Appearance of leaders & rice artwork

AlanH11

Chieftain
I'm new to Civ6, and still discovering, but in an excellent game, one thing does bug me, and that's the cartoonish appearance of the leaders. This is particularly obvious on the initial load screen where about five of them are grouped together. If I didn't know better, I would assume I was about to play a Disney game designed for children.

Harsh? Or would anyone else prefer more lifelike characters?

One other minor thing: I can't fathom why the artwork for farmed rice consists of dark grey bands. In reality, rice fields are usually waterlogged, and the rice itself is a vibrant green. In other areas the colours are fine, so why dark grey rice fields?

I'm new to Civ6, and still discovering, but in an excellent game, one thing does bug me, and that's the cartoonish appearance of the leaders. This is particularly obvious on the initial load screen where about five of them are grouped together. If I didn't know better, I would assume I was about to play a Disney game designed for children.

Harsh? Or would anyone else prefer more lifelike characters?

One other minor thing: I can't fathom why the artwork for farmed rice consists of dark grey bands. In reality, rice fields are usually waterlogged, and the rice itself is a vibrant green. In other areas the colours are fine, so why dark grey rice fields?

I blame the art style and weak AI on PlayStation, Xbox, and most especially the Android/ Apple apps. I really believe the AI could have been (like GalCivIII's) much better if the publisher had allowed Firaxis to make the game for it's fans and not for a money grab this mediocre disappointment this franchise has become.

There was a lot of negative commentary when Civ VI first came out on the 'cartoonish' appearance of the game, the animations, the terrain, etc. Now everybody has gotten used to it, or claims they have, and of course there are some people that prefer it.
On the other hand, one of the most popular Mods is one that 'converts' the Civ VI map back into a near-Civ V, more realistic terrain map, and the very detailed and realistic terrain shown in the screenshots of the forthcoming Humankind 4X historical game have people drooling.

I suspect Civ VI will be the first and last Civ game with the cartoon look. The competition coming down the tracks: Soren Johnson's Ten Crowns and Amplitude's Humankind, are both showing very 'natural' looking terrain on their maps, and it has elicited a lot of positive comments.

There was a lot of negative commentary when Civ VI first came out on the 'cartoonish' appearance of the game, the animations, the terrain, etc. Now everybody has gotten used to it, or claims they have, and of course there are some people that prefer it.
On the other hand, one of the most popular Mods is one that 'converts' the Civ VI map back into a near-Civ V, more realistic terrain map, and the very detailed and realistic terrain shown in the screenshots of the forthcoming Humankind 4X historical game have people drooling.

I suspect Civ VI will be the first and last Civ game with the cartoon look. The competition coming down the tracks: Soren Johnson's Ten Crowns and Amplitude's Humankind, are both showing very 'natural' looking terrain on their maps, and it has elicited a lot of positive comments.
Civ VI wasn't the first with cartoonish looks Civ Revolutions for iPhone and Android had them to.

Civ VI wasn't the first with cartoonish looks Civ Revolutions for iPhone and Android had them to.

Can't comment directly on the look since I've never used any portable device to play anything other than Solitaire. Personal Belief: any attempt to move a game designed to use a computer screen and GPU/CPU to the tiny screen of one of the phones or tablets will require major graphics and probably memory usage changes. Once we have Heads Up projectable displays for everything, that will change, but right now, the Devices are extremely limited compared to computers when it comes to easily-visible graphics.

All other Civ titles besides Civ 5 have the colorful look, look at Civ 4 and how Julius Caeasar offers you "salad he just made".

So many new players had been introduced to Civilization by Steam and Civ 5 complete, so they were shocked when Civ 6 had a different art style.

Add to that the entitled and whiny attitude of gamers...

"I am a big boy! I dont like cartoon baby games! This is made for iphones!" *goes watching anime*

I must look out for that mod.
There should also be a mod for making cartoon characters more lifelike. As @Haig states, Civ6 is a "cartoon baby game."

I must look out for that mod.
There should also be a mod for making cartoon characters more lifelike. As @Haig states, Civ6 is a "cartoon baby game."

These:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...id=0&browsesort=trend&section=readytouseitems
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=289070&requiredtags[]=Skins
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=289070&requiredtags[]=Skins

The first gives you Civ V-like terrain, the second better forests and rainforests, and the third better coastal waves and breakers. The three together make a much better looking map, IMHO.

BUT Bottom line, it's all Personal: I like to play a Historical 4X game on a historical-looking map, but there is so much fantasy mixed in to Civ VI that playing it on a 'cartoon' map may fit other people's tastes better.

I would point out though, that I don't remember a whole lot of comments like "What great looking cartoon terrain!" when Civ VI came out, whereas the new proposed 4x Historical game, Humankind, has gotten a host of raves for its very realistic-looking terrain.

More than the style of the graphics, it is their over-simplicity that shocked me before release. My 2010 computer runs it smoothly (although not all options at max obviously, eventhough I don't see much difference with youtubers that seem to play on "ultra" or its equivalent)
As to the cartoon, I only remember Gandhi in Civ1 that looked funny and sarcastic. As to Civ4, the leaders were definitely cartoonish, especially with that frightening bug that showed their eyes without their skin arf.

Top Bottom