Application Switching, C3C for Mac

Command Tab works OK here, in window or full screen mode.

Which patch version are you running? I think the first release didn't respond to Cmd Tab in full screen mode.

Command Tab works OK here, in window or full screen mode.

Which patch version are you running?

I've never patched it. The version shows as 1.22 (v.4945). I guess that must be different from Rev A. I'll download that and try again.

Mine says Version 1.22 Rev. A (v10667)

Yeah, now mine does, too, but Cmd+Tab still doesn't work. I can switch out partially, meaning the full screen game becomes something less than full screen. But the tab icons don't appear, I can't switch directly into another app, and the game still covers up my left-glued dock. Worse, when I try to tab back into the game, I just get black screen.

I don't know if it is related, but the graphics also appear to be a lot more jerky. Unless you have a good suggestion, I'm going to switch back. I'm running a fully updated OS 10.3.9, on an older laptop with 512mb RAM and a 1.33GHz G4. (This game is sure processor intensive. The laptop is bloody hot when the game is running, even if it is completely idle.)

If you have any ideas, let me know.

I never run full screen except when checking questions like yours, but I tried it again, and it "just works" here - Command Tab or Command-H both hide the full-screen Civ3 display, allowing me to see my normal desktop. You don't get an application selection ribbon going this way. Command-Tab then gives me the usual app switching ribbon where I can reselect Civ3 and its display reappears. I'm running an Intel MacPro with OS X 10.4.10, but I doubt if your PPC CPU and older OS would affect this function.

If you want to have access to other Mac apps, as I do, have you considered running Civ3 in a window? I find it far more flexible. And as I have two screens, I have Civ3 on one screen, and the rest of my world on the other, which also has the dock and menu bar.

Re. processor utilisation, there's a checkbox in the start-up dialog to reduce it (Command-double-click the Civ3 application to open the dialog). In Rev A I think that is supposed to make laptop operation cooler. Have you tried it?

Top Bottom