• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Ara: History Untold

Having played more, my enthusiasm is growing. I wish I were allowed to share more, but I feel I can at least comment on my overall impressions and maybe point to things which have already been publicly shown and described by the developers. I think this is going to be the big Civ game this year, and definite day 1 purchase for me.

If you are worried about the visuals, I would point to the difference between the first screenshots, and the more recent footage from the interview CivLuvah posted above (post 292). The first screens looked quite rough, with a clunky wheel-and-spoke layout for regions. The newer screens look organic, there's a great deal of diversity in environments, and a huge amount of detail. Notice in the video when they zoom in on different parts of the map, you have people walking around doing stuff, animals in the forests, birds in the sky, moving water. I know people have different ideas about visual fidelity, but to me, it looks pretty darn beautiful, and just really full of life. As the developers said in the interview, they don't have fixed regions or tiles, it is quite a bit more organic than that. This has been attempted before, but I haven't seen it done this well before.

The current alpha is supposed to end today, so last night I had a nice long session with Ara. I like the game a lot. There is a bit of a learning curve, but with each playthrough I learned more, and with each restart I was able to make better plans and read the map more clearly. Even though it is still in alpha, and there are areas which need work, it is already enjoyable enough that I spent most of my spare time on it, including several lunch breaks. In total I got in about 25 hours of playtime.

There is something about the design of Ara which just clicks for me. It sometimes gives me the vague sensation of resembling other Civ games/alternatives, while simultaneously being quite different, and usually in a positive way.

I spent 70 hours on the latest Alpha, and like Kay, i found it a very good, compelling experience. Beautiful game, living world. Absolutely scratches that Civ “one more turn” type itch. There is a learning curve, but it’s worth it for the depth and complexity. Sad I can’t go back in any more!

Can’t wait to see it in its more polished state and learn more about the later game stages.

Definitely day one buy for me.

I am putting all the new information to come online on the main page in a few days, so I am copying that also here (all the info discussed in the last posts):

A lot has happened with Ara recently, there is a lot to update! The latest dev diary focuses on the historical research goes into the game. GamerZakh talkes to the narrative designer, about how they made sure that the ingame information is correct, how the starting point for Ara was chosen, and which technologies were included.

A second video was released, focusing on Ara's version of the Civilopedia, called the Encantarta. The devs use Greece to show some parts of the Encantarta, the special traits of Sappo, the unique buildings, and more.

Anothe video was released, this time showing some of the early gameplay.

I am putting all the new information to come online on the main page in a few days, so I am copying that also here (all the info discussed in the last posts):

A lot has happened with Ara recently, there is a lot to update! The latest dev diary focuses on the historical research goes into the game. GamerZakh talkes to the narrative designer, about how they made sure that the ingame information is correct, how the starting point for Ara was chosen, and which technologies were included.

A second video was released, focusing on Ara's version of the Civilopedia, called the Encantarta. The devs use Greece to show some parts of the Encantarta, the special traits of Sappo, the unique buildings, and more.

Anothe video was released, this time showing some of the early gameplay.

It’s really bizarre that they uploaded that gameplay trailer…it’s not indicative to what the recent builds of Ara look like. Graphics, UI, aesthetics have changed (for the better)

And this has nothing to do with just recently playing with the current Alpha or talking out of school, because the other two “dev talking” videos uploaded along with this clearly show a different version of the game. Even down to the apple icons being green in the dev videos and red in the the gameplay video.

I have no idea why they would choose to highlight such an old build of the game for a gameplay video and not a more current one.

that "gameplay trailer" is not official and was made by a random with a youtube account. Could have been anybody who had special access to the game during the last two years.

Good to know that it shows an ancient alpha version. In the official dev videos the game looks quite better. Not sure what's going on, maybe the marketing team is on vacation.

that "gameplay trailer" is not official and was made by a random with a youtube account. Could have been anybody who had special access to the game during the last two years.

Good to know that it shows an ancient alpha version. In the official dev videos the game looks quite better. Not sure what's going on, maybe the marketing team is on vacation.
Ah ok, for some reason when I clicked on it it seemed to be a part of the official Ara video channel

Now it makes sense! :p yea that looks like someone uploaded the Alpha from early 2023

I think that was a leak of an earlier build that does not reflect the present one. The channel for this video doesn't seem to be reputable, as it's one of those trailer compiler channels of games and movies that are clones of IGN, and such and such.

Top Bottom