Anyway to allow

MuddyOne

Warlord
for special instances of short title searches. It seems to require 4 characters which can make looking for FAQ difficult.

You can search for the term "FAQ*". That should do the trick. :)

When should it be effective? I am still getting:

The search term you specified (faq) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

doh! I never noticed the faq button next to the search button :)

oh! Good that is help for the board. I don't feel stupid anymore.

Oh! The astrick blended in with quote. I am feeling stupid again.

Neither can I...It definatley wouldn't be the Mod that has spammed his way into second, in the spam rankings...

What a loser, spamming his way into second spot.
+1 Post

But I agree that 4 is too long. 3 would be just right.

Edit: Highlighted word was changed...I need to stop posting so late...I can't even type correctly. :D

Isn't 4 too big (for a minimum limit)? 3 charactors is shorter than 4 charactors...:p

Originally posted by civ1-addict
That's right, second place is first loser, I'd say.....
Watch it... He could make 50 posts real fast. ;)

Originally posted by PaleHorse76
What a loser, spamming his way into second spot.
Yeah, what a loser. Not only spamming in the forums; but even spamming in my PM box! :rolleyes: :p What a loser.

I agree- four is too short. I searched "member photo II" or something the other day and had the same problem. :confused:

For TF or a BBS guru: Is it possible to shorten the 4 characteer limit, or is it a moot point for us to suggest shortening it to 3 characters?

I too have been stymied on some searches by not being able to use a 3-character acronym.

My vote: Change to 3, if possible (and assuming the disk accesses, CPU loads, etc. don't have a significant negative impact).

:)

It is possible... 4 is just the recommended minimum word length...

"Minimum Word Length
Enter the minimum word length that the search engine is to index. The smaller this number is, the larger your search index, and conversely your database is going to be."

I am not sure it's a good idea to change it...

Originally posted by Thunderfall
"The smaller this number is, the larger your search index, and conversely your database is going to be."
Umh, that makes sense.

Could you try giving it a test run? :) If there's any way to check the size of the database, see how much it increases when you temporarily decrease the word size to 3 and if it should be of any concern.

Top Bottom