Anyone remember ADOM?

Hundegesicht

Manly Studmuffin
Hey, it's been a while since I posted here...

For those who aren't familiar, ADOM is a roguelike RPG, and was at point one of the most popular freeware games back in the 90s. Development ceased in 2002, and it's been in stasis for 10 years.

Well, last month, Thomas Biskup, ADOM's creator announced his plans to release a new version of ADOM, complete with sound, music, and a graphical tile set, as well as fixing all the bugs and finishing the game. Currently he's financing that through a Indiegogo Crowdfunding Campaign, which has raised ~$37,000 of the planned $48,000. It's an all-or-nothing campaign (meaning the money will be returned to the donors if the goal isn't met), and has 14 days remaining.

Anyway, TB's already released a new version of ADOM (which can be downloaded from http://www.ancardia.com/), and there are some cool videos as well as a demo of the new tileset. It's worth checking out.

Hey, thanks for sharing this :) I loved ADOM back in the day. IIRC, it was the first game I ever downloaded from the internet. I remember being killed A LOT though :p

Yeah I played it lots. I think my favorite versions was around 0.9 or so. Then there was JADE.

The First Person mode looks like a riot. I may have to scrape up $10.

It's succeeded! The campaign is currently standing at $48.696, which has surpassed the goal of $48.000. There are still 9 days left, and there are some cool stretch goals up to $100.000 for anyone interested, but I just wanted to say thanks to anyone here who donated. :)

Anyway, expect ADOM 1.2.0 soon! (There may even be a commercial release on Steam next year, depending)

I'm pretty sure many of those "goals" will be included in the game no matter what, if the game is successful...

It's hard to tell since the developer has a real life. They met the most important stretch goal (#1), and hopefully they'll make #2 (custom tile set).

I'm pretty sure many of those "goals" will be included in the game no matter what, if the game is successful...

He's using that money to pay his team. The stretch goals are basically an estimation of how much work can be done before the money runs out. Reaching a stretch goal guarentees it. Will it probably get done anyway? Yes, but it's a nice incentive, nonetheless.

Just got a note that they reached $55K so the custom tileset is a go.

24 hours to go and the count stands at $66,632... if you've been waiting to donate, now's your chance. :)

FWIW, the campaign has raised over $30,000 since I posted this 2 weeks ago, which is pretty nuts!

It's not too hard to believe. In the 1990s ADOM was on the top for awhile on some Usenet games lists. Of course the competition back then would be like Doom 2, nethack, Angband, Sid Meier's Colonization, etc...

EDIT: If you donate $40 before tomorrow, you get the Deluxe version on Steam which is now a go.

$85,903 and 4 hours to go!

FWIW, the campaign just made over $20,000 in less than a day. :) (it's now $4000 away from being the highest funded gaming related indiegogo of all time, and is the 18th highest overall)

The campaign has ended at $90.169, making it the highest grossing gaming-related indiegogo of all time! :) :thanx::band::dance::dance::dance:[party]

I don't believe so. Hell, they are all lesser quality than Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, but I still play them.

Looking at Steam's Greenlight, there is a ridiculous number of permadeath roguelikes and RPG maker games. I feel like ADOM will do some good being on Steam.

Top Bottom