Arabia First Look Video (Saladin)

I think it'd make the most sense if they followed the example of Byzantine from Vox Populi--not only are they guaranteed a religion, but they can pick beliefs that other Civs have already chosen. This assures you can get what you want, rather than being limited by being last.

Wouldn't write off the possibility, since sometimes the bonuses are not fully revealed in these videos, but it's a long shot.

I wonder how late all religions will be claimed. If an early founder already converted more than 5 cities, it might not be the best idea to wait too long until your ability kicks in. I can imagine that there is a bonus that has not been said for what happens when you already have a religion. Free apostles?

Judging by the Sumeria (or is it Sumer?) video, it definitely seems like they were made well in advance such that the dev could have easily add/modify the abilities mentioned, we'll have to wait and see, but just guaranteeing you getting the last prophet is a bit meh imo

Also, this first look either rules out the ability to unbind leader from civilization or they really didn't think it through: think Afonso I leading Arabia...

Also, this first look either rules out the ability to unbind leader from civilization or they really didn't think it through: think Afonso I leading Arabia...

I doubt you can switch leaders. There would be so many unstoppable combinations.
But your example: :D You get a free prophet and need to capture a holy site...

well you will still get the prophet though, just wont be able to found a religion with him, does great prophets have any other ability other than founding a religion?

You mean blue and white? :O

Also, I wonder if that is all to the UA or if there is more to it.

Black and blue I'm sure you mean :mischief:

Also wondering if there's more to the UA - there could be some unmentioned stuff like in Sumeria's reveal

well you will still get the prophet though, just wont be able to found a religion with him, does great prophets have any other ability other than founding a religion?

They do not, at least not in any of the videos we've seen or any information shared so far.

I think the Arab UA comes in handy when choosing your Pantheon belief. You can choose a Pantheon that does not produce faith without a risk of not getting a religion.

I am particularly interested in the extra science from religious buildings. It seems like a religion focused Arabia can be a science beast in the mid game. :)

I like it. 3/4 abilities are very strong and I like the science bonuses.

To me the first bonus of always getting the last prophet seems meh. If you're focusing on the Science/Faith synergy shouldn't you almost always have enough faith to get a great prophet anyways? Seems like most games it'll not be a bonus at all.

Though I do feel the other 3 benefits are more than good enough to make up for it.

His ability let you invest in other things like science, instead of going for faith in early game, then later you give faith some love when you already have an established empire. You can also use faith to buy any Great People, so you can go for faith and use it for something else. Another way to get a great prophet is through the wild card that give Great Prophet bonus, which you can use for another policy.

It might not be the strongest ability if you're going for a religious victory but free stuff never hurts, in any situation you get a good advantage over other civs that had to actually invest resources to get a religion. It's like getting faith from Ancient ruins in Civ V, suddenly you're ahead on religion even though you didn't build a shrine nor did anything to get faith.

I'm pretty sure he stands on the street corner and yells lunatic ravings at passersby.

Very nice; like their bonuses a lot. Except as everyone says, the unique ability is kind of lame. I generally always put a focus on founding a religion ASAP so it's almost worthless for me especially since if I'm playing Arabia I'd be trying to play religiously anyway for the RP jollies

His ability let you invest in other things like science, instead of going for faith in early game, then later you give faith some love when you already have an established empire. You can also use faith to buy any Great People, so you can go for faith and use it for something else. Another way to get a great prophet is through the wild card that give Great Prophet bonus, which you can use for another policy.

It might not be the strongest ability if you're going for a religious victory but free stuff never hurts, in any situation you get a good advantage over other civs that had to actually invest resources to get a religion. It's like getting faith from Ancient ruins in Civ V, suddenly you're ahead on religion even though you didn't build a shrine nor did anything to get faith.

+ free faith in medieval times (Madrassa, if the leaked tooltip was correct) if you go for science and campuses.

His ability let you invest in other things like science, instead of going for faith in early game, then later you give faith some love when you already have an established empire. You can also use faith to buy any Great People, so you can go for faith and use it for something else, Another way to get a great prophet is through the wild card that give Great Prophet bonus, which you can use for another policy.

I guess my point is that it feels like it depends alot on Map size and other variables to be relevant. Isn't a normal Map 8 civs? With 7 potential religions you have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to come in dead last for great prophet points.

Maybe on massive maps where there are like 16 civs then it's alot more useful.

I guess my point is that it feels like it depends alot on Map size and other variables to be relevant. Isn't a normal Map 8 civs? With 7 potential religions you have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to come in dead last for great prophet points.

Normal map size allows for 5 religions, so not dead last, just less than half. Plus on higher difficulties it's essentially impossible to get a religion given AI bonuses.

I was expecting a scientific bonus, but they sure doubled down on that! Not only madrassas, but all worship buildings provide science too? That's a pretty good way of combining their faith game and science game. Given that you will always want to be building Holy Sites, is there any real benefit to being guaranteed a Great Prophet though? Besides, I'm not sure you always want to wait until last to found a religion, because then you don't necessarily get the best beliefs.

I'm surprised there wasn't a religious combat (or at least religious defense) bonus for Saladin's LUA, too.

The lack of trade or desert bonus is good though, because that means we can get Mali soon :D

I think number of religion also depends on map size/civs.

8 players had 4 or 5 religions in CiV iirc.

I think the Arab UA comes in handy when choosing your Pantheon belief. You can choose a Pantheon that does not produce faith without a risk of not getting a religion.

You get Great Prophet from Great Prophet points, not faith.

Top Bottom