1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Arab-Israeli War(s): Consolidated Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by William GBTW, Jul 26, 2006.

1. William GBTW

William GBTW 73h 1337 H4x0rz

Okay, so many threads about the current conflict...I can't keep up with them all:eek: So I make this, a consolidated, all encompassing thread about the
    Arab-Israeli War: It's Roots, Consequences & Solutions​
    It is my intent that this will help share information & bring a better understand of the conflict from global perspectives. So I dedicate this thread to such & hope this becomes the central thread for such discussion.
    William GBTW
    See also these related threads:
    Ask An Iranian (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)--Persian Boy
    Israeli Tanks in Lebanon--Mr. Dictator
    What Israel Really thinks of the UN (RECOMMENDED)--BethSheba[some numbers]
    Arab Empire?--William GBTW
    The Star, Crescent & Cross (not the Scenario)--Chezzy The Wiz
    Israel troops 'ignored' UN plea then bombed the UN observers --Samson
    Mubarak: Egypt will not go to war for Lebanon--Nivi
    What happens next in ME--Shadow2k
    Who is Hezbollah? I'll tell you who they are ... --Leatherneck
    MORE LINKS LATER!
    Also I recommend that if you have Satellite in the US to tune into Mosaic on LinkTV (9:30 AM CDT & 10:00 PM CDT was well as in the afternoon) it rebroadcast news from the Middle East, including:
    LBC (Lebanon);
    FutureTV (Lebanon);
    IBA (Israel Broadcasting Authority);
    PBC (Palestinian Broadcasting Company);
    Al-Alam (Iran);
    IRIC/JNN (Iran);
    Abu Dhuabi TV (UAE);
    Al-Jezera (Jordon);
    This one from Oman;
    Also news from Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Oman, & Yemen all of which I can't remember the station's name.
    They aren't really anti-American etiher. Tune in sometime & take a look; see what the conflict looks like from those involved. Also sometimes they have a film on Hezbollah; quite interesting. Some broadcast are in English (Al-Alam is one I think; IBA another) and some via translator. Its in the 9000s, if you have Satellite you should have it. It presents a view you won't see any where else & is one that is worth at least looking into.

2. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Drive-by poster.

While surfing around reading this and that about the Israel-Lebanon Conflict and I came accross a clip from a Lebanese Comedy Show making fun of Hezbollah. I'm sure something is lost is the translation. Found it funny Lebanon was poking fun at Hezbollah on TV ... note the LBC logo in the top corner, its a Christian ran TV station in Lebanon I believe.

It's takes a while to buffer so it might be slow ... (might be my connection tonight)
    http://www.terrorism-info.org.il/malam_multimedia/Hebrew/heb_n/video/bas_mat_watan_e.wmv

Here is the parent link to the video ...
    http://www.terrorism-info.org.il/malam_multimedia/English/eng_n/pdf/lbc_e_tv.pdf

3. William GBTW

Well LBC is Lebanese Broadcasting Company; I which it; its news show isn't overly pro-Hezbollah, but CERTAINLY is anti-Israel; but its not overly anti-Israel. I actually like it. I think that's the one I'm thinking of; there a two; I'm pretty sure the one I watch often is LBC.
    Also I recommend that if you have Satellite in the US to tune into Mosaic on LinkTV (9:30 AM CDT & 10:00 PM CDT was well as in the afternoon) it rebroadcast news from the Middle East, including:
    LBC (Lebanon);
    IBA (Israel Broadcasting Authority);
    PBC (Palestinian Broadcasting Company);
    Al-Alam (Iran);
    IRIC (Iran);
    This one from Oman;
    Also news from Egypt, Jordon, Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen, UAE, Qatar & one other Lebanese station; all of which I can't remember the station's name.
    You'll not while the US leads you to think women don't work or such in Arab Nations you'll see that there are many women correspondents & reporters on the aforementioned channels; most of which dress Western except on Al-Alam and a few others. They aren't really anti-American etiher. Tune in sometime & take a look; see what the conflict looks like from those involved. Also sometimes they have a film on Hezbollah; quite interesting. Some broadcast are in English (Al-Alam is one I think; IBA another) and some via translator. Its in the 9000s, if you have Satellite you should have it. Also be doubting of MEMRI publications; its made to bring out the worst in Muslim Culture.

4. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Drive-by poster.

I have Direct TV and Link is on channel 375 I watch it from time to time.

5. William GBTW

Okay for me its 9000 something; no wonder your so open minded. Some of its shows are leftist but Mosaic is just stright news from the war zone. Also people PLEASE try to use these thread.

6. William GBTW

7. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Because there is no topic for conversation, and the commentary that you attached to the links is biased.

8. William GBTW

9. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Yes, that's better. However, there is still not clear topic for discussion. It's a good consortium of links, but I fail to see anything to discuss. If the purpose is the discussion of the entire conflict, that's a rather broad topic, and I fail to see how we need yet another thread for it.

10. William GBTW

I think that for ex. there are at least 3 threads on Israeli bombing (accident or not) of UN and such; we should have one thread for the main discussion concerning the war. Also I'm going to add quotes from the previous threads later.

11. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Fine, make a thread "for the main discussion concerning the war." The fact is that unless there is actually something to discuss, nobody is going to post here. If you write something that we reply to, then there might be some interest in it.

Also, please stop posting "use the consolidation thread!" in other threads. I've already made it clear why nobody is posting here, and spamming other threads that do have a topic of discussion in order to tell people to come here isn't going to do anything.

12. William GBTW

1. I stated to use this in other threads but that was always in addition to something else which was on topic.
    Okay I'm going to state my opinion on the war, I haven't yet done so in total.
    I believe both sides (Hezbollah & Israel) are at fault. I believe that Hezbollah was out of line in firing rockets & such, I also believe Israel had (has) the right to defend itself from military attacks; however in the course of this campaign I've seen much civilian death; Israeli & Lebanese; for that both are at fault. I must look & see who's actions are the worst; I find that Israel has killed more & started this. Started this? You ask; well to the Lebanese this war began in 1948 & more closely in 1973. The Israelis occupied Lebanon for 18 years; this made many Lebanese dislike Isaeli; to me it is no surprise why Hezbollah fights--I know I would do the same. So I think that Barack was right when he stated that occupation made enemies. I think that Israel should leave the Arabs alone, return to their pre-1967 war boundaries; that the issue of Temple Mount should be left undecided. I find the Israeli military guilty of war crimes as I find it hard to write of all civilians casualties as part of a bunch of accidents. I find that Palestinians were peaceful during first intifada & Israelis treated them wrong & that led to violence. I think it is time Israel stop ethnic cleansing & making so many homeless; it is time that Arabs & Israelis make peace--not just on Israeli terms--but on joint terms. IMO it is time for a world without Zionism; only one major state seeks that--it is Iran.

13. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Okay, since you don't seem to be a fan of periods, I'm going to break up your sentence when replying to your post.

That's not correct. Civilian death is an unfortunately consequence of war. There is no way to prevent civilian death. Hezbollah is at fault for targetting Israeli civilians. Israeli, on the other hand, targetted Hezbhollah, not civilians.

Israel has killed more? More what? Israel has killed more Hezbollah than Hezbollah has killed Israeli soldiers? Correct, because Israel is not afraid to attack the actual enemy and not just their civilians. I'll address who started the conflict later.

Hezbollah started this. Not only did they kidnap two Israeli soldiers and refuse to release them in exchange for a cease-fire, but attacks on Israel were the reason that Israel originally occupied Lebanon. The Lebanese hatred of Israel caused the occupation, not the other way around.

A lot of good pulling out of Lebanon did.

Israel will do what it has to do to survive. If that means keeping areas that it captured when it was attacked as a buffer zone, so be it. Israel has left the Arabs alone, but it has been attacked multiple times in its existance. The Arabs should leave Israel alone.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you have any knowledge of war, you realize that civilian casaulties are an unhappy necessity. Claiming that Israel is guilty of warcrimes just because Hezbollah hides in populated areas is fanciful.

Yes, the first intifada was very peacefull :rolleyes:.

14. William GBTW

Isreal has killed more Lebanese than Hezbollah Isreal. Israel made Hezbollah by brutally occupying Lebanon. The First Intifada was peaceful; the second (in 2000s) was not. Yasir truly wanted peace IMO. Sadat also did. Israel promised a State of Palesine. As for an Israeli state; I think that Israel & West Bank/Gaza be one like Bosnia-Herzegovina with ethnic power sharing.
    In the Camp David Peace accords Egypt recongized Israelis right to exits. The PLO did in the Oslo accords. Many other times. But they [the Arabs] think that Israel can exist within thier pre-June 6 1967 boundries.

15. nivi

nivi Call me Ishmael

When I got to part where you said Yassir truly wanted peace I just started laughing at the, poor, misguided person you are.

Where do you get your info? Al manar TV?

16. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

I am not sure about the extent of your knowledge of Bosnia, but that country de facto doesn't exist. Republika Srpska (the Serbian part) is de facto its own state, the central government is powerless, the economy is in ruins and if it was not for the EU military and police force presence, they would start killing each other again.

Bosnian "model" can work only if you have a bigger power keeping peace and order, and even then it is nothing you'd like, believe me. It is better than civil war, but otherwise it isn't worth a ***.

17. William GBTW

I know a fair bit about Bosnia; I think its better today than it was in 1995. I agree with you. I find though that something must be done; we need to not go to the table with such an anti-arab view; the US (or anyone else) cannot broker peace with such an anti-arab view; the same might be said of another nation with an anti-Israeli view; we must going with the goal of peace--not arab bashing.
    As for Yasir? He worked as hard for peace as Sharon--more so. Sadat likewise. I also like to joke with you about Yarsir. Its funny :lol:

18. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Bosna is all fine and dandy now, well not fine, not really dandy either, buy hey I buy BB guns there and shoot wildstock! Great fun!

19. William GBTW

I watch Al-Alam & PBC; they say good truth. Nasrallah spoke on Al-Alam & never said to kill Americans. Lebanese support Hezbollah. BTW Cleric what happened to your Hezbollah attitude? I liked it more.

20. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

I would direct to you what changed me, but there is a high probability you would turn into a pedophile.

>.< Stephanie apparently makes you pedo ... *adds this to notes for world domination*