1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[April Fools] New Civilization 5: Gods & Kings Details released

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by vexing, Mar 31, 2012.

1. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

:goodjob: vexing

Best one today

2. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Considering the date and that some of the features listed are just unbelievable. Sure, some would make sense, but the movie deal is the part that threw it into question for me. I did look at the date of the posting (which was last night) before reading and they nearly got me with Zulu, etc. But there are just some elements that scream "THIS IS A JOKE! APRIL FOOLS!"

Still, if it were true, I would be kind of miffed that the Navy SEALs would replace the Marines again. That was one of the things that urked me about the original... even though I was a squid myself. The SEALS are just not the same thing as the Marines.

For the Prehistoric part, I for one have considered how that might be interesting (if not exactly how they described). It might be cool to have a (optional) part where you are Nomadic and have to wander the world in search of the right land. Perhaps you can found camps instead, which you can pick up and move if needed. There would have to be incentives to get you to move around until you work through the Prehistoric arc of the tech tree. Of course, animal units would be there as opposed to Barbarians like in Civ IV. The other threat would the possibility of battling with other tribes (civilizations) as you encountering them. You would be able to produce basic warriors in limited numbers. The cool part would be integrating it into the game so that once you found your city, other tribes may still be wandering around. This could lead to a staggered founding instead of the "every Civ is founded in 4000BC" standard. Though, maybe the longer you go from the first civ being founded, the more padding or bonuses you get once your civ is founded in order to keep things competitive.

Anyway, that is why when I saw that feature, I was intrigued until I read how it would be implemented according to the post.

3. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

If this is an April Fool's, who says it has to be 2K's? Couldn't the claim of a pulled blog post also be part of the joke?

4. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Haha very nice guys

5. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Agreed, not to mention the post could be HALF true and HALF joke.

6. migck

migck Señor de la guerra

"Atomic Bomb replacement for Persia"...

Let me guess, "ignores U.N. ban on nukes." You guys are baaad :lol:

7. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

I don't see anything that is beyond the pale. Some things may sound unreasonable when you throw up a term like "prehistoric" times, but when you consider the description they provide, it makes sense and is reasonable. Just because something is released on April 1st doesn't make it an April fools trick. It may be, but I don't think so. Even Mecha G isn't over the top when you cosider that it is a replacement for a Giant Death Robot, which in itself is fantastical. I think many of the changes they discuss are perfectly reasonable and interesting. We'll see soon enough.

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

Why do you think 2k is involved?
    Vexing made a fake link in his post, and made an edit that it was 'retracted'.
    If you look at the time you can see that the edit was made one minute later.

It was just done by vexing to give his post some legitimacy.

I'm quite sure 2k doesn't have anything to do with this.

9. jeffah3539

jeffah3539 Leviathan

:lol:

You almost got me. The sad thing is that a lot of this is believable.

10. TheMarshmallowBear

-.- damn it D: I hate April 1st..

Still, want those features in :p

11. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

God I'm glad this isn't real.

12. Arkangelus

Arkangelus Prince

Yup, my first thought was just that it was all Vexing's work.

And if so, congratulations, because it's one of the very best I've ever seen :goodjob:

13. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

In all likelihood, the Zulus are actually in. Interestingly enough, the Zulu ability, earning culture with kills, is actually given to the Warband in my upcoming Civ4 mod, iNoc (See below)

14. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

to be fair, that's what warriors are

who said it came directly from the company? it even says at the end that the source was "deleted," meaning it probably didn't really exist in the first place.

15. vexing

vexing knows

the article implied you'd be able to start in the ancient/classical era as well.

since it's limited to one unit and they didn't specify how much culture, it doesn't really infringe on aztec's domain.

i guess they cut corners with some of their new concept art...

in the current game, wouldn't a 11 str warrior or spearman replacement be imbalanced too?

16. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

paint by numbers is still art, right?

...right?

17. PAVLOS_GR300

PAVLOS_GR300 Greek

2unit per tile?? tghe battles were very good with 1 upt

18. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Vexing is part of the CFC Content Staff, so that's all that matters here. He just happened to be awake enough to see the post and copy it over.

There actually are some people who have asked for this in the forums, and it wouldn't be hard to implement (just do what the AI currently does), though yeah it would be a 'bad' governor, but still plausible. So I wouldn't put it past Firaxis to add it if they thought enough players wanted it.

both? :goodjob:

and apparently so is sticking painters tape on a canvass (I have seen this is a real museum), so there's no accounting for taste in 'art'.

19. TheMarshmallowBear

I actually have no doubt that some of the facts could be true. The Walt Disney isn't a bad idea and the wonder that's supposed to give 2 free scientist, even though bit overpowered, Louvre does the exact same with Two great Artists.

20. SomethingCronic

SomethingCronic Chieftain

Guys, this was a joke, it had to look half true otherwise it would have been too obvious. Apart from anything else, the mech g screenshot is civ v style not gk