1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Arab Empire?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by William GBTW, Jul 24, 2006.

?

A=Which Union B=Public Opionion in ME C=Would it Work D=Your PERSONAL Opionion

Poll closed Sep 22, 2006.
  1. A-Syria & Iran

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. A-Syria, Egypt, Jordon, Yemen, Lebanon

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. A-Syria, Egypt, Yemen

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. A-Syria, Egypt, Jordon, Lebanon, Suadi Arabia

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. A-Syria, Egypt, Jordon, Lebanon

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. A-Syria, Egypt, Jordon, Lebanon, Iraq

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. A-Other Form of Unification

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  8. B-50%

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  9. B-20% or less

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  10. B-60-70%

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  11. B-70-90%

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. B-90%+

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  13. C-Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. C-Maybe

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. C-Depends; it worked in Europe for a while

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  16. C-No

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  17. D-Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. D-No

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  19. D-I truly don't know enough

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  20. D-Maybe

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. William GBTW

William GBTW 73h 1337 H4x0rz

Okay; my idea sounds crazy. But I think that it might be the only way to obtain Peace in the Middle East. If the Arab states unite & become strong enough that Israel knows they can't beat them and if Israel is strong enough the Arabs know they couldn't win you would have a balance of power. I'm think a U.A.R. again.
    I think that this would be a nice unification:
    Jordon; Syria; Lebanon; Egypt; Yemen.
    Do you think that the Public in the ME would support such?

2. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Awesome, so instead of Israel VS. Arabs, you'll have the West VS Arabs! Great idea!

3. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

We had something similar between the U.S. and the USSR before the Berlin Wall came down.

Technically it was peace (which means the two opponents were attacking each other through proxy forces and espionage instead of actually shooting each other directly), but it was damn ugly. A lot of the world's effort went into putting a stop to it.

4. William GBTW

1. No not West vs. Arabs;
    2. Yes we had NATO vs. Warsaw;
    3. It would be like NATO (Arabs) vs. Israel (Warsaw).
    It might save lives; it might bring peace; it certainly would be better than it is now & it might improve the quality of life there it it was stable.

5. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

in a way, this could work, but the arab was deeply divided by the western countries also. If they could get into an alliance. they can actually make the Isarel think twice before attacking another country at will also. and thus more negotiation. Sure talking doesnt help much . but its better than fighting till 1 side dropped down. Wonder which side should we put the bet on ??? The small terrorist with nuke or the other 1 with million of population ??

6. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

If the Arabs are strong enough, they might be strong enough to wipe out Israel. Israel isn't so strong that it can resist a conventional war with multiple countries in this modern age i think. You also can't discount Iran and Iraq from the equation, both potential regional powerhouse.

7. William GBTW

The small terrorist with nuke or the other 1 with million of population ??

What does that mean? Oh! I see Israel is the small terrorist with nuke :idea:
    I think that Negotiotion would happen pretty dang fast if they made a STRONG alliance OR thier would be no more Israel.
    Even better would be a Western-Arab coaltion which invades Israel and unites Palestine & Israel into a Bosnian like power-sharing gov.
    Israel isn't strong but the US is and unfortunately my country is supplying the Zionists.

8. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

Israel strategy for survival has always been the poison pill tactic. That is, u can try to swallon them up, but are u willing to pay the price for it ?? With large amount of weapons and bombs and maybe undisclosed amount of WMD. The other arabs nation are unwilling to commit in a battle to eradicated Isreal. They missed the chance in the 60s, and now its difficult for them anymore.

Neither will Israel have enough force to wipe out a united arab league, thats why, there are always more division created in the area to keep them occupied.

9. William GBTW

Anything is better than John Kasich's call to start a war between Muslims & his other BS. In essence if Arabs unite they would prosper due to thier united economic, social & military energies. The ME could become a manufacturing centre. The fact is the ME peoples will not stay as lower end states--they are a very resellient people, a faithful people & for that wether or not you agree with them you must admire them. Sooner or later there will be peace in the Middle East (oops! then the warring will be in Europe). BTW Ramius are you American? I doubt it based off of your opionion on Israel; then again who would think I'm American on this matter.

10. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

I said other because i think than any "arab empire" should consist of Saudi arabia, kuwait, and palastine as well as the rest (minus iran which isnt arabic).

I have no idea about the local public oppion,

It might work, How long does it have to stay together to "work" did the USSR "work" Is america going to stay together for ever?

11. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

whereever will the arab prosper, thats another story, but they are heading toward more financing and service oriental industry than just manufacturing. Dubai, Bahrain are good example of how some arab countries are developing themselve. That is of coz, they will stop fighting between themselves., but thats another consipracy theory.

p/s: nope, im from Singapore a similar state like Israel actually with nationa service, a non-muslim country sandwiched between 2 very large 1 and often on the receiving end of sabre rattling where the muslim politician will blame their countries problem on us.

