1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Not believe we are causing Global Warming?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Abaddon, Dec 26, 2006.

?

Do Humans cause Global Warming?

1. Yes - American

33.2%
  2. No - American

11.5%
  3. Yes - Non American

48.4%
  4. No - Non American

6.9%
  1. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

If you read anything worth reading, generally they take account of natural processes as much as they can. Of course it's not possible to completely clean up data, it's too complicated to weed out everything, but your average scientist is not going to publish anything unless they have something they believe has real anthroopgenic change with as little interference or allowing as much for interference as possible.

From what I've gleaned from a small amount of learning, essentially the process is to confirm the data has taken account of all other factors before it comes to a conclusion and of course the conclusion is subject to peer review, which will further weed out statistical errors. But then I think as usual we agree about these matters.

2. shadowdude

shadowdude cynic in training

That is a priceless quote.

I think it makes sense that Human activities release CO2 could insulate the earth and cause climate change.

3. TheDervish

TheDervish Scion of the Achaemenids

Humans milk and consume them.

4. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

Actually, most of Europe has. Even places like France and the UK are doing well, and they didn't have the German benefit of shutting down East German industry.

It is mostly us North Americans and those Aussies (funny considering that their drought issues are causing so much pain) amongst the developed world.

Come on skadistic. Step one for any AA meeting: admitting you have a problem. "My name is Skadistic and I have a carbon problem"

5. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Because it's a compicated issue, which is tied up in politics, so many scientists are hard pressed to remain unbiased, but many do.

England is the only country to meet it's Kyoto protocol promises and the EU is on course to meet them. So yes we have or at least we have tried. Which means I can get on my high horse by the law of high horses, and prod those who have done nothing, or near to nothing :)

6. MjM

MjM Deity

Damn! I voted the wrong one. I don't think humans have much to do with global warming. Climate changes happen WITHOUT humans.

7. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

That is a logical fallacy. Just because climate change can happen without humans, it doesn't mean humans cannot also contribute to it. They are not mutually exlusive.

8. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

That's ok my mistaken vote cancels out yours. Any reason you believe that humans aren't having an effect or an appreciable one?

9. MjM

MjM Deity

Yes, humans do contribute to climate change, but not nearly as catastrophic as people suggest.

10. MjM

MjM Deity

Pretty simple, Earth has gone through dozens of warming, cooling, freezing, thawing, and repeated all again, periods before humans. Now, we may effect it slightly, but not throwing our Earth into haywire.

11. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Have you researched the issue, any links you'd care to use to back up your sentiment, what is this view based on? I'm not badgering you honest, I'm as open to free dialogue as anyone.:)

12. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

This seems to be another American troll thread. Very interesting how the poll was targeted but I digress....

I doubt any scientist will deny global warking or whether humans have an impact. However, how much evidence is there that humans are the main cause. From what I understand over the past 100 years most of the climate community has agreed since 1988 that global mean temperatures have increased on the order of one degree Fahrenheit over the past century, having risen significantly from about 1919 to 1940, decreased between 1940 and the early '70s, increased again until the '90s, and remaining essentially flat since 1998.

So to reverse the question can anyone prove "scientifically" that the Kyoto Protocol would positively impact global warming?
    So how much of this was human generated?

More recently, a study in the journal Science by the social scientist Nancy Oreskes claimed that a search of the ISI Web of Knowledge Database for the years 1993 to 2003 under the key words "global climate change" produced 928 articles, all of whose abstracts supported what she referred to as the consensus view.

In the meantime, a British social scientist, Benny Peiser, checked her procedure and found that only 913 of the 928 articles had abstracts at all, and that only 13 of the remaining 913 explicitly endorsed the so-called consensus view. Several actually opposed it.

So again to twist the question, how much of what we are fed is scientific illiteracy twisted by the media?

I guess I fall into the "show me" camp of global warming.

13. MjM

MjM Deity

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/26/1101219743320.html

An intresting article that talks about global warming skeptics and other things, and in the middle of it, tells when we last experienced similar tempature growths, and carbon levels.

Now, as it said, 10,000 years seems like a long time, but Earth may be billions of years old, and every 10,000 years is not much. Same with 400,000 ,larger than 10,000 but still not very large in the scope of things.

14. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Absolutely, but natural processes are still potent. IIRC from my environmental engineering textbook the estimated impact of insolation variation is about 15% (that number is pretty crude, and could be off by a factor of 2) as much CO2 changes, certainly that's a significant componant.

15. Neomega

Neomega Deity

everything has an effect on everything. The question is how much.

And for that, I am skeptical that human caused global warming is causing more than 2% of our atmospheric temperature increases.

16. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Has the Earth warmed up a bit in the last century? Yes. Will it likely continue to warm up? Yes. Have human beings had an impact on global warming? Possibly. Are humans the sole, or even major cause of global warming? I doubt it.

17. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

That's an exceptionally good article MjM and long so I've editorialised some of it's points.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/26/1101219743320.html

I am skeptical though that the lavoisier members are mostly conservative businessmen that have a serious reason to be biased against any concensus. Particularly in Australia. It's alot like the Bush cronies, but at least it's tried to be more scientific. Anyway an interesting article.

18. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

True although in the past the warming and cooling cycles were much much milder then the server spike we are now experiencing.

19. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

So durring the year Washington crossed the Delaware in a year called 'the year with no summer' that was a mild swing?

20. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    No, I dont see humans causing Global Warming. The Earth goes through these cycles of warming and cooling periods.