1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Cult -- All Just Vacuous Branding?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pangur Bán, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

Apple makes good products, but at the end of the day, they're just another corporation that is trying to sell both their goods and their market reputation.

2. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

it's not. I was a big apple hater for all the logical reasons. Then a couple of my friends had 'em, my brother in law had one back in the day when it made a difference, and escape velocity was only for mac at the time so I'd use them occasionally. Over time they grew on me bit by bit. But the later versions of OSX were just nice to use. I physically enjoy using my 3 year old Macbook Pro. The big giant single plate for the trackpad is better than most mice I've used. The keyboard is cleanly simple but all I need. The screen is gorgeous. OSX is just comfortable.

The iPod touch is also a pleasure to use. The iPad is lovely (don't own one) and everyone I know with one is very happy with it.

The design, the interfacing, the ergonomics, the aesthetic, it's just nice.

Plus, Apple Logic is an amazing piece of software not available for Windows. That's hardly $200 ripped jeans.

3. Hygro

I wonder why they don't take some of that cash to buy back more of their company? Then cash in on dividends later :devil:

Probably been talked about and not economical. Or useful for (revolutionizing) growth strategies.

4. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

@Hygro: honestly I'm not a fan of Apple's keyboards, either the desktop or laptop versions. Lenovo keyboards are physically a joy to use while chiclet keyboards are just awkward.

Preferences &c. :)

5. Hygro

I hated this keyboard for the first couple months. Once I got used to it, that's when it got awesome.

6. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

Microsoft Über Alles

7. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I find Mac's obnoxious to use, the interface really gets in the way of what I want to do. Things like closing windows not closing out of programs, very hard to tell at a glance which program is open, the hard-drive is really annoying to surf through and isn't very intuitive. And then there's other very ugly things about the interface that annoy me to now end, the biggest of which is that windows can't be made full screen, there's no button for it and the Mac always leaves a giant band at bottom for the task bar for some reason. Also everything is grey and white.

The keyboards are too flat for me, and I constantly hit the wrong keys, the single click mouses are literally the worst invention possible (especially on the laptops, it takes me like a minute just to get right click to work, it should not), I'm not sure if the track ball on the double click mice can do middle click, without which my ability to surf the web drops in like half.

Honestly, maybe all the above is just the result of me being more familiar with windows, but I avoid using Macs at all costs. It destroys my productivity and they're impossible to use.

All though I will say the iPod, iPhone and their offshoot products I don't actually mind all that much.

8. Hygro

It is a matter of familiarity. Except for the harddrive browsing. That's one thing Apple sucks at.

As for the mouse, if you press the right side of the trackpad, it's a right mouse click ;). If you two finger tap the trackpad, it's a right mouse click ;) It really couldn't be easier. Scrolling around and moving windows with the trackpad is amazing. Windows can be made to full screen the way you want them to. Keeping the programs open is preferable. It's just keeping the program hot so you can load it back up quickly. I much prefer that. It's very easy to right click and select "quit" if you need to completely free up the ram. That "giant band" can be made to disappear, it can be moved to the left or right, and can be resized as you see fit.

9. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

The Mac laptops I use at school, the track-pad is literally just one button, in order to do right click I have to either have a second finger down on the track-pad while clicking (very awkward) or be holding down control (very awkward). I don't prefer to keep programs going, when I close out, I want them gone (I'm very RAM conscience, better for my gaming). That band can be resized in order to maximize space, but I'm still left with this little space at the bottom and a very tiny task-bar, which makes it very hard to see what I have open. Much prefer the cleanliness of the windows taskbar which takes up just enough space to get it's job done, and allows for the window to take up the entire monitor without the desktop showing.

Anyways, as you prefaced your post, this is all just a familiarity thing I guess. I grew up on PC's, and learned every shortcut and nuance, so I can do so much more on them. Macs, not so much.

So whatever, not much more point in arguing this :p

10. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Business models. The company laptop I use is still a Lenovo Thinkpad T410, and while it has very good technical specifications, its [lack of] quality makes it a piece of crap (unfortunately I got a new Lenovo just weeks before they switched back to Dell, so I'm stuck with this one for now). I've had problems with the video card since the first month; after a long battle Lenovo eventually replaced it (Dell would have done it in one week, Lenovo did it over 4 painful months).

11. Hygro

Change the settings on System Preferences. It's one big button for me too. It's awesome, because you have all the room and control in the world. But you do need to customize the settings a tad to set up a good right-mouse setting and the touch options.

12. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

This convo I read with interested, because I'd been thinking of getting myself a little Lenovo netbook. Basically the price and specs are great, and there is a moral superiority to buy from just about the only computer company that doesn't outsource and send its profits away from the country it actually makes stuff in.

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Apple products (to me) are basically just overpriced hardware in a nice package w/ a slick user interface. Status symbols aren't important to me so I've never owned an apple product of any kind before.. but I could see myself maybe getting a laptop at some point. They're overpriced, but if any of my money making ventures pan out and I have a lot of disposable income, I'd get one.

We had an issue setting up an external hd to work with both macs and pcs.. it was a huge pain in the butt. Apple doesn't make it easy for you to interface with non-apple technology

14. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Their interfaces are slick. Really slick. That’s the greatness of Apple, that they have great understanding of how to create a product that is useable.

Then there’s iTunes which figured out how to monetize song downloads. Sweet deal and wicked smart.

It’s not all good marketing. Apple is really good at developing interfaces and iTunes was genius. Marketing it is huge part of it.

15. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

They announded their first quarterly dividend at 2.65/qtr and another 10 billion stock repurchase on Monday.

I'm interested to see what their plans are in the low margin tv business. Content? Streamlined devices? Should be interesting.

16. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

They neither extreme as stated in the OP. They produce really good gadgets, but so do other people. In the end, you need to determine what your needs are and then find the device that fits them best.

That said, I think they have done an incredible job in terms of innovation. You might not like the iPhone but the smartphone you use is better because the iPhone exists.

17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I only hate them because they are the big dog on top. Everyone hates the big dog. Just like everyone used to hate Microsoft many years back. Now Apple is bigger than even MS.

The reason I don't buy their products is because they are cool. I strive to be uncool. I actively avoid going with the crowd whenever I can. The only Apple product I use is itunes, and that is free (I use it with my existing mp3's, I don't actually buy music).

And why is easier always better? That's just laziness imho. I want a product that makes me think. I want a product that is so hard to use, that it takes a 300 page manual to learn it. :D The more difficult the interface, the better. It's why I'm typing this post on this webpage through DOS, I don't use Windows or Apple's OS.

18. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

my ipod is awesome, as is itunes. I don't know of any other company that can really touch Apple in the music distribution market. Their innovations with music downloading have been revolutionary.

As for the rest of their hardware, it's good, but i'm not sure how long they can be the top innovator.

19. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

@DT: I hope you mean iTunes as a distribution platform, not as a music player. :)

20. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Don't forget that it is also decidedly mediocre as an organizational tool