol. You need to bring an adept with shadow mana to negate to first strike bonus (dance of blades is also almost a must have), catapults to negate the insane defense bonus and some Ring of Fire type spell to weaken the defenders to manageable levels. This completely screws civ that have poor research.
    And third is that you need to do a Play Now mode every time you start the game, otherwise Orbis becomes buggy as hell. If even one of us loads a save without going Play Now first then the resulting glitches will remain even if the next person does it right.

4. Bootsiuv

Bootsiuv Prince

That's unfortunate....well, we could always try a base FfH succession game if anyone's interested, although I've played Orbis for so long I don't even remember the tech tree, let alone tile/improvement yields, unit differences, etc.

I'm just extraordinarily bored....a few easy days of work this week and then I have several days off, so I figured I would get the word out now, in case anyone is interested.

5. Ahwaric

Ahwaric Shrubbery-hugger

You are entitled to your opinion. But I disagree.

I have seen much different scenarios. But will test it more.
    Harder? Yes. Impossible? Don't think so.
    Capitols get boost in early game, but if you have nice army the bonus is not that big, and even more so in late game.
    Does bless make armies invincible? Because the bonus is comparable.
    That is standard BtS behaviour, and I do not see many people complaining about BtS being unplayable because of that. It has drawbacks that made Kael disable that option, but it has some good sides too.
    You need to use play now option if you change mods - no need to do that if you play Orbis only. I am not even sure if you need to do that if you switch between Orbis & BtS only.
    By the way, changing ForceGameOptions = 0 to 1 in Orbis.ini takes care of this problem.

6. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I'd be interested in January (no access to cIV here)

7. Bootsiuv

Bootsiuv Prince

Hmmm, well, that's two people, so it's a start....I could wait till january. No biggie.

8. Vainglory

Vainglory Chieftain

I'd be insterseted depending on Civilization/Difficulty.

9. attackdrone

attackdrone Warlord

I would be interested in a Succession Game. My preference would be for an Orbis 0.30 game when the update is released. Any civ/leader combination would be fun for me, but here are two suggestions:

1- Perpentach. Possibly the ultimate succession game character, because any discrepancies in style, religion, civics, are easily explained

2- Any minor leader with an appropriate major leader of the same civ in the game. Could be described as the "Rise of Lamalha" or "Mahon the Butcher's Coup D'etat" depending on how relations with your other self go.

Well, in my last several games let me see here.

Mazatl game: Playing as the Good Mazatl I was able to (by dedicating myself to it) sack the Evil Mazatl capital and capture it fairly early on, ending the civil war. Nobody ever declared war on me though that game, I was too powerful. Plenty of other wars were declared however.

Clan of Embers game: I did not take a capital in the early game, but around turn 120, captured the Evil Mazatl capital (Yes they are my favorite whipping boy) because they had land I wanted. Smash. Turn 240 or so captured the Sheaim capital and razed it (Order Orcs do not like Ashen Veil Sheaim). Smash. There were the usual forced wars of Basium vs Ashen Veil. Also the Hippus under Tasunke attacked me once. The Doviello under Charadon attacked the Hippus and Grigori, starting two wars.

Amurite game: No capitals captured in the game, when the AI vs AI wars got near that point, one side was ready to capitulate. Wars I remember being declared - Mahon the Butcher of the Calabim attacked me (we were crowded). I beat them, got them to switch to Overlords, and started a defensive pact. The Calabim then attacked the Luchuirp and asked me to join in (I did so to get towards a permanant alliance). Sandalphon/Basium attacked me. Then Tasunke attacked me. Perpentach vassalized to Sandalphon and Lamalha (Kuriotates) to Tasunke. So this is six people at once trying to combine forces against the Amurite/Calabim alliance. After these wars were concluded the two big alliance blocs immediately went at it (the very next turn). With Tasunke/Lamalha going up against Sandalphon/Basium/Perpentach. Note that none of these civs were Ashen Veil.

Bannor game (hotseat/ongoing): Barring the usual culprits, the two human players - each of us have had an AI attack us. Duke Ivelleth of the elves attacked my counterpart (who went Lanun/Overlords/Evil) and Charadon of the Doviello attacked me (who was Tethira/Runes/Good). Perpentach also declared war on Beeri Bawl even though they both shared Runes of Kilmorph religion and he was no longer evil.

Calabim game (ongoing): Pretty early in the game but the Scions of Patria have already declared war against their close neighbor, the Luchuirp, with an inconclusive result. I as the Calabim popped a dungeon next to my capital on turn 3, getting Dwarves vs Lizardmen. The dwarves both survived, then went on with my starting warrior to raze the nearby Bannor capital.

So there's some feedback on AI behavior. No special game options other than "No Tech Brokering" "Permanent Alliances" and "Increasing Difficulty" starting at Monarch are enabled.