1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

APR Regent Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by Lord Civius, May 27, 2008.

1. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

We have had bad luck this game with the Faction leaders or designated players going AWOL. I have suggested we appoint a Regent to the Crown for the Arkadian Dynasty. A short poll has seen support for such a position to help stop the disruption of Gameplay.
    Discussing the Regents Powers-
    • The Regent is either appointed by the King if he is active, or elected by the APR members in his absence.
    • If the King is absent for 3 days without notice the Regent would assume the Crown as Interum King.
    • If the King fails to appoint a designated player in an announced absence the Regent would become the DP.
    • The Regent is the sole heir to the throne and becomes King if his predecessor has to step down.

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

If the King is not active and we need to elect a Regent, how long will the poll be open and will it be public?
    What if the Regent takes over in either kind of absence, but can't play the save? Can he appoint a DP?

I would think a complete job description should be written for this role before a poll is run.

3. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I agree all the details of the position should be layed out and discussed before an official poll is created.

I propose there always be a Regent. It would defeat the purpose to have to elect one in the absence of the King. The whole point is to avoid disruptions in the Gameplay. For instance if we had a Regent now he would have taken power 2 days ago, when kwp was officially absent for 3 days. Now the the first Regent, as the King is absent and can't appoint one, should be elected by the APR Faction members. 2 days to put yourself on the ballot and a 2 day election poll should suffice. This is of course after discussion and a complete job description.

Edit- yes the poll should be public.

A back-up plan for the back-up plan. Yes I think the Regent should hold the complete powers the King does, including the power to appoint DP's.

4. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

I'm sorry. RL has dropped the bomb on me, and I cannot continue to put forth nearly the effort that I once did on the DG. I have an emergency contract to put together for work, not to mention I had to re-stain my deck, host a huge Memorial day BBQ, and am now looking at being sent on travel soon. My attendance will be sporadic I'm afraid :(

As regent or as the new King, should you choose, I recommend either Joe Harker, dutchfire, or BCLG100. We did play a TC on Friday right?

Hold the vote today and tomorrow, but for the love of God, get another TC running no later than this Friday. We, the APR told the community here that we could run two TCs a week, and we are in danger of failing on that promise.

Right now, I feel like declaring dutchfire the regent, but holding elections for a new King, which in rp terms we could handle as my abdication. I've been leaning on Joe Harker, dutchfire, and BCLG100 allot recently anyway. Either of them should be more than capable of getting this machine organized again.

Make it happen quickly though!

5. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Seems like a good idea.

Perhaps there should be an unelected appointed member of the game to step in if both the regent or king goes walkies.

6. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Well it looks like kwp has nominated Joe and Dutch. I suggest one be king and the other Regent (once we get it worked out). Next TC is friday so lets put up a poll tomorrow to elect our next King. If anyone else wants to run for King I suggest postig your intentions within the next 24 hours. If Joe or Dutch don't want to run please post by tomorrow if you can. I'd hate for one of you to win if you can't handle or don't want the responsibility.

Back to the Regent job description. So the position doesn't get overcomplicated I suggest:
    • The King appoints a Regent upon being Crowned.
    • The Regent is the DP for the King if he cannot play the turns, The Regent also has the power to appoint DP's in the Kings absence.
    • The Regent assumes the thrown if the King steps down or has an unannounced absence of 72 hours.

Is there anything else we need to add?

7. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

If there is an election, remember to make it a private poll.

8. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

This is a great idea. Someone who doesn't answer to the PF and is just there for an emergency situation. Maybe the DP Guild can nominate someone to fulfill this duty.

9. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I don't understand why election polls are private. How would we be able to tell if a non-citizen of the Dgame votes? I must have missed this discussion on this?

10. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

It's an old rule that the establishment came up with so they could win or sway any election they wanted. They will tell you that public polls hurt the feelings of those who lose the elections or that some people will not vote because they don't want others knowing who they voted for (peer pressure).

But all polls used to be private. It was simply the mechanics of the forum version. But with upgrades, came the luxury of public polls. This entitled everyone the privilage of seeing how a forum poll developed to it's conclusion. It also ensured that everyone was aware of WHO voted in the poll. This was a pure delight to some, as it made voting totals easily verified for those concerned. (People outside of the Forum members couldn't be drafted in for their votes alone. Vote robots and double logons used to rule DG elections.) But it was pure hell for those who wanted to control every election. They lost their power or control.

Therefore, they made a rule that said for the protecion of any indiviual's rights, a poll concerning any individual (an election, a trial, a popularity contest of any kind) was to be private. This would save an individual the embarrassment of losing in a public poll, plus encourage others, who were afraid of showing others how they voted, to vote more actively. These were the key points they made in keeping their conrol over the polls. Many disagree with pandering to the weak. Voting accountability is much more valuable to the game. Look a that one poll where we had 40 voters. Who were those people? Where did they come from? Did they really know what they were voting for? We will never know. But someone lobbied and shang-hai'd enough people to send the election their way. Story over, they win. Everyone's rights protected... right? I think not.

11. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

I'm willing to hold a TC Friday, I'll put up a thread to get instructions and all going. If we decide we want someone else to play, that's fine too, but someone has to take the initiative, or else, we won't have instructions.

12. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

I don't want to be "king" as A) I probably wouldn't be good, and B) i have exams in the next few weeks so i don't want to get too deep into runing the game at the moment, but thanks for the mention :goodjob:

13. Seidrik_The_Gray

No polling. I am making the decision now. I am working on an RP posting. However, for the sake of Aretania....

ALL HALE KING dutchfire!

14. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Hale?

Thanks! I hope I'll be able to lead well :king:

15. Joe Harker

:run: We all going to die!

(only joking :))

Well done!
    :goodjob:

16. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

*calls the heavily armored guards*

You had anything to say?

17. Seidrik_The_Gray

hale...hail...we Americans have not had the priviledge of a Monarchy in soooo long...errr...ever even...it's a word we are not required to spell correctly, lol. I think I have misspelled that word now about 5 times today...

18. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Hail King Dutchfire. You now have privy to my Dark Agents who shall protect you from jealous nobles and foreign threats. Great news too Sire my sneaky lil bastards have uncovered Hattys' hidden city. Check out the Foreign Affairs office later for the full story.

19. Joe Harker

Did I say that? I meant to say We are all going to live happily ever after! :mischief: