1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AoD2 - RoadMap to Completion!

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Age of Discovery II' started by Dale, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Well everyone, I hope you didn't all expect me to want to keep modding AoD2. :p

At some point I'd like to actually play a few games without "testing" or "changing" things. :lol:

So here we are, in the dev cycle of 1.09 which is essentially a bug-fixer for all the bugs introduced by the conversion to the 1.01f Patch. I did expect this, and had always tabled one version as such (but not knowing when the patch was due it made it hard to plan which version would be this bug-fixer) hehehe.

I am also happy to say that the mod is approaching the end of phase 2. There is usually 3 phases to an expansion (and say what you will, AoD2 is of the quality/quantity level of an XP). The first phase is fixing, the second adding, the third balancing/testing. As I said, I believe we are nearing the end of phase 2.

Phase 1:
    A lot of stuff in Col has been fixed by AoD2. All the vanilla bugs, vanilla concept errors, and even design errors (as we see it).

Phase 2:
    Phase 2 is about adding and changing concepts to allow for more enhanced play, in other words Why the hell should I play it? From revamped education and politics, to Pirates and REF transportation. Fortress bombardment, new Civs, new arrival directions and scripts and maps. Even a new way of evaluating rebel sentiment based on the individual rather than the city (a stupid concept if you ever ask me). I would like to say there is only three more areas I want to touch on: buildings, economics and natives. I want to add in Zuul's buildings mod, and then change some of the bits of economics, especially Europe price regulation. One of the key components of 16-17th Century Mercantilism was economic regulation. Something that must have slipped the mind of the Col designers since the European economy gives the appearance of working on a Free Market model. The third area is probably the most exciting, I want to try to get a Native victory going and the ability to actually play them (can play them now but they SUCK!). So the plan is thus:
    - 1.09: bug-fixer and cleaner-upper after upping to patch 1.01f.
    - 1.10: Zuul's building mod & economic changes
    - 1.11: Native victory & ability to play them

Phase 3:
    And that leads us to phase 3. I estimate there will be 3 versions needed here:
    - 1.12: balancing/fixing Pirates & Natives
    - 1.13: balancing victories
    - 1.14: final cleanup

By the time we reach this point, I will be ready for a break. And I believe that the Age of Discovery II will be complete. :)

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

D/L'd and started playing AoD2 1.08 today. I have played 6 hrs straight and I'm VERY Pleased with how C4C plays now.

Excellent work Dale!

Thank You.

JosEPh :D

3. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Sounds very exciting! There is long road ahead! ;)

But till them, play a few games! v1.09 is awesome to play and enjoy anyway. :)

4. Dale

Dale Chieftain

1.09 isn't out yet. :p

5. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

LoL I am always one version ahead in my mind.

Ask Hermann, this has caused a lot of troubles in our games. (^^,)

BTW Would you consider disengaging REF increases from bell production and count for rebel population instead?

6. Dale

Dale Chieftain

lol. I'd love to MP with you guys one day. Maybe a PBEM? But after 1.09.

7. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Mainly PBEM. ^^,

We tend to play the sama game, and just take turns. True fun, 'cause everyone does his own strategy. Also very instructive, you tend to learn a lot by watching what others do.

8. Dale

Dale Chieftain

I'm not a fan of this idea. It penalises bigger colonies.

I will consider a mixed method though, of bells and number of rebels. That would introduce a linear plus variable REF.

9. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Pretty interesting idea.

My idea is no matter what the size, if REF has the same analogy with Rebels population (which is very close to total pop.), difficulty will be about the same. Let's say 1:3?

If now you keep your nice cap, here you are; large empires get a huge bonus. :)

Anyway v1.08 is awesome. Doing lots of playtesting (~2h every day) and having fun.

::knock:: knock:: Hermann still stuck with this v1.07 game?

10. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Chieftain

• "That idiot did WHAT with my colonies?"
    • "You took WHICH Founding Father? Are you out of your mind?"
    • "Why are our dragoons down THERE??"
    • "You triggered a Stack of Doom and I'M supposed to deal with it??"

Yep. Lots of fun! ;)

But Dale, you're not allowed to have fun until 1.09 is out! But then...

...you get to debug it. :p

p.s. Nope, I'm not still stuck with that 1.07 game. I'm still stuck with that 1.06 game!! Don't worry, I'll be finished Real Soon Now.

11. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

I guess once you get into Ph3 I'll start converting MareNostrum over. Thouhg I don't need pirates (or natives really).

We made need you for advice on some code specifically
    - have the home city be the "sail to europe" plot (Koma is working it)
    - the wonder victory
    - having a building that converts a resource directly to gold
    - have a building convert a resource to exploration, political, etc points
    - something to the effect where you can have a middle or upperclass citizen that consumes a resource, doesn't produce any, but the number of these upperclass citizens leads to a victory condition (or ties into the economic one)

12. Keeshi

Keeshi Chieftain

1.11: Native victory & ability to play them <-- omg... I want this one <3

Can't wait.

13. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

just thinking on that. you could let the natives build the basic Euro buildings (tobacconist house etc) IF they 100 of the refined product (cigars for example). It would just require an xml copy of the current buildings. that could be a start :dunno:

14. Keeshi

Keeshi Chieftain

Thats a great idea.

I also think that there should be 2 different victories.

1) Defeat the all Euro Colonies.

2) Ally with all other tribes, and atleast 1 other Euro group(kinda diplo)

15. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Awesome news.

Hermann, you forgot the "Where on earth are my tools?!" :D

Get on with it!!!! ;)

16. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Chieftain

Two problems with #1: it's too easy to wipe them all out at least once, but then they respawn indefinitely.

Mysh: Tools? What tools? Gee...I don't know what happened to them. "Kaching!"

17. Dale

Dale Chieftain

You guys have too much time on your hands. :lol:

18. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Chieftain

Yeah, Phd my @ss!! :p

19. Antilogic

Antilogic --

What about the African slave trade? I think Dom Pedro was working on that, although I have been away from the Colonization forums for awhile and don't know the status of his mod.

20. Keeshi

Keeshi Chieftain

We haven't seen him sence before the new year.

So, no one is working on that.