Apostolic Palace and state religion?

MusX

Prince
does Apostolic Palace remember state religion when it's build?
how it react for changing state religion?
1. changing religion for religion which apear in apostolic palace's city
2. changing religion for religion which is not apear in apostolic palace's city

I've build Apostolic Palace when I got taoism as state religion (all tao shrines was +2 :hammers: ), later I've change state religion for christianity cause it was more popular, but my † didn't get +2 :hammers: , tao shrines still have +2 :hammers:

is it profitability to spread apostolic city's religion?
I'm not asking about profits from holy city +1 :gold: per city with religion but are there any profits that comes with apostolic palace, more civs to vote are more opposition votes, so It may be not worth to spread :confused:

1.The religion under which the AP was built will stay forever. Thats why even after you switched away from Taoism, they still got the hammer bonus.

2.A diplo win requires that every civ can vote. So yes it is profitable to spread your religion, but as you say that means more opposition, so only spread it to one city per AI civ but ALL your cities. Of course the natural spread will probably give your opponents more votes than you would want, and there isnt much you can do about that.(apart from having closed borders)

yay! thanks for your great reply. now I know everything about AP :)
cheers

What actually happens when the constructor of the AP doesn't run a state religion upon completion? Strangely enough, I haven't really thought about it before.

Is there a difference between No religion (paganism) and Free religion?

IIRC you can't put any :hammers: into AP if you are not currently running a state religion. Concerning the AP, I think there is no difference between no state religion and running the free religion civic, which causes you not to have a state religion. :)

Yep, AP cannot be constructed if you are not in a religion. A city must have a religion as well. You can however switch religions during construction if you desire the AP to be in a different religion.

No state religion - paganism, free religion, or simply switching to it (free religion does that automatically), has no impact on the hammer bonuses of AP religious buildings.

Building AP makes you automatically eligible for Resident vote and Diplo Victory vote, regardless of if you are actually in the AP religion. However, if not in AP religion, but an AP "voting member" due to having cities with the AP religion present, you only get the standard number of votes based on population with that religion. If you are in the AP religion, i.e., "full member, your AP vote is doubled based on population.

AP victory can easily be manipulated due to these factors, which makes many consider an "easy" or "cheesy" victory. You can even elect not to be in the religion into the last turn of the Diplo Victory vote (turn 0) and switch to the religion to get full votes.

What actually happens when the constructor of the AP doesn't run a state religion upon completion?

You mean if they swap out of their Religion after building it (they HAVE to run a state religion to build it)? I have an answer for that, as it happened in both my NC194 Ragnar attempts. The AP builder will be in the election for AP Resident like normal. If they swap out of the AP religion later they can still be re-elected with enough support, and can also win Religious Leader (the AP possesor is always eligible for Resident or Religious Leader wins), but will have their votes cut in half on everything if not running the state religion of the AP (Voting Member status). They may still vote for other Religious Leader candidates or resolutions, from what I saw, based on their diplomatic alignments. I had Hannibal help Huayna win Religious Leader in one game even thought the former was in Free Religion when the vote was called, as he liked HC.

Is there a difference between No religion (paganism) and Free religion?
Yes.

You can still run a state religion in Paganism and get all the cultural, happiness and diplomatic modifiers, and AP voting power of having that state religion. It's just that the civic itself does nothing. Running a state religion will add happiness for each city with it, but removes the passive culture generation from all religions except the state one. Cathedral buildings also rely on state religions for their bonus happiness.

Free Religion forces no state religion to be selected so you lose all benefits or detriments except the +1 culture per turn for having non-state religion present (for each religion concurrently), but it will emulate the happiness bonus through the civic itself (+1 happy per religion present in a city). Free Religion can additionally add more diplo through Favorite Civic bonus with certain AI and gives a research bonus. In terms of the AP resolution voting, FR will cut your voting power in half (you get double votes when in the AP state religion).

Your state religion has no bearing on the AP hammer bonus on buildings of the AP religion, only your standing in the elections--defy a resolution and you lose the hammers. Supposedly the hammers come back after later voting for a resolution that passes, but it's unclear to me since I never care about it and I hear conflicting information about it.

The overall effect is that with similar or greater religious spread, FR is generally better for happiness and passive culture (since any religion present in a city will give you both under FR) and reducing negative diplo while giving you slightly more beakers, while running Paganism or any other Religion civic with a State Religion allows you to amass greater magnitudes of both positive/negative diplo along religious factional lines, which can be good or bad depending on how you manipulate it.

Top Bottom