1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[April Fools] New Civilization 5: Gods & Kings Details released

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by vexing, Mar 31, 2012.

1. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

Concept art is the art used to come up with the look of a particular asset. See the Boudicca pic released when they first announced the game. The modelers need the concept art to make the 3D versions, since it takes a lot longer to knock something out in 3d rather than 2. A photo of Disneyland, run through one of the default photoshop filters, would not be concept art. If it would even be used it would be placeholder art; they would at the very least illustrate over the image.

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Still.. it pisses me off... I have O.C.D I can't help it :mischief:

3. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Who said that the whole article is fake, or even parts of it aren't? :eek:

4. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

No one did. And that's exactly why we want confirmation here, so the rumors stop. I never said for sure that any of this is true, but I never said that any of this is a lie either. Innocent 'till proven guilty or guilty 'till proven innocent then! Peace.

5. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Impressive April 1st announcement. A few things seemed kind of surprising (new map projection?) or quirky (Knights of the Round Table?) but plausible, until the last two. And a nice balance of announcements that could be real, as well - Shaka, 2 units per tile, and improved automation. Even if they don't make such changes for Gods and Kings, it wouldn't surprise me if some of those were included at some point. Giant Death Robots started off as a joke, after all...

6. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I think this probably serves partly as mythbusting, if it is genuinely from 2K Games. i.e. anything here that was suggested in seriousness is probably not real (including Zulus and desires for 2UPT). The Zulus never really made sense, although it's somewhat surprising they brought in the Huns who were, likewise, a short-lived tribal group united under a single leader, rather than a nation.

I presume there must be a reason for mentioning it as opposed to more likely candidates, such as Wonders from previous games. As for the NWs, I don't know if it's been confirmed that they don't count towards the 9.

I'm hoping one of the missing civilizations will be the Majapahit, simply because Indonesia is the largest remaining area of the world that has never been represented in Civ games (whereas new civs like Songhai and Siam take the place of the Malinese and Khmer respectively, who occupied much of the same territory as these successor empires).

This would explain why, according to the CivFanatics home page, this 'info' is no longer available from the original site.

7. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Is it bad that I realized this was a joke when I read "two units per tile?"

8. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Some people are actually questioning whether or not this is true? Clearly it's a joke guys. They put some believable things in like the Zulu to get people to think it's true, then some other rumored gameplay alterations like the 2UPT, but the more you read, the more it's obviously a joke:

A unique atomic bomb for Persia?
    A mecha-godzilla unit?
    A "Don't Eat That" tech?
    A tie in with a movie by the same name that is about Moses that isn't going to be released for at least another year?

It's obviously a joke. CFC seems to have an April Fools joke every year. Some of the things may end up coming true (like the Zulu), but that doesn't mean they had any inside information about it. Don't try reading too much into an obvious April Fools joke.

9. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

For me, I don't hate Zulu, but they're a throwback to Civ 1 when they were included probably because Sid wanted an African civilisation, and in those pre-Google days there weren't any that would be widely-recognised by the public.

The issue for me is this: the Zulus were not a civilisation. They were less of a coherent entity than most of the names given to barbarian cities in Civ 4. They never had any cities, which is why their city names were taken from battlefields. They were a tribe that was briefly united (for, I think, about 40 years) under a single leader (which is why Civ II actually invented a fictional leader to give them a second leaderhead option), and fell apart immediately after his death.

Of course, if this was the rationale Firaxis was using, they wouldn't have brought the Huns in - they're in a similar position, and again the absence of fixed settlements is why they have names like 'Attila's Court' for their cities in screenshots.

Also, in terms of geographical representation we already have one aggression-focused African civ (although arguably Songhai is miscast in that role). Perhaps make the next something different? Swahili, perhaps - a moderately important East African trading empire.

Yes, in the real Gods & Kings Persia gets the same atomic bomb as everyone else, but suffers a diplomatic penalty every time it improves a source of uranium.

10. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

This strikes me like something similar to what Google has done in the past on April 1. (Make a mix of announcements some of which are real and others are fiction.)

Zulu : Shaka and the Impi along with its ability sound belivable.

LHC : Probably fake

Disney World: Definitely fake

True start locations when choosing the earth maps would be nice, but as to using that particular projection: No way

2UPT: Something like that would have been in the first round of announcements

The automation options sound possible but unlikely. And who would trust the AI to do those things anyway?

I'm doubtful on them adding a 3rd unique item. But if they do add one, that Mecha G for Japan would be cool if there aren't trademark issues.

Cross Promotion: Fake

Prehistoric start: While I can see them requiring us to research Agriculture instead of getting it for free, the rest of that section not going to happen.

11. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

:lol:

12. vonbach

vonbach Prince

The Zulu's I wouldn't mind so much its traditional at least. Mechagodzilla I want, seriously.
    Its just a cool idea. I'd play Japan in modern era just to play with that thing.

13. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

I want my "discounted" Spielberg movie ticket :lol:

14. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I think Persia should represent Iran! If they enrich their uranium too much their capital gets surrounded by the brand spanking new Navy Seals units.:)

I was counting on this too. It better be true!:gripe:

Thats the first thing they should show at PAX next Sunday. Mecha Godzilla wrecking a couple of GDRs. :D

The joke could be on you Mr. Professor. :lol: Sorry I just had to say that!

15. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Anyways I wonder whose idea it was for the April Fools joke this year. Probably Vexing's.

Anyways as for the Zulu...

Like others have said only united for fourty years. One true "victory" (with thousands of losses at the victory) in an otherwise catastrophic campaign for the Zulu. And there are a ton of better Empires and Civilizations out there that would be be A. Both more fun to play as, B. Actually have a bigger piece of History, C. Would actually have cities.

I feel a lot of people are like me in this regard. Now that we are in the days with google and better knowledge of the world why not have a more meaningful civilization? Thats why people dont want the Zulus I feel.

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

For what it's worth, they kind of do. Their achievement for consecutive golden ages is "From Achaemenid to Safavid" to represent at least a good chunk of their history (although stopping before the Pahlavi's and modern Iran).

17. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

18. vexing

vexing knows

happy april fools everybody.

the post is entirely the content staff's creation (not just me). there was never a 2k blog post, nothing contained within the post is proof or disproof of g+k content; it's just from our heads.

i'm glad many of you appreciated it,
    and i apologize to those of you whose hopes and dreams are now utterly crushed.

19. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

*sues civfanatics*

20. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

i want my bermuda triangle natural wonder.