1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Not believe we are causing Global Warming?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Abaddon, Dec 26, 2006.

?

Do Humans cause Global Warming?

1. Yes - American

33.2%
  2. No - American

11.5%
  3. Yes - Non American

48.4%
  4. No - Non American

6.9%
  1. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Where'd you get that number. Assuming your number is somewhat correct, many of these animals died without humans existing. If we look at the populations of certain animals with humans alive, your number goes down signifigantly.

2. Neomega

Neomega Deity

That is direct and measurable impact, because the size of the populations of the animals are small. apples and oranges.

3. Shadowlord

Shadowlord Rare Poster!

Humans existed and were capable of killing off species for a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the duration during which life has existed on earth. This does not make human actions irrelevant.

If over X centuries humans have caused the extinction of Y species, and over X*1000000 years there have been Y*100000 extinctions, what does this tell you? It does not tell you that humans are inconsequential. It tells you that humans killed species at ten times the rate that nature did. (That was an example, not real numbers)

This is essentially what has happened with us pumping tons of carbon dioxide and pollutants into the atmosphere, in addition to killing off or depleting numerous species, and radically changing the environment in other ways. We are making these changes at a far faster rate than nature ever did.

4. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

In the study I posted the authors question Mann's graph because it only includes a single proxy, tree ring data from western North America. According to that piece Mann admitted that if it's removed then the calibration and verfication procedures fail.

5. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

Humans weren't industrialised in the Middle Ages. Adding CO2 to the atmosphere has put the global cycle out of balance. Couple that with deforestation - reducing the amount of CO2 that can be taken out and you have a serious problem.

Ignorance will be the death of humans. The American government is following that path of destruction. We rely on other organisms to survive. The more we kill off, the more we limit the human population and the more destruction we cause to the world.

It's not going to be entirely human fault. There will always be a couple of other factors. However, we know that we are contributing a great deal to global warming. Humans need to put aside their selfishness and attempt to at least halt the increase in temperature that we have caused.

It won't be too much of a problem in our lifetimes but if we don't do something to stop it now then terrible things will happen in the future.

6. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

Looking at certain animals gives a skewed number you have to look at all.

Since man has been around you can say my number goes down negligibly. How old is the earth as compared to how old humanity is as anything greater then a tree monkey eating fruits?

Now how many plants and animals extinction at the hands of man directly or indirectly compared to how many are around right now is still a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

Its like the climate. How much is a direct result of man? 2-3% One volcano in a week can produce more pollution then entire counties in a year.

(and 99% number came from 'The History Channle' about an hour, hour and a half ago. It was at the begining of the 10 greatest threats to man programme.)

7. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

News Flash! The americans are not the only ones that release greenhouse gases!

8. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

Just makes them insignificant.

9. Neomega

Neomega Deity

That was his point. Global warming happens with or without us... and Has anybody figured out why it happened during the middle ages?

A great deal compared to what? Compared to how much thermal vents and volcanoes release? I doubt it.

Compared to how much algae is growing in the ocean due to increasing temeratures?

I need to see some hard-evidence. Plus I have seen quite a few ingenious proposals for blocking global warming, such as large plastic satellites and such.

10. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

You're using a skewed number as your example that humans aren't killing a lot of animals compared to the natural environment.

That's all I said, all I implied.

11. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

I have a question? Why is the poll singling out Americans vs. the rest of the world, as if all Americans could potentially be lumped together in believing the same thing.

I think you'll find a wide variety of opinions here in America and in the world at large.

12. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

I was wondering the same thing. Is it that the opinions outisde of the U.S. are so singular in opinion whereas the U.S. has diversity in opinion? My guess is it was a passive aggressive attempt to bash Americans..

13. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

I have to agree, I think this is some kind of shot at America.

14. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

It's probably because the OP starter is from Britain. ;) :p

15. -0blivion-

-0blivion- Musically inclined

It is probably separated because it is perceived that Americans are more distrusting of human involvement in Global warming, and the poll is to test if this may be true. Looking at the results of the poll, it may well be.

16. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

We are part of the global warming problem. It's all connected.

17. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I woudl figure it has something to do with the amount of cattle on the planet at the time I think. I mean cows aren't a purely nature made product. Domestication has allowed them to grow to numbers beyond what they're capable of in the wilds. I figure that amount of organisms exhaling that much CO2 could have some effect. That may or may not be the case. I dunno. I'm not a scientist.

18. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

From my view of the options, Americans here are thinking that we do cause it.

Next, I still don't see any bases for aiming specificaly at America.

Third, so far I'm not liking any recommendations that anyone has given us. They all sound like bad ideas to me.

19. -0blivion-

-0blivion- Musically inclined

Everything's relative. I did say more distrusting than the rest of the world of the connection between human activity and global warming. And from my view of the options, a higher proportion of Americans believe human activity does not cause global warming than other nationalities. Hence the reason for the investigative nature of the poll.

20. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

Perhaps it is not entirely fair, but considering that 8 Americans voted no to anthropogenic global warming compared to only 2 non-Americans (out of roughly equal samples), I would say that the thread-starter hit on a useful classification. And I know for a fact that one of those non-Americans (Sidhe) voted accidentally.

That being said, what is your opinion on the matter?