Anyone seen the AI getting anything else than a Space Victory?

LordOfTheDrinks

Chieftain
With normal settings and all victories enabled, of course, and the difficulty level that suits your skills (ie you can win, but the AI can still kick ur bu++ sometimes...)
(And no, if you being eliminated by the barbarians in the ancient era -- like I was yesterday -- it doesn't count... :) )

Got beaten to space race by one turn... :aargh:

But I have seen AI win mostly diplo victories..or by wiping ME out when I try to play OCC

I've been turning off space race just because I think it's too cheap of a way for the AI to win.

in my games, IF ai wins, it wins by diplomacy most of the time. and that happened in games where i a) aimed for diplomacy myself and made some stupid mistakes or b) went for cultural victory and the game took too long.

but most games that last longer than industrial era turn into space race games. if you don't build a space ship by yourself you have to go for conquest or domination or start building up your space ship and crippling the AIs space ship production.

i think civ4 games are more fun with space race disabled.

I wonder, has anyone really been defeated by AI culturally? :confused:

The AI beats me with time victory alot. I am behind on score in many games, especially if I am going for a cultural victory.

I beat the AI culturally once on monarch, it's not that hard. I was britain, and i poured all my taxes into culture. Your science and military become so weak that the AI no longer considers you a threat, so as long as you pay off everyone around you, you should be able to get a cultural victory. This was on standard size with normal speed.

I've never seen the AI even come close to a cultural victory. Usually, when I check the victory screen, they'll have one city that might be up there, but the next two are in the 1200-1500 range. Civ IV cultural is so much more heavily reliant on organization than Civ III. I don't think the AI can pull it off. Or maybe the "cultural" civ gets killed off too quickly for me to notice?

No , never seen a AI winning with anything besides space race.

Yes, I played a 'noble' game and until the time i conquer my nasty neighbour, taking all the land around my capital instead of his own capital, the other AIs were greatly ahead in science and I could never catch over, even with a score 1000+ higher! They won space Race, obviously.

I've seen a couple of AI time victories (2050 AD). Otherwise, AI wins by space race 95% of the time.

Remember if you are getting beaten you will restart a lot of the time and never know how the AI would have won.

Remember if you are getting beaten you will restart a lot of the time and never know how the AI would have won.
Absolutely true. I quit most of the games I've already lost by middle ages or so.
I've lost 2 games, 1 by conquest and the other by diplo. So spaceship has 0% in my games... In all games in which it went to spaceship i managed to win. I seem to be quite good at building SS parts.

The games I have lost (and actually played to the end) have been OCCs where either my only city is destroyed or I lose by domination (happened once, I was a bit stupid and the map was such that he managed to do this with little possible hindrance from me...)

I too usually tend to restart when the omens are too dark... But I recently lost a game on Prince, when Louis was elected Secretary general just ONE turn before I completed my SS.
And to say I was at peace with everyone! Why, but why did they vote for him? It was all the more frustrating, considering he had declared war on me earlier and I had decided to let him live after destroying his invasion forces.
On medium and high difficulty levels, I don't see how the AI (or the human player) can ever win a time (score) victory, since space races tend to start centuries before the deadline.

Top Bottom