1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Apostle Levelling up

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Jethro_82, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Jethro_82

Jethro_82 Chieftain

Traditionally when I play Civ6(I've only ever played R&F) if I'm not suzerain of Yerevan the have 3 options for the first apostle upgrade, and if I've established the cardinal with enough upgrades to get a second I have 3 options for the second. Yesterday I was repeatedly getting only 2 or 1 options. Also it was my understanding that without Yerevan one could only have one debater at a time. At one point I had 5 or 6 debaters wandering the earth. Have they radically changed the rules? Is this a bug somehow?

2. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

You have always been able to get multiple debaters, whether or not you have Yerevan does not matter.

When you only get a few options to pick from, it means the other promotions "have run out". I've seen this often since the Vanilla release (even before R&F came out), and I think there is a limit on how many apostles (in total) there can be / have been, who had a certain promotion. So, if you're not quick, you can be late to the party and not get any debaters.

3. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I think it's a bug. Every now n then your apostle promotion options dry up. It usually (in my experience) fixes itself by the next time you make an apostle. I don't think you are limited to X number of apostles with X promotion.

4. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Warlord

It seems to prioritize promotions you have not chosen yet, or as much. During my last religious game, I deliberately took a bad promotion on every apostle after getting Moshka. And I took 2 bad ones on my belief enhancers. Doing this appearwd to keep the promotions I actually wanted in rotation

Banazir864 likes this.
  5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

The debater promotion comes at a random turn when you make an apostle or many apostles in the same turn that grants that promotion (debater). Its luck because if you land in a turn when all the new apostles get the debater promotion, every apostle you make will get the debater promotion. You never know what promotion you will get in that turn (the one with the debater promotion) so if you buy apostles on a turn that gives off the debater promotion then you're lucky (because all the apostles you purchased were purchased on the turn that has the debater promotion for all apostles). I can't tell when the turn will give the debater promotion before I buy the apostle. The only guaranteed debater promotion is the first apostle you buy. You'll almost always get the debater promotion and you can keep it and you don't have to enhance the religion until the next apostle which will most likely not have the debater promotion. Its hard but the first apostle will have debater for sure.

6. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

I am of the persuasion that the pool of options was already drained in your case. It was explained somewhere that the offered promotions are those less picked before. So when I prioritize getting Debaters, later I will not get any. I have also seen times where there were only two pointless promotions offered, perhaps even one.

Banazir864 likes this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, my last game the pool dried up late on and I was stuck with everyone only having 2 choices left. Wasn't a terrible problem since they were just being martyrs for me, but it does mean if you are planning on suiciding them for relics, to choose the bad promotions

Banazir864 likes this.
  8. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

If you use monastic isolation you wouldn't lose religious pressure on cities with your religio nearby when your apostle martyrs.

9. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I refreshed an older bug report with my own example here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/1-0-0-290-apostles-losing-promotion-options-over-time.642016/

In that thread I have also linked a longer discussion with speculations/observations about the mechanics here and there is also an explanation how the current system can be exploited to get the desired promotion more often (which leads me to the connclusion that the current mechanic is broken, because it exactly allows in the end what it tries to prevent in first place :crazyeye: ):

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ted-with-same-promotion.607261/#post-14612362

Banazir864 likes this.