1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Want To Create An Image?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by PonderThis, Sep 18, 2016.

1. PonderThis

PonderThis Chieftain Supporter

Hi, I've created a new building and am looking to see if I could talk someone into helping me out with the graphics. The building is a new religious building, a Madrasa. I just need the appropriate DDS files. I'm using the Synagogue from Israel New Beliefs as a guide: It has SynagogueIcon DDS files for sizes 24, 32, 45, 48, 64, 80, 128, 256. So there's really just one image in all those sizes, plus there's the 512x512 Steam Workshop image.

I've got it on Steam as "friends only" right now. If anyone would like to try it out, send me a friend request (I'm "gkarjr" on Steam) and you can try it out. Aside from the graphics (I'm using the pagoda image for now) this should be a finished mod.

2. thelijah

thelijah Chieftain

Not very good, but oh well. Here you go. Make sure to credit me.
    It is 256x256, but you'll have to resize it to 172 to fit in the 256 atlas slots. Open it up in Gimp and resize it to the needed atlases and then you can export as .dds if you have the plugin.
    I'll probably edit it later, as I made this very quickly.

3. PonderThis

That is awesome. Thanks a million! What tool should I use to export it to .dds?

4. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

Gimp (free) can do it, but it requires a DDS plugin, as does Adobe Photoshop. Paint.NET (also free) comes with DDS support built-in.

There are tutorials about which DDS formats are supported. If you want to go compressed, the circular icons need DXT5 or they get jaggy around the edges. If you don't want compression, be sure it's RGBA8. No mipmaps.

5. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

There's also this.

6. Frossa

Frossa Chieftain

7. PonderThis

Thanks to everyone for the image help. I used Nutty's suggestion of paint.net to create .dds files since it's built-in to the program, but ended up with a strange problem. The icon did not show up in the "Purchase Buildings" list -- just a black space where the icon should be. The icon DID show up in the "City Buildings" list and on the Madrasa Civilopedia page.

So I tried Frossa's suggestion of Rajul's Civ5-Object-Creator. That worked, but the resulting image files were HUGE. So I ended up doing a mix-n-match, using the Civ5 Object Creator dds file for the size 45 icon image, and the ones produced by paint.net for the rest. Seems to work, so I've published it and it's public now for anyone that wants to try it.

Madrasa Religious Building

8. thelijah

thelijah Chieftain