But instead of fighting, we provide support. coz we know that by escalating the problem, it could only get worse. We try to develope the neighouring countries to suit or needs, invest in them. Thou sometime they cheat and play unfairly, we still keep quiet and tolerate it. recently, Singapore just invested 100 million into the failing malaysian national car company to give it a boost, by taking a token 5% stake even thou its losing money.

We also bought over most of the major telco companies in the region and invest in property too.

12. William GBTW

Sounds like your nation has been very smart.
    As for how long to stay togather...long enough so that stability is established; so that would be a few generations before the animosity would be lessed.
    Ramius what did you mean by:"whereever will the arab prosper, thats another story...". I don't have that phrase figured yet. BTW its 5:33 AM in my land.

13. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

Not say we are the smartest, but been practical, i guess. And have to give credit to the politician in my country, namely Lee Kuan Yew.

By having the economy intertwine. Its make the countries more dependent on 1 another and making its harder and more painful to wage a war. Thats what the Mainland Chinese are doing also, but building a global network of trade, its very very painful if the USA or EU decided to sanction it etc etc.

Likewise, Israel economy isnt dependent on the Arab countries beside it. making war easy on both sides. With basically no properties in lebanon, they can attack it anyway they want and not harming its economy.

My phase on Wherever will the arab prosper is due to the fact, that its not that easy also as some arabs countries had large amt of Oil while some dont, Like jordan , syria and Palestinian, So they do have to rely on other things. Given the amt of stability in jordan, but it yet to realy achieve itself. I think an arab league with share resources might be difficult too.

14. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

All hail my glourious Dar-Ar-Islam as it exists in NES and as it should exist in RL!!

15. William GBTW

16. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

Arab society tends to be rather tribal, so it's very difficult to get the Arab states to agree to work together on much. The Arab League, for example, is a virtually useless organization. When the Arabs attempted to form the United Arab Republic, it was a total failure, even though it consisted of only 2 states. Arab countries appear to be completely incapable of setting aside differences in order to work together. There's also an article I read from an American military advisor, who traveled to the Middle East and observed that the Arab armies are rife with division, and this may explain their failure against armies such as that of Israel. This idea of yours is totally unrealistic.

Historically, the only way in which Arabs have been able to unite is through religion. When there was an "Arabian Empire", it was through the Caliphate, and even there, it was fraught with schism.

17. Sh3kel

Sh3kel Emperor

The vast majority of the population in the African nations are Sunni muslim - believer in the legacy of Mohamad's replacement Caliphate, while the vast majority of the Asian arab nations are Shi'ite muslims which believe in the great grandson of Mohamad, Ali, and not in the replacement Caliphate. There are also several minority factions in places such as Syria in which the government is Alawaite, whereas the majority are actually Shi'ite but the Sunni are a less-than-influential militant minority. Throw into the mix a group of Islamic secessionsits which will later become a sect known as the Druze, and the vast population of Kurds in the Asian nations of what is the "arab empire", and the vast ethnicity mix you get means the majority of the Egyptians are going to be extremely hostile to the majority of the Syrians since they both want to be ruling factions - but only one of them can prevail. Your experiment was called the "United Arab Republic", and it formed a union between Syria and Egypt before the 1973 war.

Israel was surprised and caught with its pants down - and still managed to kick the crap out of the Egyptian and Syrian combined militaries with military assistance from Iran and Russia (in fact, there are uncofirmed reports of soviet pilots being killed over the Sinai desert by the IAF).

The only thing keeping the Arabic factions from killing each other wholesale (as you see in Somalia, Iraq or every other muslim nations without a central government) is the existance of the state of Israel. If anything the only thing preventing a second inner-muslim genocide such as Saddam's use of chemical weapons against the Iranian military, it's Israel.

This is kind of like going "I wanna destroy the world!!!" as a supervillain. Suppose your plan works - where the hell are you gonna live now, then?

18. William GBTW

First of all I now that Israel gives Arabs a common enemy; I don't want Israel to fall; I want it to be "Mutually Assurd Destruction" for etiher of you when you go to war; therefore you shall not war! I would live in Texas, USA.

19. Sh3kel

Sh3kel Emperor

We'd be happy to be oblige to the whole "not killing anyone part" if they would be as kind enough as to stop kidnapping soldiers from within our country and shooting long-ranged rockets into our cities.

20. William GBTW

Long-Range Missles aren't wippy 20 mile range. Hezbollah couldn't fire from one end of my county (the 2nd smallest unit of government in US) to the other; that isn't longrange. Also if they do take 2 soliders then don't go all out & make more enemies; its like beating iron with plastic spoon; it dosn't work. BTW are you in the Israeli Defense Forces?