April Fool's: Firaxis announces: Civ 6: Pandemic Pack DLC (masks included)

Hit a nerve did I? Ah well.

Yes, I do very much prefer constructive discussion when I spend time on a forum.

For example, perhaps you could go into some detail about your grievances with the game? Civ 6 has received more than four years of post-release support, after all, including two expansions and I think something like a dozen DLCs, complete with balance patches and the like.

Yes, I do very much prefer constructive discussion when I spend time on a forum.

For example, perhaps you could go into some detail about your grievances with the game? Civ 6 has received more than four years of post-release support, after all, including two expansions and I think something like a dozen DLCs, complete with balance patches and the like.
Not here though. I'm not a fan of constant whining at the best of times, but it's ten times worse when it derails unrelated threads. If they want to complain, let them create their own thread that I can ignore.

I was so desperate for any new content for Civ 6 I actually fell for both April Fool's Jokes, this one and the official one about the three new editions. Now I really want a multiple leader lineup in Civ 7 and submerged cities.

Good intentions but this kind of just annoyed me because I wish it was actually in the game! Oh well. yeah yeah I know I know, scenarios.... I mean the base game!

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated :D.

We had thought about including more stuff, but at the end Laurana had a very good point with that a small, free DLC is more likely right now than a really bigger pack, so we scrapped some.
For the people who wonder, stuff which appeared in some drafts were:
Spoiler :

• New great Person: Anthoni Faucci
  • New wonder: Pfizer/Biontech
  • New resource: Ivertmectin. Gives +2 :c5gold:, -2 :c5science:
  • New great Person: Joe Roegan. Gives 5 resources of Ivermectin
Civilization pack: "The Nay-sayers"
Civilzation #1 is North Korea. North Korea's special ability is that it can only trade with China, but is unaffected by Covid.
Civilization #2 is Turkmentistan. Turkmenistan denies Covid, and can perform diplomacy while having covid. They also get +100% Tourism during Covid, but -50% growth.

One thing that might be added to Laurana's list is a variation on the Plague Doctor mechanic from the Black Death scenario -- either add some sort of "Vaccination" item, or perhaps modify the "Social Distancing" one to reference the inability to work a tile adjacent to any infected tile unless the tile has been vaccinated by a new civilian unit, the "Vaccinator" which can be obtained from working a Vaccination Project

I also like the casus belli suggestion from @EgonSpengler :D.

I like all of those, but this could have given it away to a few naive readers :D

perhaps modify the "Social Distancing"
Oh yeah. 1UPT becomes... 1 unit per 7 tiles. Impossible to cross over an occupied tile, nor a ZOC, even if enough movement.

Everyone's gonna love the logistics of that :D

Last edited:
Oh yeah. 1UPT becomes... 1 unit per 6 tiles. Impossible to cross over an occupied tile, even if enough movement.

Actually, you can fill a third of a hexagon grid without any entities touching each other, so it'd be 1 unit per 3 tiles.

Yes but not exactly either :)

upload_2022-4-4_23-18-18.png

Yes but not exactly either :)

View attachment 624073

In an infinite grid, yes you can. All three colors can infinitely extend without ever touching their own color:

upload_2022-4-5_9-13-42.png

(also note that any finite grid, no matter the shape, can be cut out of this infinite grid, and while one or two colors may appear in slightly less than 1/3 of the total hexagons, on average the 1/3 is preserved - in other words, if you only use one fill, you can always fit at least one entity per three tiles in, and depending on the exact construction of the grid higher numbers may be possible)

OK you got me! But once it's like that, per the other rules, no one can move. :lol:

True that. But it's possible!

Reactions: PiR
I would enjoy a disease mechanic in the game. I remember that was speculated with the Rise and Fall announcement, but we didn't end up getting it.

It could be tied in to a game event/decision system, where you get a number of sequential events in consecutive turns. Also, buildings like Sewers could increase resistance to diseases, until eventually you reach a point where something like covid is considered a major threat to public health rather than unnoticeable in between the plague, smallpox, cholera and you name it. And at that point you could have tradeoffs not between population dying and closing up, but rather mass unhappiness or closing up.

Also Earthquakes and Tsumani are missing

Always fun to joke about something that's killed millions of people. Okay I'm not exactly offended. I'm not of the age group to be offended by trivial things, and George Carlin is my favorite comedian, so I don't mind dark humor.

Top Bottom