Anyone play fun variants

DJ_Tanner

Emperor
Outside of TSL anyone play any fun self-imposed variants of the game.

One I really enjoyed was play as Alex on a huge map with maxed civs and max CS, marathon, shuffle. No building settlers.

I'm not much for warmonger play in my regular games, but it is a blast with that inherent need for conquest.

I am always playing different variants, just my ow take on achievements

100 envoys is one I like a lot
Win a game while being limited to the number of cities of the difficulty level
The 500 challenge, get 500 science, culture and gold per turn being produced.
Win a game just with infantry, no ranged, naval air or cavalry. Siege equipment allowed.
Spy the leader I have been doing lately where I pick a leader and just see how much I can wreck them with spies.
Win a religious game with no apostles apart from ones for belief and inquisition.
See if I can get 5 allies at the same time.

I tend not to take out any CS, it just is an easy way up the ladder. It can make deity a lot harder to play.

One of the things I like is to understand how the AI's tick.

I try out many variants/strategies.
Preferably a couple from the same starting position or at some choke point where I branch in different scenario's.
And looking at how the AI's react, compare that, and whether I can foresee that a bit.

I like from time to time play games starting in Medieval or Renaissance era, that way empires get a nice kickstart for empirebuilding and exploring.

Also sort of roleplay style, where for example I start playing as Germany or Japan, and when Industrial/Modern era starts I begin a blitzkrieg and aim for domination.

I roleplay a lot, to quite some extent in some games. And otherwise I try out things and set my own achievements. I did that in earlier civ games as well. For me that is part of the fun of civ. It is much less doable in some other games. I often have to reduce the difficulty to King though in such cases.

Top Bottom