1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Anyone think Korea is OP?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bad Wolf, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm nearing the end of my game with them, I am managing to hold off Scotland's science and culture which is significant. I feel their unique district should have 3 adjacency, not 4. This would help reduce the overpoweredness of the double adjancy card. I would even say reduce it to 2, but of course keep the science boost for adjacent mines.

2. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Hopefully that does it. I took three of her cities and liberated them to Germany (two of them had Seowon) and even that has only put her basically on par with me in science, but she's still two techs ahead (this is after I finished Oxford). I do think they got a few too many science bonuses; this game is all about stacking and having all of their bonuses stack science is insanely powerful. Like the Seowon itself already has a major science bonus, then on top of that the bonus to mines, AND +10% science to any city with a governor. There's just no way to compete with them! Makes warring them quite necessary.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  3. ArallanKing

ArallanKing Warlord

In a game of mine, king diff, Seondeok was on the top of the score but she was plummeted down to the last one like 30 turns later. Turned out, the Temujin's been wiping her cities and razed all those science op machines. I'm glad, just before I realized I was his only other neighbour...

4. mrwho

mrwho Prince

Korea's science is great, but the Hwacha is a terrible UU in my opinion. It replaces the Field Cannon, but has the same ranged strength, a worse melee defence, and a crippling restriction of not being able to move and attack on the same turn. Yes, you get them earlier than the Field Cannon, and they're cheaper, but as soon as Field Cannons become available, the Hwacha is significantly worse and there's nothing you can do about it until you can finally get rid of them in the Atomic era (for the also poor Machine Gun). It gives you a decent advantage in the Industrial era, but that's followed by a pretty major disadvantage for the majority of the rest of the game.

5. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Hwacha is good enough for somebody with a defensive mindeset as you can simply put them in forts and nobody can touch them for a long while without taking Heavy losses and at the Point they become obsolete, Korea may have a decisive Tech advantage.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

They came in handy when France surprised war me. I was surprised to see a surprise war that late into the game, but it is France after all... She went from friendly to war, big surprise from her. I only had 3, but they helped take out a lot of French troops.

Of course then I tried it on city walls, and they sucked. I forgot they were ranged, and not actual bombardment. They feel like bombardment units since they can't move and shoot, but they are not. That's okay, I wanted it to be a pacifist run anyways.

7. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

He's more charming I'd say. Better wipe him out on sight! :)

It is stated correctly in the civilopedia and in the context Info, though...

8. ProphetMaster

ProphetMaster Warlord

I have been playing Korea exclusively. At least at Prince level, it is easy to get ahead of the world in military research and win by domination or space race. Too easy. So what I am trying to do now is win without ever declaring a war on anybody. That seems much harder (!!!), but seems more in accord with the "spirit" of the R&F expansion because it demands more clever use of alliances, loyalty "culture flipping" opponent's Cities (like in Civ IV), etc. Have any of you guys tried this approach to the game?

ChocolateShake likes this.
  9. Exquisitor1

Exquisitor1 Chieftain

I may have noticed a bug with the Amundsen Research Center. I had a Seowon adjacent to a mountain surrounded by tundra mountain tiles. The center requires being adjacent to a campus. It wouldn't let me build it.

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Are they being banned in MP games? Is anyone playing multiplayer?

I believe I got them up to 660 science per turn in my just completed game, but it was bouncing around a lot. It was generally always over 600 science per turn with my 13 cities on Standard size map Epic Speed, King difficulty during the final 30 or 40 turns. Not every city had the unique campus though. I had to build quite a few theater squares to prevent a Scotland cultural victory, though in hindsight, I don't think Scotland surpassed number 3 in culture (I ended up #1, and he was #2 in raw culture, not tourists), so I think I could have gotten the space victory slightly earlier and not built any theater squares. But they helped a lot getting to ecommerce for the production boost, so I'm happy enough with the way this game went.

edit: Just checked and Robert ended up with 302 tourists and Russia had 468 domestic tourists, so I would have been okay. I could have pumped my science over 700 or maybe 800 if I really pushed it.

11. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I've seen games where Korea had a strong science start and then fell behind Scotland and the Dutch, so while banning them in MP may make sense for the early game, Korea falls behind in science in the late game, so it's at least not ridiculous at that time.

12. Denkt

Denkt Reader

In the long run the number of cities you own is more important than a better campus and early Tech is not a pure good thing as to take most advantage of unit upgrading and district building may require a slower Tech pace.

Well you can sell your Resources but that is not Always a good thing:goodjob:

Compare Korea to Zulu who get huge advantage and just need to produce units and can literally field units eras ahead in terms of strength and all they need to is to produce alot of cheap units which they can use to capture an empire.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  13. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

Yes, something like this should be done to Korea. The 100% adjacency card comes early and that's what makes Korea OP, imo. You can get +8 science from just the district before anyone even has universities.

Tiger Genocide and Thormodr like this.
  14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Definitely OP and IMHO, quite poorly designed.

Hopefully they'll get whacked hard by the nerf hammer.

15. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Yeah I'm easily running away with an immortal game. I've never had so many wonders available to me and such a tech advantage in immortal it's ridiculous.

If you survive through the classical and maintain even basic defenses you will be hard to stop

16. kb27787

kb27787 Emperor

Ive had deity games where I was literally friends with the whole world without a single war... It is certainly doable and easy because you do not have to worry about nasty surprises (so you can afford to spread your units out away from your cities to spot barbs) ancestral hall makes peaceful expanding a lot more viable than Vanilla

17. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

Korea has a triple threat of science power. It's not just the Seowon itself. While 4 science anywhere and half price is amazingly good, it's compounded by the fact that seowons also give adjacent mines science, and food to farms; this means more science and more growth -> more science. Then we have the governors giving a percentage bonus, which is very rare in civ; so all that raw yield gets multiplied.

The surrounding tiles, once improved, represent +6 more yield. This is a huge amount of hidden power. I really like district + improvement interplay, but this combo is a little ridiculous.

18. bladex

bladex Emperor

well korea thinks his OP in real life :smug:

Tiger Genocide and Victoria like this.
  19. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

I agree as a filthy Redcoat Sassenach Scotland is actually the one to watch, especially mid-game onward. Korea leaps ahead early game but at the expense of

"goodness me fair Asian lady, you have spearmen and I appear to have several musketmen Corps, shall we Parlay?"

20. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Oh right I forgot that they're half-price on top of that! Honestly half-price campuses alone is a pretty intense bonus.