1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Appearance of Scientific Leaders

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by julia, Jul 9, 2004.

1. julia

julia Chieftain

hi there

i reacently did a OCC with the byzantines on monarch and i had three scientific leaders (cultural victory in 1665!!). i have the feeling that scientific leaders appeared ONLY if i reasearched a technology that noone else was able to reasearch.
    example: one SGL appeared with Code Of Laws, when noone else had writing, one appered with Chivalery, when noone else had Monotheism. in another game i got one from my free middleage tech (scientiffic), when all others were lacking currency.

so i would like your thoughts on this:
    is it possible that SGL only appear if you are so technological advanced that you discover a technology that noone else has access to because they are lacking another?

thanks for your comments!

2. Tranquility

Tranquility Grand unifier

Maybe. I jsut got a leader myslef unppon reserching chemistry. I think the way it works is that if you have a considerable lead in a oaret of the tech tree, you'll get a ,eader. You're byzantine, and i think scientific civs have higher probabilitie to have a leader than other civs.

3. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

Hmm, I don't think so.The rule in the game is you have to research the tech first...of course being also the only one having the prequesits makes it much more likely to be the first (just being one tech in front means always the danger of catching up for AI civs)
    3 SGl in on game is good, but not so uncommon for a scientific civ being the techleader for a considerable amount of time.

4. Yaype

Yaype Me

You have a 3% chance upon researching a new tech that nobody else has of getting an SGL. You may think that the things you mentioned lend themselves to the creation of SGL's, but in reality, they do not. But being the tech leader to the point that the other civs cannot even research the techs you are researching because they do not have the prereuquisites make SGL's more likely simply on the basis that you are constantly researching new techs.

5. dmanakho

dmanakho Chieftain

I hate the entire scientific leaders idea... It was so much easier to build wonders in PTW, all you needed is a good war... Now you have to build all wonders by yourself...
    Although, while i am whining it's probably a good idea because it lowers human skills advantage over AI.
    I never had more than 2 SGL in a game myself.

6. Naval Power

Naval Power Sailing the Seven Seas

I have had a grand total of 1 scientific leader, and he was in the Rise of Rome scenario when I almost beat it. I used him to do a scientific golden age or something didnt look like it really boosted anything.

7. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

The scientific golden age is currently broken.Some increase in research is displayed, but due a bug the additional beakers are in fact lost.Hopefully there will be a final patch which addresses this.But if even if it should work someday like intended I doubt it is worth - most of the time you are better off with a rushed wonder.

8. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Well, yes, since you have to be in tech lead *already* :lol: i don't see any point of being in scientific golden age.
    On the other hand, I had a most curious problem (i was having fun on regent). I got one leader from Code of Laws and one from Philosophy. Ahem. Had to spend the first one on Pyramids (not bad at all) and the other one on Great Library (nonsense on regent except for 6 cpt) because I lacked other techs (oh my I'd like to have temple of artemis splash screen once in a lifetime). I got a grand total of 5 SGLs that game and won a 20k victory :)
    But Its okay that they removed the MGL ability to rush great wonders. Germany would be just too powerful in leaders (and wonders).

9. Yaype

Yaype Me

Wow...5 SGLs in one game. I have yet to get a second total. I guess it is just too much letting the AI do all the research for me. :p

10. julia

julia Chieftain

i think they fixed it. i saved the game (mentioned above) and tried SGA, and it worked. i am using V1.22.

anyways: did anybody get a SGL from a tech that the AI had the prequesits for? i would really like to be prooved wrong with my theory that they only appear if you have a significant techlead and the AI is lacking the prequesits for your new tech.

11. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Yep. Plenty of times :) Mainly with getting Polytheism as my bonus tech from Philosphy.

12. kokoras

kokoras Bizarre

SGL as an idea is not bad at all,however the mathematic calculations of AI for giving a SGL is very confusing.We speak for the 3% and 5% but i know that with a scientific civ the chances of geting one are minimum.1 SGL during the hall game is the maximum i ever got,and most off the times i get none even if i am continuesly ahead on tech.

13. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

Must be bad luck, I had more than one time two or three with a scientific civ.
    But of course, 5% doesn't mean a leader in every game.I don't know how long your were techleader in your game, but let me make an example:
    If you manage to research 50 techs first, there is still a chance of about 7,5% that you will get no leader (95%/0,95 per tech to the power of 50).
    Researching 30 techs first means even a probability of 21,5% to get no leader.

14. kokoras

kokoras Bizarre

The probabilities of wining the lottery seems to be better than the ones of getting a SGL. :lol:

15. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

No, they didn't fix it. It only appears so in the screen, but if you count the number of turns needed for the next tech you will notice NO speed increase.

Regarding the original question of this thread: You can get a SGL when you are first to discover a tech, regardless if other research it as well.

16. MikeH

MikeH Chieftain

I found out last night that, unlike MGLs, you can get another even if you already have one. I had one fortified in my capital waiting for Economics to come in so I could build Smith's and discovering banking first gave me a second.

17. julia

julia Chieftain

oh, really? i only tried the button and watched the turns on F1 go down, so you might be right... well, rushing wonders is the best use for SGL anyways so its not a real loss. they should fix it nevertheless!

thanks for your comments everyone!

18. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

That's what we are here for :)

@MikeH: yes, that's indeed a great thing. You can even have two SGL's in a turn. I once discovered Philosophy and choose Literature as free tech. Both @1st and both giving SGL.

19. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

Yes, thats true and nice, but beware - there is a bug which prevents you from getting any MGLs if you have a SGL around.

20. MikeH

MikeH Chieftain

Ah! I thought I was just having bad luck with my elite units in the prolonged war with the Mongols.