Apostle promotions

Abaxial

Emperor
It seems to me that one can divide the eight apostle promotions into four good and four bad:

Debater - best
Translator - good
Orator - good
Pilgrim - good

Martyr - useless (I don't intend my apostles to get killed)
Indulgence vendor - mostly useless
Barbarian conversion - useless in the late game when you actually have apostles
Medic - useless

It also seems to me that whenever you get a choice of three promotions, while you would expect to get an even break of good and bad, almost always get either one good and two bad, or three bad. I wonder if this is deliberate?

Proselytizer - good

Also, depending on circumstances, Martyr can be worth it.

Heathen conversion can be used on barbarians that spawn from low amenities.

And martyr is not bad if it's not your religion and you like relics.

Heathen Conversion is great when used on Partisans. In one game I created three tank armies and two helicopter armies with minimal faith costs for a few apostles. Chaplain can come in handy early in the game before Medics are available. For Martyr I like to use up all the Apostle's charges except one and then go on combat spree until they die to create a relic.

I wouldn't call Debater the best. You only need a few of them if going for religious victory and much more of those that give 3x spread strength, extra spreads and 75% elimination of other religions.

Medic is theoretically very good, a medic for military units with 4 movement. The problem there is that it's very rarely needed given how bad the AI is at combat.

It seems that the division you made is to groups: (i) Reigious victory oriented and (ii) geared towards other types of victory conditions.

Martyr - Reliquaries and Tourism victory.
Heathen conversion - free Caravels!
Medic - well, a Medic indeed.
Indulgence vendor - Yeea, this is crappy crap.

The only 2 promotions that are mandatory are Debater and Proselytizer. You need at least 1 debater for home turf protection. After the first or maybe the 2nd they aren't so important. Proselytizer is the best for spreading mid and late game. Hit a city once with a Proselytizer and finish it off with missionaries. None of the other promotions are even really needed. Ever.

Debater, Proselytizer, Translator, Orator, Pilgrim - all good for spreading your religion; which is best depends on the particular circumstances

Martyr - as pointed out, great for tourism

Heathen Conversion - good for non-domination games as a way to supplement your military; can sometimes get you units that help with a tech boost; as pointed out, grabbing a free Caravel is often very useful

Medic - great for domination games, helps your units recover and press forward much more quickly than they otherwise would

Indulgence Vendor - when is gold bad? basically, always worse than a promotion that matches your victory type, but better than a promotion that doesn't

Although I'm not a fan of the way religious spreading/combat has been implemented in Civ 6, I think the developers did a good job with the promotion options for Apostles.

Indulgence vendor - Yeea, this is crappy crap.
Indulgence Vendor could use a minor buff, something like: Gain 100 gold every time you use a charge on a city following another religion (+/- for the first time). That way, at least you wouldn't have to micromanage it quite as much.

Indulgence Vendor could use a minor buff, something like: Gain 100 gold every time you use a charge on a city following another religion (+/- for the first time). That way, at least you wouldn't have to micromanage it quite as much.

Change it to Televangelist after you research Radio and station him/her in a Broadcast Centre to generate gold each turn from neighbouring foreign cities?

If your apostle dies in debate then your religion takes a hit in nearby cities, which is counterproductive, assuming you have a religion that gives you benefits from having followers around the world. Winning debates is a better way of converting cities than actually using spreads (though you have to do some spreading). Never use an apostle's last spread - keep him as backup for your debating team, and keep them tight together with a couple of gurus. Then religious victory is probably the easiest of them all..

In my current game as Sythia, I converted 12 barbarian swordsmen and 4 crossbowmen in 5 turns with one apostle (he also had the 2x additional charges promo) right before the musketmen upgrade. Needless to say, my neighbour had a bad time.:p

Also, how is medic useless? xD

I forgot about Proselytiser in the OP, which is a good promotion. So with five good ones, how is it I always get at most one out of three good?

I don't rate medic as I train apostles to go out and spread the Word, not trail after the military (who are just doing garrison, me being a peaceful soul - most of the time).

Well, Khmer would like to have a word with you about your defense for Martyr. There are always special cases ...
Simple... You cannot suicide missionaries since they cannot attack.
I find that the AI is smart enough to avoid attacking your martyrs (sometimes... I find they just ignore them and run their apostles straight for their target city). With apostles you can just ram them into whatever (missionary, inquisitor, etc.) you come across.

Top Bottom