Anyone up for an Internet world

Otaku-sama

Warlord
I found this interesting and rather funny map on the Internet about...well...the Internet. Someone made a map about Internet culture as of 2010, with different websites scaled with their current popularity. Have a look:

http://xkcd.com/802_large/

Is it just me, or does anyone else see potential Civ map material here? Maybe even a new scenario, with Facebook, Twitter and Google as civs, competing for dominance over the internet.

I would try making it myself, but I have no modding experience nor the time to make a scenario nor the computer to efficiently make the scenario. If anyone could make this idea into something tangible, it would be great.

I like that map. Interesting idea, but I have no idea how it would be done in a way that's more than just renaming things and less than a total conversion.

I was thinking new civs for each major website, complete with UU and UB, maybe replacements for resources (like Insults instead of Iron or Data instead of Gold). What I really want to see happen though is leaderheads for each civ. Maybe Zuckerman for Facebook or Anonymous for the website that's apparently being censored by CivFanatics.

This idea makes me remember the old Civ 2 scenarios that portrayed abstract concepts such as a scenario that simulated imperialist economics or that one where you're various economic systems battling each other, included was the Soviet system of economics.

Well, since it's wars between forums, the nuke would be a DDoS attack because it really screws up websites. We could replace Warrior with Poster I, archer with Moderator I, Axeman with Poster II and Swordsman with Troll. Worker could be Ideas, because ideas improve a website.

Anyone capable of making this a reality though?

How about this:

The Poster unitcombat would be the most basic and cheapest.
Poster I (2 strength, no special effects), Poster II (3 Strength, 10% city defence), Poster III (5 Strength, 25% City Defense)

The Troll unitcombat would be like cavalry, and would have bonuses against Posters, be stronger than most units, and be more expensive.
Advertiser (4 Strength, 10% bonus against Posters), Flamer (6 Strength, 20% bonus against Posters), Troll (16 Strength, 50% bonus against posters), Hacker (30 Strength,

The Moderator unitcombat would be like spearmen, and would have large bonuses against Trolls, but be the most expensive to make. They would also start with Leadership (same as in the game).
Reporter (2 Strength, 100% strength against Trolls (to represent how advertisers are reported, but keep coming back, like VictoryMotorCars), Junior Mod (4 Strength, 100% against Trolls), Moderator (10 Strength, 100% against Trolls), Senior Moderator (20 Strength, 100% against Trolls).

For promotions, this is what I thought.

100 Posts (Available to Posters and Reporters): 10% Strength. All Posts promotions are cumulative.
1000 Posts (Available to Posters and Reporters): 20% Strength, requires 100 Posts.
10000 Posts (Available to Posters and Reporters): 50% Strength, requires 1000 Posts.
5 Permabans (Available to All Moderators above Reporters): 25% City Defense. Non-cumulative.
10 Permabans (Available to All Moderators above Reporters): 50% City Defense, requires 5 Permabans.
Scourge of Trolls (Available to Senior Moderators): 100% City Defense, requires 10 Permabans.
Minor Nuisance (Available to the Troll Unitcombat): 10% City Attack. Non-cumulative.
Annoyance (Available to the Troll Unitcombat): 30% City Attack.
Forum Scourge (Available to the Troll Unitcombat): 50% City Attack.
In Legal Trouble (Available to Hackers): 200% City Attack.
Great Moderator Promotions:
Leadership (All Moderators above Reporters start with it): 100% more XP from combat.
Super Moderator (Unavailable to Hacker Unitcombat): 200% City Defense.
Super Troll (Only for Hacker Unitcombat): 200% City Attack.
100000 Posts (Available to Posters and Reporters): 200% Strength, requires 10000 Posts.
I can't think of any more.

The Civics would be like this:

Hierarchy
One Man's Forum - Default
Seniority - +100% Fads/100 Days (instead of 1000 years to double culture for a building, it's 100. This civic doubles the amount of culture you gain every 100 days)
People's Forum - Allows drafting of Junior Moderators. (Only Junior Mods can be drafted)

Punishment

As it Fits - Default
Strikes System - +1 Experience in All Cities
One Mess-up You're Out - X% lower number of cities maintenance

Software

Standard Software - Default
Simple Software - No Distance from Host Cost
Advanced Software - +25% Distance from Host Cost, +1 Happiness per Mod in a city (mods would have the MilitaryHappiness tag set to 1, and only them)

For Techs, it would go into two sections - Social Networking and Forums. Moderators require the techs more to the Forums side of things, Trolls require the techs more to the Social Networking side of things. Posters require techs in the middle.

For Resources, the types of resources that improve forums (vBulletin, for example) would be revealed with the Forums side of the tech tree, while resources that improve Social Networking (I'm not quite sure of an example). They would give commerce and happiness.

Thoughts? Comments?

Instead of cities there will be forums.
An 'idea' (worker) can add the 'thread' improvement to the city tiles, that accumulates more yield as it is worked by the forum (cottages).
The 'sticky' improvement adds more 'visits' (food) yield to the tiles.

Instead of settlers there will be, hmmm, who can create a forum besides moderators?

For Relgions, we could have different topics of Internet forums, like Gaming, anime, music and such, each one having their own unique bonus (like music produces more Influence). Also, a Topic Civics category:

Forum Topic
Open: No effects from topics
Focused: 50% bonus from topics, -25% Military Production, 50% development of Thread
Strict: 100% bonus from topics, +2 Unhappy for every non-State topic, Ideas build improvements 50% faster
Subforums: 50% bonus from topics, 50% Great (Person?) rate

Something like that.

This map is very big and ugly, but project of making Civ scenario like this one sounds interesting! :)

I'm reminded of this site: http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm
It classifies people who argue on message boards into various characters. Many of them are funny and recognizable. There are so many of them and some are just too obscure inside jokes to really be directly used as units, but it's interesting that someone has thought of how the internet can be a battlefield which could be useful for generating ideas.

Top Bottom