1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Not believe we are causing Global Warming?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Abaddon, Dec 26, 2006.

?

Do Humans cause Global Warming?

1. Yes - American

33.2%
  2. No - American

11.5%
  3. Yes - Non American

48.4%
  4. No - Non American

6.9%
  1. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Thats not fair.

Starting a fire technically would contribute to global warming, so of course humans are contriuting to global warming, the question is how much.

Th epoll asks if we are "causing" it, that is very vague, becuase I think even most global warming scientist will admit climate does vary.

2. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

Well, I do believe that humans are causing significant global warming, but that has nothing to do with my post. :lol:

My post said that there turned out to be a large difference between American and non-American negative responses. Therefore, classifying according to Americans and non-Americans did prove somewhat useful in isolating that set of responses. It may not be fair, but it provided information about differences. Unless of course the second part of your post wasn't referring to me. :crazyeye:

3. Neomega

Neomega Deity

the question is not fair, because it pegs "dissenters" into defending that humans have an impact on their environment, which is very easy to prove.

It's like asking if the sun has influence on alpha centauri. Those who answer "no" are barraged with evidence of gravitational fields and solar radiation being able to reach and influence alpha centauri.

So people are giving all sorts of evidence there is more CO2 in the atmosphere etc, which is obvious.

The question is how much, so when people say "no" they are given evidence that does not directly prove humans are causing global warming.

I've seen the evidence from the anartic core samples etc.

But really, nobody answered how did the middle ages heat wave happen?

(besides the cow answer, which was not correct, and I don't care to go into detail as to why, but there were heards of buffalo, now there isn't, and the world colled back down even though livestock numbers increased)

4. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

What has that to do with me? I was simply pointing out that expanding the poll options to include whether or not one was American brought out an additional dimension of polling information. That America had many more "dissenters" than elsewhere (amongst the CFC community).

Whatever a "dissenter" is.

Was the poll ideal? No, but the point is that a contrast was found.

EDIT: Let's say you are perfectly right about global warming, along with the other 7 or so Americans that voted that way. Isn't it interesting to know how concentrated the enlightened folk are in America as opposed to elsewhere?

5. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

Global warming is occurring, there is little debate there. The Earth has gone through these heating cycles many times before and will continue to in the future. Humans may be accelerating the process a little bit with our emissions, but the warming or cooling trend will happen regardless of human presence on earth.

6. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

It just wouldn't be nearly as severe without our helping hand. :mischief:

7. Neomega

Neomega Deity

because you said "but considering that 8 Americans voted no to anthropogenic global warming"

Which was accurate, but the poll is weighted.

Perfectly right? About what? Who has the percentage that humans are dedicating to global warming? Anyone? even a clue? Perhaps a range?

We talking humans contribute 0.00001 - 0.00002 %? maybe 1 - 2%? 10%?

Anybody believe we are causing global warming (100%)?

??????

Nobody has a clue how much effect we are having, but still yelling as if they have some god-like knowledge on the subject.

How much is natural, and how much is anthropogenic?

And

What are we supposed to do about it? Tell developed countries to stop developing? Tell countries that use oil they can't make nuclear power, and they need to cut down on carbon emissions?

Global warming is a "global" issue.

That's the reason europeans are more accepting to the theory, because they are also more accepting of the UN.

8. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

You are still missing the point. Whether the poll was flawed or not, and however loaded the question was, it clearly isolated some sort of fault line between America and the rest of the world.

Whatever the nuances in the argument, there is clearly a massive difference in final opinion. That is my point. In fact I was just stating the obvious, and I think you were looking for more meaning in my post than actually existed.

EDIT: I am just talking about statistics. If two groups of people are exactly the same in every way, then samples of each group, when given a question (even if it is ridiculous) should respond in statistically similar ways. If there is a significant difference in the responses of the two groups, the groups must be different from one another. Therefore, I can conclude that American opinions on climate change differ from non-American opinions. Furthermore, I think there is enough information in the poll to conclude that "Americans differ significantly from non-Americans with regards to the extent of anthropogenic causes for climate change" based on the CFC population. Does that clear things up?

9. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

If you believe in a world government that's trying to control our lives, yes I'd say you have some growing up to do.

Do I really have to rebut this? :lol:

10. Underseer

Underseer King

How much is not a question unless you are a conservative ideologue trying to promote a failed and flawed ideology.

The scientific evidence is overwhelming. There are only a handful of scientists who say otherwise. All of these scientists are in the employ of (surprise) big oil companies, and the only one that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal got his conclusion backwards because he can't tell degrees from radians.

