1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Not believe we are causing Global Warming?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Abaddon, Dec 26, 2006.

?

Do Humans cause Global Warming?

1. Yes - American

33.2%
  2. No - American

11.5%
  3. Yes - Non American

48.4%
  4. No - Non American

6.9%
  1. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Its quite ignorant to say that humans dont contribute at all.

2. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Actually looking at single years or even a small trend is pointless(5 years, ten) So mild or freezing, that is not relevant, what scientists tend to look at is emergent and consistent trends, not this year it was mild, and it was in this country it's never been below 5 degrees C here, in December they were still harvesting rasberries and various other autumn fruits,but it's meaningless, but global mean temperatures on the other hand over 200 years.

Sadly though what your missing is that in the past these cycles were slow on geographical or solar scales or where based on eruptions or natural events, now they are at a pace that is worrying, it's not that the Earth is gradually heating it's that the Earth hasn't seen such heating in 40,000 years without certain other factors being present, no one has seen anything on this scale in our recent history, and they are at a loss to explain it by normal warming trends.

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Do you have anything better to do than calling people ignorant? :rolleyes:.

Did humans caused the warming period during the Middle Ages? No

4. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Well then is then and now is now.

When did you think i was talking about. If i say "humans are contributing to global warming", thats present tense, meaning now.

Therefore your comment about the middle ages is irrelevent.

5. GenMarshall

Sorry, but my comment about the middle age warming period is relevent to the topic in hand. Ever heard of the little ice age? I guess not with your ignorance on climate history.

After the dark ages, we came out of the cold period and into the Middle Age Warm Period, then we entered the Little Ice Age. After the Little Ace age we entered a warming period. Ergo, I dont see humans causing Global Warming but insted see it as the cycle of the Earth's Climate going through periods of warm and cool periods.

6. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

What ever made you think i denied natural warming and cooling cycles?

Those periods dont happen so fast and regardless your wrong in thinking humans dont contribute.

CO2 and carbon monoxide are greenhouse gasses and they are emitted from cars and factories.

If you deny that effects anything then your just wrong!

7. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Was alot different than what we're seeing now as I mentioned, this period is far quicker and on a scale we haven't experienced for 40,000 years, we could explain the middle age phenomina by normal means, by agricultural growth by trees being cut down by whatever, solar periodical warming, normal means etc, we can't explain this because it's much faster than the other periods of warming and freezing, therefore we have to ask a very pertinent question: if it isn't the usual suspects, geological movement, the suns movements, sun activity,volcanic activity then what is it?

8. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

What is with people coming to the conclusion that just because past changes were not caused by humans, present changes must not be caused by humans?

Do you honestly think that it is coincident that present changes are so highly correlated with increases in greenhouse gas emissions? And to expand on Sidhe's point, this isn't a small swing like has been seen historically. This is a severe and rapid swing and it is certainly not just coincidentally associated with human activity.

9. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

What data do you base this off of?

10. GenMarshall

You have said yourself that my comments about the Middle Age Warming period are "irrelivent"

Your argument holds as much weight as a five year old, Please quit acting like a child and saying to people who dont agree with you "your wrong" :rolleyes:. I dont know who says "Your wrong, I'm right" more, you or a Child?

I still stand by that humans dont contribute to causing Global Warming and I would appreciate it that you respect other people's views than acting like a child if someone does not agree to your views.

11. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Well sorry, but the middle ages are irrelevent when it comes to global warming caused by humans. And thats what you argued in your first response to me.

Well then argue with reasons not against me personally. You arent bringing up reasons.

Your feelings are wrong. And your facts are wrong. Therefore you are wrong completely!

12. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

We are causing global warming. It's our lack of care for nature that's what causing it.

13. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

damit i voted yes i meant no

14. GenMarshall

I based the data by looking at the climate history of the planet. Look up any climate data from the past 1000 years from ice cores as well as the evidence that MjM has posted.

Sorry but they are relevent. I myself dont believe that humans are causing a Global Warming but insted hold that its just a natural part of the Earth's cycle of warming and cooling.

Go to your room, I will get you your bottle soon. Honestly the more you say "you are wrong" without giving me any such data just makes me think that youre arguing like a five year old.

I will tell you that I am arguing with reason and I am bringing up reasons, I base my reasonings behind the article that MjM has presented. Now quit whining "youre wrong".

15. greenpeace

greenpeace Peacelord

I meant to vote yes, humans are causing global warming.

16. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

How old is the world? How old is humanity? How many cycles of warming and cooling have happended in those times? How many sudden disruptions have altered the cycles? How many volcanoes have errupted and how many times in the last 40 years? Why was the medevil age so hot? How long did that last? What followed? How long did that last?

17. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I think your offended because you know you cant back up your argument. Thats why your attacking me. Thats a logical fallacy.

So do you have any facts against humans causing global warming?

18. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Just to clarify CG, that article does not say why humans dont contribute to global warming.

19. MjM

MjM Deity

Humans do contribute, but the article merely points out how small our contributition is in the scope of the world.

20. GenMarshall

Actauly, I am not offended and no I am not attacking you. I know I can back up my argument. If you want facts, look for it on your own. I don't do anyone else's homework.

Saying "Your wrong" implies to me that your acting like a child. Do I go around saying "your wrong" to people that do not agree with me? No and I expect more out of you and move out of the "Child Argument (Where you say "Youre wrong" to someone who does not agree with your views).

Yes I do, and since you demand facts. Here is your bottle to keep you quiet.

Linky by MjM on the skepticism of Global Warming.
    Greenhouse gas vary, but are generally around 10-100 times lower than water weight for weight, leaving a "net" greenhouse effect of man-made CO2 emissions at less than 1%.
    Global Temperatures are also effected by sunspot activities, Here and here. The studies of humans causing global warming are in an error or have not reproduced any results Linky. Urban Heat Islands have skewed much of the results Linky.
    Correlation does not imply causation in which just because temperatures have risine since the start of the Industrial Revolution does not mean that Industrialisation have caused the change in temperature Linky.