[NFP] April Update Video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Apr 12, 2021.

1. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I'm really liking Spain's buffs now, they look like very efficient colonial builders....like they should always have been.

Get exploring, set quick footholds on other continets, kill the nonbelievers, develop your empire fast and protect the intercontinental trade like you empire depends on it. And most importantly, it doesn't feel like Spain is Byzantium only worse.

I'm really happy just like everyone else with the new units to close the gaps.

Haig, Deggial, Kmart_Elvis and 10 others like this.
  2. BD123

BD123 Chieftain

I feel like they could've still taken it up a notch with Spain, like Spain gets the trade route buffs and whenever they conquer a capital on a foreign continent gain 1 or 2 trade slots. But that probably would've been too wordy and Spain was already a civ notorious for a long wordy ability especially after they latched loyalty bonus for missions.

Also throughout the development cycle of Civ 6 it seemed like the devs hated Spain for some reason lol. The first looks of the Mapuche and Gran Colombia showcased fighting Spain (appropriate) and in the April update the Mapuche are once again attacking Phillip. But when Vietnam dropped the first look video had them fighting Gaul and not France or China or the US... And on top if it all was a weak civ design for 5+ years like idk someone on the dev team must've had a bad tourist experience or something in Madrid lol

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It's a stretch associating an Italian civ with religious tourism, besides cultural tourism, but it could work.

Well Jadwiga is the one with the relic bonuses and well, since she became a saint, one could consider her a relic. :shifty:
    Not sure about the Khmer except for they wanted to emphasize the idea of religious tourism, and relics were the only way to do that.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I believe they also said the Mountie would be cheaper.

Jkchart, Kjimmet, Pfeffersack and 2 others like this.
  5. Menocchio

Menocchio Warlord

Poland in real life has the most incredible church relic already, in the form of woolly mammoth bones.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  6. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing King

I didn't expect them to remove abilities but what they did makes sense. It could be they come back applied to other civs. Now that Georgia has the same ability as God of War will they be replacing that pantheon? The could conceivable make GOW a faith bonus for using a cassis belli in effect using Georgia's ability.

7. Manol0

Manol0 Chieftain

April's update news are more than astonishing!!! .The addition of these historical content units is a huge enhancement. I m excited. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:. Thank you devs :worship:

Haig, Kjimmet, AntSou and 5 others like this.
  8. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I doubt it (and I hope not because that ability sucked and I’m glad it’s gone). For instance, Pericles’ UA is actually a policy card too, and let’s not forget the multitude of things that give a free Wildcard slot (Greece’s UA). They don’t seem to mind some abilities doing double duty.

9. Mr. Salt

Mr. Salt Warlord

It's a nice touch that the Line Infantry reuses the badass line-of-battle combat animations the Redcoat and Garde Imperiale have. I always thought it was a shame it was mostly unused. It looks like the Trebuchet has basically identical animations to the Catapult, and I can't really tell about the Man-at-Arms since they never show it engaging in combat. It'll probably be identical to the Swordsman.

Setting aside that the Atomic Era is now the only one in the game that doesn't introduce a melee unit, the Trebuchet fixes the biggest problem I had with natural-feeling unit progression. It'll make siege warfare more relevant in the early midgame, where it wasn't before since the Catapult was so weak against medieval units, and maybe even tone down the dominance of Knights at that stage of progression. If you put a gun to my head and told me to pick something out, I'd say to add another naval melee unit between the Galley and Caravel, but whatever.

10. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

carolean also uses them too!

11. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Prince

Fair enough! I'm just a sucker for synergy between civ bonuses, so it's automatically the first thing I think of.

And yes, those bonuses fit so much better with Gorgo, now that I think of it! I'd completely forgotten her ability was called Thermopylae... and I thought of those buffs specifically because of the Battle of Thermopylae! :crazyeye:

Gorgo's culture on kills makes total sense (Sparta's culture was war), but something else to recognize that Spartans had the rigorous training they did would be nice. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for when those patch notes release :mischief:

12. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Pillaging causes unhappiness and starvation, which drops loyalty. You can do it with any civ.

Georgia change is bad. You cannot realistically use it to generate large amounts of faith unless you start a zillion wars. A very disappointing change which does not at all fit with Georgia. It needed to be something Holy Site, etc related, to get a religion easier and make the whole annoying envoy process smoother.

13. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Carl confirmed in TheGameMechanic's chat that Spain does in fact get two builders when founding a city on a foreign continent after building Ancestral Hall.

Also, the tourism from Prasat is not additive. You get +10 or +20.

And the Mapuche governor loyalty is offensive and defensive, so it does work like Eleanor. Well, kind of. It doesn't stack, so it's just -4. But, this helps put cities into negative loyalty per turn so that you can flip them with unit kills.

I noticed that Mapuche's unique unit is a light cavalry that doesn't have a standard analog and so it still doesn't replace another unit. I guess non-melee class units will often end up this way, making melee class unique units even better overall.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  14. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Stacking on the Mapuche ability might have been a little too crazy. Still, -4 is -4, so it will help. I think it might still be tough to get a civ in a golden age into the negatives to flip if they don't revert back to the old way where getting to 0 was enough.

15. Mudrac

Mudrac Orc Warchief

I am really hoping that we just got a glimpse of the tweaked Civs. They said 2/3 of Civs will be tweaked with the update, which means around 33 of them. If you don't take in account GS and NFP civs which are generally well designed, that mainly leaves Vanilla, Vanilla DLC and R&F Civs getting the tweaks. It is possible that not all of the tweaks are major since some of these civs were well designed already. But I am hoping even they will get some additions and tweaks, just to make them more fresh again.

DefiantMars likes this.
  16. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

The map has terrain in Atlantis location and the glasses guy was wearing an elephant pin (which were common in Atlantis according to Plato)

I feel like it could be a hint. DLC or spinoff? Idk

AriaLyric, Datgingah and Buktu like this.
  17. Kibikus

Kibikus Prince

It would be really nice if the new Georgia ability also applies to religious combat - Missionaries and Apostles have high combat strengths at 100 and 110 respectively.

I would be surprised if it did, but then again there are some combat related bonuses that apply for religious combat as well, such as the bonus from diplomatic visibility.

18. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Well there’s still the Steel and Thunder mod that adds a Cog between Galley and Caravel, as well as a Galleas in the ranged line.

EarendilTheMariner likes this.
  19. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

This is all looking quite positive so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the patch notes, which will have a more complete description of the changes. The video probably only shows the most notable changes, I'm sure there's lots more tinkering under the hood.

I just hope that they follow up the patch properly to nail any bugs that will inevitably crop up.

20. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Warlord

Nope, that's not what he meant. You can do plenty of "new" stuff with existing modifiers, it doesn't have to be just changing around some numbers. It gets a bit technical for a more in depth explanation, since one would have to explain the entire structure of modifiers in civ6, namely: Effect+Collection -> DynamicModifier/ModifierType -> Modifier + Requirements. Sorry if this sounds a bit rude, but I just wanted to clear up any confusion.

Edit: While we haven't seen the code yet, I think all the stuff we see in this free update is probably made with existing modifiers - just as an example.