Your global warning denials are just as credible scientifically as creationism, geocentricism and platygaeanism. Rational people stopped taking conservatives seriously on scientific matters back when you guys were trying to convince everyone that cigarettes don't cause cancer.

11. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Anyways, I still haven't heard anything close to an estimate about how much of the impact is human caused. I have a feeling it's going to be a very long time before I get an answer.

Did I say that?

Can you?

12. Underseer

Underseer King

The entire scientific community, particularly those in related fields of study, are more or less unanimous on this. If that isn't good enough for you, then you're one of those conservatives and no amount of information or logic will ever change your mind, and don't pretend otherwise.

PS -- The world isn't flat. Sorry. Hope I didn't shock you too much. I thought we should start small and work our way up.

13. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Hate to ruin your particularly hostile rambling but he isn't a conservative. Must really feel bead to have your little theory on Conservatism crumble.

14. Neomega

Neomega Deity

You aren't answering the question.

I asked how much?

They are unanimous in what percentage?

the scientists unanimoulsy agree that 2.57% of global warming is caused by humans?

I am not denying the existance, I am simply asking for degree of existance.

You can't answer it. Nobody can... because nobody knows!

Once we know the degree, then we can determine the severity of limitations. But what if we find, after decades of research, that humanity is only making global warming about .05% worse?

Please, someone who knows about the issue, give me a number, substantiated with fact:

TO WHAT DEGREE OR PERCENTAGE DOES HUMANKIND HAVE ON GLOBAL WARMING?

If scientists are "unanimous", please, name this unanimous number they all agree on, I am curious to hear it.

15. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I have looked into this issue at hand have gone through with data that I could gather up from reliable sources, including from the United States Government. The end result, my statements are not based on any such scientific fact and are mearly just biases from corporations that are only pumping out such sorces for their own benifit in that buissness is usual.

What got me back to this issue and made me change my possition was what I have watched on the History Channel on the top 10 Doomsday scenarios (The Last Days on Earth or something). There I have found that the warming trend is higher than the ones measured by ice cores during the Middle Age Warm period.

Eventhough the Industrial Revolution started in the early 1800s, there was still not enough Industralization untill the late 1800s, hense why I could not find any detailed graphs dated in the pre-1880 in detail. Even though the graph I pulled out to see the data that goes past 1880 is from wikipedia, Its still convinces me that humans would have an impact with Global Warming:

Here is what I am talking about on when I see the rates of temperature increace is higher than the Medieval Warm Period thus would support the case that with world wide Industralization, the use of Fossil Fuels, deforestization, and using inefficiant fossil fuel fired engines.

This here is where I humbly reject my claim that Humans do not create Global Warming and replace it that Humans through Industralization are helping to accelerate the warming into dangerous levels. I toss out the hypothosis that is only grounded on faith that "Humans do not cause global warming". And replace it with a brand new one in which "Humans help accelerate the increase of temperature", I say help accelerate the increace of temperature because I also still stand by that the Earth goes through periods of warming periods as demonstrated through past climate histories in prehistoric times.

This is where the next graph comes into play which I got from browsing a NASA website as well as comparing the rate of consumption of fuels:

Here I can see the correlation between the increace of temperature with the increase in Fossil Fule consumption. I will note that I did not take into consideration discretization.

I would like to humbly apologise for causing you a headache with my arguments as well as my own stuborness in trying to learn as well as stubborness to try science.

16. MjM

MjM Deity

On a different note, I watched the same show CG. :p
    And I think plauges are much scarier than the Global Warming :p

17. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Look at the first graph again. The last "mini ice age" was a greater temperature anomoly (0.9) at the worst, and 3 times worse in magnitude than the current "global warming" trend.

Look at the mini-ice age, it was 3 times as "severe". Yet there is no evidence humans caused that.

All the graphs have proved is that the world is warming.

The number of churches in a city goes up with the number of bars. It does not mean the two are related.

Likewise, just because we are burning more fossil fuels does not mean it is the cause of global warming. Allthough it certainly contributes......

....again

TO WHAT DEGREE OR PERCENTAGE DOES HUMANKIND HAVE ON GLOBAL WARMING?

18. Cannae

Cannae Philosophy of Poverty

No, that was during the mini ice age.

19. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I will admit that I dont know since I dont have any data to compare natural CO2 emitions with man made CO2 emitions.

You might want to add in another person who thinks that "modern" global warming being accelerated by humans. So realy its just 3 CFCers who think that global warming is natural.

20. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I thought you said you didn't believe in rational science last night, CG. Science deals with data.

:confused: