1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone playing Civ3: Complete (mac) right now?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Macintosh' started by MajorFallout, Mar 2, 2006.

1. MajorFallout

MajorFallout Battalion-Command

I'm curious if anyone is playing Civ3; complete at this very moment?

If they are, put your hand up and tell me what you think of it. I'm planning on purchasing it from MacGold, along with another game.

Looks good, after such a looonnnnnnngggggg wait.
    It's typical, you wait ages and 3 come along at once!! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it's good to be back - been 6 months from the forum.

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Playing fine here. I've played and submitted two PtW GOTMs, and part played a couple of test games in C3C. I love the windowed mode as it allows me to use my second screen for monitoring email, chat, rss etc.

Check out the Succession Game that a bunch of Mac players are involved in over here. They seem to be enjoying it.

The issues I'm aware of are:

1. Some sound effects aren't playing, but I play with sounds off so it's no problem for me.

2. Some downloadable scenarios don't work without some juggling.

3. It doesn't compress manual saves, which causes grief for players wanting to share games or submit to the local GOTM competitions. I'm finalising a utility to address this now.

4. Some reports of slow performance on IntelliMacs, running on top of Rosetta.

Come on it, the water's lovely :)

3. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

Only if they don't have enough RAM. With 1 GB, it runs quite excellently.

4. AlanH

Thanks for the qualification, Beamup. I was trying to do justice to the various issues I've seen raised. I believe most of them are non-events. Perhaps the biggest one, and the one I omitted, is that there's no editor other than the old one that Brad produced for vanilla version 1.21g.

It's also worth emphasizing that Civ3 Complete will work well on most Macs in general use today. But based on the current minimum PC requirements to run Civ4, many Macs, mine included, are likely to fail Civ4's 3D graphics challenge.

5. MajorFallout

Thanks for that AlanH - pretty comprehensive summary.

BTW what are the specs for Civ4 graphix cards?
    I have a ATI 9000 Radeon in my Mac.

6. AlanH

I think you'll be OK. PCs need a minimum of 64 MBytes video RAM, and I think you have that. Most cards support the other 3D functional requirements. Memory and CPU speed are also critical.

7. MajorFallout

That's covered... I have 2gig RAM and 1.25Ghz dual G4 CPU! :)

You're talking about Civ4, correct? I'll buy that abit later.

Just like to have a go at Conquests and PTW for awhile.

8. AlanH

That's what you asked about last :)

You'll have to! Civ4 is still in the developers' labs. Have a crack at this month's COTM 22. It's reputedly a celebration of the arrival of the Mac version of C3C.

9. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

I am thinking about buying Civ III complete. I am a PC boy myself :mischief: and I play civ IV, but I also have a PowerBook G4 for my job :mischief::mischief: and I wonder if I can run CIV III complete on a PowerBook G4.

I don't know much about the specifications of my mac, since I didn't buy it (even more :mischief: ) buy I guess they are well known among the Mac community.

10. AlanH

You''ll have no (technical) problem running Civ3 Complete on your G4 PowerBook. I'm sure it out-spec's my G4 tower which works fine. Civ3 is a 2D game, and doesn't put anywhere near the same demands on the video or CPU that Civ4's 3D User Interface does.

If you get Civ3, please let us know how you think the two games compare. I've seen mixed reports.

11. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

Ok, AlanH... Fast respond. Thanks a lot :goodjob:

I have C3C for PC as well and I have played it a lot, but, since I bought Civ IV, I lost my C3C disk :( it must be somewhere at home :lol:, I am buying Civ3:Complete right now from Amazon. I will let you know how the two games compare.

(You are approaching 10.000 posts :wow: )

12. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

i play C3C on a G3 and enjoy it, accepted that huge maps and large late stage games are slow.

13. megagestur

megagestur Chieftain

I bought Civ III complete for mac today and I must say I like what I see. I just have a couple of questions:
    1. How can I access the map editor, I can't find anywhere :mischief: .
    2. Can I use the unit and terrain graphics from the forums, those who guys playing in Windows are using.

Thank you very much :goodjob:

14. gfeier

gfeier King

It works a lot better on my dual G4 than the original Civ III ever did.

15. AlanH

Your smiley implies that maybe you know the answer? There isn't one.

Yes, and a lot of them are already included with the installed software. But until Brad gets the patch out you may not be able to use some non-standard ones just by dropping them into your Scenarios folder. I found I had to replace the standard /Art/ images to get a different image set to play, but I think it depends on which grapics you want to use.

16. megagestur

megagestur Chieftain

This is, sadly :cry: , not the first time I hear that something isn't awailable for the mac but oh well...:crazyeye: Do you know if there is a map editor on the way? I would realy like to be able to check out those maps without playing them to the end.:king:

17. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

As far as we know right now, there are no plans for it. It is not necessarily impossible for that to change, but given the proximity of Civ IV, I would think it's exceedingly unlikely to ever happen.

18. AlanH

It sounds like what you really want is a saved game editor, not an editor to create your own maps. I'm pretty sure that won't happen. The publishers have never produced one for Windows either, and a third party would require a large amount of knowledge of the save file format that isn't published.

A map editor for creating scenarios is feasible as a third party development though, as a lot of the scenario format has been worked out and published.

19. megagestur

megagestur Chieftain

Just to be sure, could I make a map in the windows map editor, edit it rules, save it and then transfer it to mac and use it there? Was just wondering if I could solve this in that way.

20. AlanH

What problem are you trying to solve? Yes, you can create or edit maps in the Windows editor, that's where all the stuff you can find in the installed Civ-Content and Conquests menus came from. But your quote that I picked up in my last post implied something other than a map editor requirement.