1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AoDII Crashes Col in Vista (64 bit)

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Age of Discovery II' started by Stacmon, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Stacmon

Stacmon Explorer

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a problem that I have been having in order to inform and also to seek out some help.

I recently bought a new laptop and reinstalled Col/AoDII. I had the same version of the mod on my old computer and everything worked fine. Now however, whenever I try to launch a game, the program crashes. This also seems to happen if I try to change certain options, such as my resolution. It is worth noting however that none of these problems seem to occur when I run a "vanilla" version of Col.

I can't even begin to guess what the cause of my problems might be, especially since the game seems to run flawlessly without the mod enabled (but I just can't go back to that :sad:, I love the improvements in AoDII).

Does anyone know what the cause might be or could think of any possible solution that I should try? For reference, here are some details about my computer:

P8600 Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz processor
    4 gb ram
    2 x 512mb Geforce 9800m GTS in SLI
    Vista 64 bit (my old laptop ran the game in Win XP)

I'm grateful for any and all help!

2. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

Why are you running x64 with only 4 GB of RAM? x32 runs 3.6 GB, an extra .4 GB isn't really going to make much of a difference on it's own, and x64 consumes more resources then x32. I'm running AoDII on my x64 just fine, though granted I have a much better processor and 8 GB RAM. Maybe your hardware isn't enough to run it?

3. Stacmon

Stacmon Explorer

Success!

Well, I feel a little silly but I found the problem (thankfully it was something really simple). I believe that the following happened:

I tried to patch the game while inside the program, using "check for updates."

The patch would download and my 60 day trial of Norton 360 would prevent the patch from running (I didn't see a warning or dialogue while in full-screen of Col)

I would relaunch the game, thinking it was patched and try to play AoDII with the release version (1.00 instead of 1.01f).

To get around this, I manually downloaded the patch and ran it (Norton will prompt you if you're on your desktop if you are sure you want to run the .EXE file)

Regarding why I use 64 bit Vista, it was installed by default on my laptop. Fortunately, I have absolutely no problem running the game very smoothly on the maximum settings (including 16 AA).

Thanks to anyone who looked at this post and to you onion for replying. Maybe this will help the next person that suffers from a similar issue.

I'm so happy things worked out this way :lol:.

4. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Did you install the Col patch?

I too am running an x64 Vista laptop with no issues.

EDIT:
    X-post. Glad to hear you got it running. :)

5. Akrux

Akrux Chieftain

The automatic "check for updates" is seriously flawed. I had an endless series of problems after using that update system. Like you once I downloaded the update and installed it myself I was finally up and running fine.

6. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Chieftain

I used it no probs ;P

7. joachim_ds

joachim_ds Chieftain

no probs here. 4gb ram and 64bit vista