Anyone playing this successfully in multiplayer?

JohnMK

Warlord
If so, which Options are you playing with, and how far in your games have you made it? Have you ever received an Out of Sync error message? If so, how did you recover from it?

My limited experience, playing with the default LoR options enabled (Revolutions, BarbCivs, TechDiffusion, DynamicCivNames) is that we got an unrecoverable (going back to autosaves didn't cure it) OOS within a few thousand years after starting. In another game a couple months ago, with a different friend of mine, we made it much farther, I think to about 1400 A.D. or so, and might have been able to press on, except my friend's Civ4 installation kept locking up. That might have been a problem specific to his computer, or might not have been, we're not sure.

Your experiences greatly appreciated!

Sincerely.

I have tried many times on Gamespy, and our games are not visible to other players and we cannot connect. So you do not see any regular games in the lobby, also your other LoR friends cannot see when you set up an LoR game. Connect by ISP also didn't work (timeout).

I love MP and look forward to the possibility of LoR MP. It really hurts playing MP BTS... like driving all day in a Lambourghini, and then at the race track they only let you race in bumper cars.

My friends and I play Direct IP. We our in our fourth game, the previous three being somewhat abortive as players got used to the system. The greatest problems come in from civil unrest. If the AI takes over one players nation, it takes over all. But if the host reloads the game as a single player, plays a turn or two, the others can get back in. Just make the culprit sit out for his 16 or whatever turns. (It does not always tell you how many turns the AI is taking over for.)

We play with Tectonics or Terra map so far, standard setting for the mod with these exceptions.

Minor Civs
No tech Brokering
Active bararians (one barbarians city for each civ)

We probably have logged 16,000 years or so between the four games so far, and only have one out of sync error for anything other then revolution events.

A simple suggestion for the programmers, have an additional button come up for events that allows players the event is not happening to to select instead. It is an honer system though.

Sgt L thanks for the feedback. You have alot more patience then I, I wouldn't be willing to play MP with Revolutions on given the issues I've been told happen. So I solute your resolve, I'm sure it does lead to some interesting games.

For a little backgrand, Revolutions is part of a modcomp called RevolutionDCM, which is a project developed by glider1 and jdog5000. RevolutionDCM is the core of Legends of Revolution. Currently RevDCM is being updated to a new version, should be out in a couple days. This update will have many single player improvements, like better RevIdx exposure. You can check out the current test build of LoR to see most of the upcoming changes.

After 2.6 is released (a few days), the next update of RevDCM will be focused on getting MP stable and bug free. This is quite an undertaking considering RevDCM has never been built with MP in mind. But it is coming.

The problem is glider and jdog don't play MP, and neither do most of us that help out with RevDCM development (quite a bit of my code has been added to the upcoming version of RevDCM). Since it sounds like you are interested in helping out this next phase of getting MP to work, the best thing you could do is post in the Revolution Project and Development Forum. Let jdog and glider know your experiences with MP, and your suggestions, specifics on any bugs is very helpful as it helps the coder narrow in on the cause of the bug and fix it. I hope this post is informative, and gives you some insight into the development process of this mod.

It does, thanks. I am very glad you are working so diligently on this. I have been a fan of the mod since Wolf's Revolutions. Was getting my friends into right before Civ IV's latest patch. I am glad to see the project has been continued into the newest updates. We shall likely look into the other forums, and offer our assistance.

I have been playing LoR for many versions already now in LAN multiplayer and it always works well. You only really have to remember to not turn on revolutions because that will not work well. So no problems here LAN multiplayer. Crashes we haven't really had and sometimes we play for quite a few hours continuously (only sometimes especially in later ages it might become slower but that is normal).

Top Bottom