1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaducts etc

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by GaryNemo, Dec 27, 2002.

1. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

PM to Civ1, Dec 26 4:10PM:

I will get your Aquaduct built in Civvium, but I also think a Settler first will be best. After the Market of course. Right now it is Food+3 and could use 2 Irrigations. And I will relentlessly propose a trade route for Civvium, hopefully Silver some day. Then another, and finally a third. Ren has 2 routes finally!

Civvium: Market, Settler, Aquaduct, Celebrate!   -GaryNemo

PM from Civ1, Dec 27 3:40AM
    After reading your PM and post on Reneaux and Civvium I agree it's better to let Reneaux build an aqueduct and let Civvium finish a settler first. The extra cost of the aqueduct is paid back by trade routes and Reneaux has 2 and Civvium none.

I saw your comment on the iron mine at LC and agree, 10 turns for one more shield is too much. Once we have engineers we can do such things but now it's just a waste of resources.

Regards, civ1
    Posted with permission

2. GaryNemo

Reneaux Aquaduct 1200AD

Considering the above PMs, I am still torn. An RC Silver arrives in Dehli in 4.turns. We must finish Shake's of Elysium first. Then... Read on...

REGIA CIVITAS=8: Aquaduct 10/80 in 14, grows in 14, so..
      ocean to plains, Food+2 & 6 shields, Aqua in 12
      before then, we will $Buy Aqua & Grow instantly!
    Either PRB=60 and wait 4 turns, or Rush Buy up to $80

Elysium=8: start Shakespeare 0/300, @Food+1 Aquaduct in 11!
      serfs: Silk Gems Whale, 4 Roads and Scientist, 7 shields
      so Shake's in 7 or less, start Aquaduct, disaster in 11!

Civvium=7: Market 42/80 in 7, grows in 2 to Size=8 ok
    Then Settler b4 Aquaduct? This Settler can quickly irrigate to produce its own food, while Civ builds Aquaduct then Celebrates...

Reneaux=8: Already supports War Knight, sw Knight to Van
      Market approved last turn, missed, already Celebrating.
      Cut food: serfs Oasis Wine Forest 2.Irr 2.River +Road
      So food+1 23.trade 5.tax 11.beakers 7.shields
      Sw to Van 25/50 in 4, then ... Aqua or Settler?

How about building a Settler elesewhere, rehome it to Ren? We could take the new Mord Settler in 2, home it in Ren, so Ren starts Aquaduct. (N)

3. naervod

naervod My current user title

I agree with your suggestion, we should rebase the Mord settler to Ren so it starts an Aquaduct.

4. GaryNemo

1300AD REGIA CIVITAS builds Aquaduct, jumps to Size=9

Reneaux now supports 2 Settlers -- so Our Duke rehomed the Mord Settler as we recommended. Ren is growing by 1, but no longer celebrating due to new BlackDudes, I guess. 4.Red +4.Black. 3.Squares can be irrigated, plus Ren is working a Forest and Wine.Mine - Oasis and River makes it a real food powerhouse!
    Let's keep these Settlers to do work. Road river squares that already have serfs, then irrigate as Aquaduct approaches completion. Maybe jump Lux% before then for 3 turns.
    Reneaux: Aquaduct 13/80 in 17 is just fine for now.

Civvium: Market in 2, Settler, then Aquaduct. (Discussed)

Elysium: Aquaduct 7/80 in 11, needs PRB=Harbor $108 at least. Elysium will then Celebrate to near Size=12

See new poll: Budget 1300AD

5. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

If we move a worker to a forest square, the market can be done in 1 and save about 7 shields.

6. GaryNemo

I see, put 2 serfs on forest, so we generate 8 shields and finish this Marketplace in 1 turn. Then Setler, then Aquaduct. Looking at that, I see another possibility.

We could put the Civvium serfs on the new plains road and ocean, and kick into celebration. That makes me think perhaps we should change to Aquaduct. I just don't know. We need an Engineer down here badly, so our oroginal plan of Market, Engineer, then Aquaduct also makes sense.
    Little Nemo is choked. Its Settler could complete the Plains Irrigation, then rehome in Civvium and keep working down here.

It is amazing that this city could celebrate to Size=9 without a Market nor a Trade Route. Comments? What to do?

Btw, Civvium houses 2 Muskets, and supports a Caravel. The Caravel is about to sail to Penguin, and could rehome in Penguin. That gives us an available war unit, a Musketeer. To where?

7. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

If we don't have a city to build fairly quickly for LN, then rehoming the settler seems best. Jump right into the Aqueduct after the market.

Rehome the ship if we feel Penguin flats is safe.
    The Musket can go to the island SW of Elysium or the Indian Mainland. More garrison troops could be used there.

8. GaryNemo

Ok, we are building Aquaducts in Elysium and Reneaux. Road building for these great cities is also progressing nicely. See the poll for Civvium.

Looking at the game planning Settlers, I noticed Marl Downs will soon complete its Market. I'm very tempted to start an Aquaduct there too. It's such a great spot -- close to RC, low corruption, starting its Celebration, nice green, 2 Settlers working, merely needs a Trade Route.

Soon other improvements such as BFL Beast & LC will be completed, so they can get back to building Caravans. I am loath to build too many improvements all at once, but I've always loved the Marl Downs site. Recall we sacrificed our original Settler from None (ME!) to build it. Ideas?

9. GaryNemo

We own Aquaducts in RC & Elysium, and these cities are zooming up to Size=12 - we need Sanitation Sewers.

We are building Aquaducts in Reneaux, Civvium and Marl Downs. These cities will also get Markets and grow madly. We are feeding them with Engineers.

Several other cities are in process: Legendary, Castle Jayne, TFalls. Although Neuma is promising, I think this is all a bit too much. Our Engineers are saturated and we lack Caravans. I'd like to keep Legendary on Caravan production, and get Civvium back to Vans as well, before we push huge growth on more cities. Maybe next week...

10. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I love it that cities will grow larger as more people will mean more money. However these cities need to establish trade routes! My suggestion would be to let smaller cities build caravans to build wonders with and perhaps an engineer every now and then while the growing cities with aquaducts (and sewer in the future) will build caravans to establish trade routes. An option would be to rehome caravans from small cities in bigger cities and establish a trade route in this way if the supplied goods from a big city aren't any good: if I remember correctly silk, wine etc gives higher trade bonus than beads or salt. In that case we can use a beads caravan from Civvium to build a wonder, rehome a BFL wine caravan in Civvium and make a trade route.

My suggestion would be to finish the aquaducts were building but after that focus on getting 3 trade routes for these cities before beginning sewers. We can halt growth in these cities right before they are supposed to grow to size 13 by putting workers on other tiles: forest to finish caravans or sewer sooner or on ocean to get trade but not much food.

11. GaryNemo

1510AD We own 4 Aquaducts and are completing the needed Marl Downs project. Civ is back on Caravan duty, Ren starts its Market, the others have Markets. Reneaux is celebrating without a Market due to its Wine and 2 Trade Routes. Ren will consume resources Irrigating, $Large PRB the Market, then Sewer.

Of the next candidates, Neuma seems best. Legendary has a Market, but it lacks food, as does TFalls. TFalls is needed to build a Musket Dragoon or Cannon. CJ is slowly building its Market. Neuma is surrounded by Green, as is Mord. Octavia and Monks are farther, more corruption, and seem to enjoy building and supporting Engineers. Oct and Mord can provide cities on the new Northern Island, Monks & CJ the new Southern Islands.

Remember, our Capital and Elysium are going to be busy building Sewers, Banks and Granaries as well as Wonders. That means large PRB $expense.

Neuma can finish a Dip in 2, start its Aquaduct, and Celebrate whenever we click it so. It has low corruption, Green, Ocean, Forest, and potential for easy Road improvements. Let's forget the others for a hundred years at least.

12. GaryNemo

1570AD We own 5 Aquaducts, and are planning to accelerate completion of our first sewers, the RC and Elysium Sewers. Neuma (Size=8) has begun construction of its Aquaduct, which will be accelerated. Reneaux, our #3 city in trade arrows, is involved in both a Marketplace and a Sewer. Civvium is #4 arrows, Marl.Downs #5.

The people have requested we start a couple more Aquaducts, and that is where I am stuck. We are stretched thin: the Sewers, our big three Reneaux Civvium & Marl.Downs, now Neuma. Market in Legendary City, and building in Castle Jayne, Mordhiemia, also several Temples and more needed in Scandanavia. Edit grammar

A Sewer in Civ or MD will be more valuable than an Aquaduct in Legendary City or CJ. That is, we gain the most by focusing on a few cities, to maximize the value of our investment. On this thought, let's leave the development of Monks Towne and Dellham for later.

This is our status. Please comment in the current poll, Budget 1570AD.

13. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

The cities we will develop later can build some engineers for now to settle the land the Persians have left for us. :D