Anyone up for a high micro SG?

fyermind

Chieftain
I'm really interested in getting in a high micro succession game (even if I don't contribute much) I'm pushing into immortal pretty solidly right now.

I'll throw details here as people discuss them:
Level: Immortal
Standard size map
Water map (mapscript link in the thread somewhere posted by kossin. I'll put it here when I have energy and it's not 4 am)
10 AIs in teams of two
Suggested AI teams by Folklet (who took my ideas and did them better)
Spoiler :

De Gaulle/Montezuma
Hannibal/Stalin
Suleiman/Julius Ceasar
Charlemange/Bismarck
Lincoln/Elizabeth

Turnsets of roughly 5 turns

I'll throw names of interested folks here as they arise...
And they have arisen:
Fyermind
Tachywaxon
Pigswill
Pomthom
Benginal
Astre
(I'm so bad at this! I promise when I get home from work today I will go through this carefully and get everyone in order)

Original Opening post for nostalgia/context
Spoiler :

I'm really interested in getting in a high micro succession game (even if I don't contribute much) I'm pushing into immortal pretty solidly right now.

I'd rather not have any crazy restrictions on rules though, so maybe we could find another way to make it interesting (teams of a strong techer+strong military, for AIs for example: Willem+Monty and Mansa+Shaka etc.). That would also help give us an excuse to play carefully. Perhaps adding some extra AIs to make up for the limited trading partners and added power of opposing teams, but maybe not. Maybe quick speed if really going hard on micro to maximize benefits and minimize the number of turns.

Anyone interested?

Other things that were here and are no longer relevant
Teaming the AIs:
Spoiler :
I'm interested in a discussion of AI teams to help them best compliment each other and be relatively balanced with each other. I was pairing a high unitprob AI with an AI who would tech well or build a large empire, but I'm not sure how best to optimize them for agreeing on diplomacy matters and victory conditions. As an example, Mehmed's high unitprob and relatively peaceful demeanor might allow him to guard Gandhi into a culture victory. That was really the only one I felt really good about.

I'll definitely lurk, sounds like a good idea for an SG. :) Don't know yet how much time I'll have to play, we shall see when you begin the game.

I'm looking for someone who actually wants to play before I begin, maybe I have the wrong order?

I think the problem might be that your ideas are so vague. Perhaps decide what settings (difficulty, map...) and see who is interested.

right. That would be a point. I'll make up some settings to start the discussion and put them in the OP.

Any thoughts on whether we could handle Deity in 5 teams of 2 on normal?

What does deity on normal mean? On normal usually refers to a default difficulty, so noble in this case?

As for handling five team of two AIs. It will be very difficult. If you have one warmonger and a techer in each team, it seems likely all teams will end up cautious to each other and the warmongers will look towards the human player as we will be far behind in army.

With a good start it might be possible to get alphabet and trade it away to make everyone go to war.

A slightly easier setup would be to group two AIs of same peace weight in the same teams. Perhaps:
De Gaulle/Montezuma
Hannibal/Stalin
Suleiman/Julius Ceasar
Charlemange/Bismarck
Lincoln/Elizabeth

Lincoln/Elizabeth are likely to get run over but it will give the players some room to breed and work on relations.

That makes sense.

Also with ten AIs what size would you play?

could interest me.
however, what does mean "high micro" in high micro succession game?
you mean we play turn per player? or with high micromanagement?

@ Astre: I think short turnsets would be in order, though 1 turn per player might be excessive. Perhaps 5 or so turns unless things changed suddenly. High Micro was intended to mean excessive micromanagement.

@ Folklet: Normal speed is what I meant, I should have clarified that.

Also @ Folklet: I was thinking of a standard size map. 10 AIs at immortal would have roughly as many cities by turn 5 as 5 AIs at Deity, and would probably end up filling out the landmass only slightly faster. Of course, at Deity, we might get landscrewed really fast. I wanted to have 5 teams so that we wouldn't be stuck without the ability to trade techs. One of the largest drawbacks to me of playing a game against AIs in pairs was the removal of interesting diplomacy and devaluing bulbs + tech trades as a research strategy that might otherwise carry us through a difficult game.

Still @ Folklet: I like the idea of grouping by peaceweights, while still aiming for some synergy among the AI pairs.

What do people thing for map scripts? I wrote Pangaea but we might want something with more chokes so that we might be able to settle ourselves peacefully to a few cities. Especially at Deity where there will be 21 cities at turn ~5, we could find ourself with only 4 cities and massive overlap which could make getting strategic resources for breakout almost impossible. Perhaps this would be the right time for a snaky continents archipelago map or a big and small map or something.

I'm a little hesitant to ask to play on a map where GLH is so strong (because we could very easily miss it and it would be mostly luck and it's power would drastically influence how the game went).

My eyes caught this SG since its the thread creation, but was unsure. Not because of the high micro setting since it's what I'm used to, but how the remaining settings are gonna be chosen. I'm also fearing once my free weeks are up, my free time will plummet once again.

Oh Fyermind, I have answered to your question regarding your special trait that allows settling workers into cities to get citizens. It's how coincidentally I found that thread.

Regarding the mapscript, does it have to be the ad vitam aeternam same ones like pangaea, fractal, archipelago, continents, etc? Just like deity should be the immediate to be chosen just because it is seen as holy, it's not necessary to give in to coventionalism and deviating from the regular might give a special feel.

Tachywaxon is right that the classic mapscripts have been beaten to death.

What sort of mapscript do ya'll think might be interesting and fun?

If you're interested in something new, head over to customized map scripts.

Here is one that lends itself to a lot of chokes from what I can tell.

Team AIs will make it quite difficult - Deity really requires some luck to beat. Immortal could be a nice stepping stone and if the game becomes too easy then restart on Deity eventually.

If majority of the member think this map is too easy, we can probably restart another one. Setting can be discussed.

5 turn by player with high micro is ok with me.
diety with AI teams may be too mutch. I agree with kossin :
Immortal could be a nice stepping stone and if the game becomes too easy then restart on Deity eventually.

I'd love to use an exotic map. inland sea sound nice but any stange map could be interesting

So I editted the OP to include Folklet's better team suggestions, and immortal difficulty and that this game will definitely not be on pangaea.

The big question now is mapscripts. I'm leaning towards Chess or Inland sea because they are supported by Full Of Resources which can group teams, but Water (the script Kossin linked to) looks perfect, so I am completely no use.

How important to people think grouped teams are? I worry about what would happen if say, Lincoln and Elizabeth got split by Stalin and Monty. Since they are more or less guaranteed to end up with neighbors who will like the idea of them dead, and neither is good at spamming units, if they don't share a border with each other, they could get crushed.

Another question, do water tiles count towards the critical 8 tiles of border that AIs use to plat most kinds of war? If so, inland sea might actually see more effective wars and thus the chance of an AI that could keep up with us land-wise in the mid-end game.

So can we get votes for Inland sea with grouped teams, Chess with grouped teams, and Water (the lakes+chokes) without grouped teams?

I'd vote for water. The chess map seems like very weird with overlap of cities that could be hard to acheive.

Top Bottom