1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Arabia - how the hell

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by BaneFire, Nov 19, 2019.

1. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Regent difficulty, normal speed.
    How the hell do you do Arabia now? The Seljuk spawn is just atrocious, you'll spend 200 years whacking Seljuk Keshik and Lancers while you barely have a few Ghazis, and by the time you either kill them off or they collapse it's 1200AD and all you have is Mesopotamia, Persia and Egypt. North Africa is sort of doable but good ******* luck against Spain.
    Not to mention that you can't build any infrastructure during this period cause the Seljuks are going to raze everything you've got to ****.

This is with the 600AD start, but I consider playing as the whatevers and doing a better city constellation as cheating. Sure maybe a Roman -> Arabia would be doable, winnable even, but it's a bit too much for me to be considered legit.

Currently I'm thinking I either move to Marathon where things are a little more easier/wiggle room, or alternatively just let the Seljuks roll over me, station like 8 Ghazis on the Persian border until they collapse, conquer North Africa/Spain then hopefully take all Persia in like 50 years from independents.

Open to any suggestions...

2. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

This is part of what's so BS... I decided to just utterly stamp out the Turks, taking Merv and Samarkand, and razing Orduqent and Kashgar, leaving them with a single starving city in China. I left Merv and Samarkand undefended to the barbarians, vassalised the Turks, and yet they still get the Seljuk event to invade Persia. Obviously I feel like deleting their units with WB but that's definitely cheating!

Attached Files:

Gianmarco Silvestro likes this.
  3. Mxzs

Mxzs Prince

I haven't played Arabia, and I haven't got any advice, but I definitely want to register my sympathies. I've played non-UHV Persian games, and found that the only way to survive was to beeline Nobility on spawning, ignore Mesopotamia like it was a leper colony, and spend a couple of hundred years building Horse Archers against the inevitable storm.

And that's with a Turn 84 start, in a location that only gets the fringes of the Seljuk Conqueror spawn. I've seen what the Arabs get, and there is no way I would submit myself voluntarily to that sort of abuse.

Gianmarco Silvestro and BaneFire like this.
  4. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

The annoying thing is that compared to Persia, Arabia does have a chance against the Seljuks - Mobile Guards make mincemeat of Oghuzes on hills, and Combat II Horse Archers with a good road network can help secure Mesopotamia. The starting Ghazis will also be able to clear out the Crossbowmen/Trebuchets they get. The only thing is, you'll spend ~15 crucial turns doing this **** when you'd rather be invading Africa and Spain. Then there are added issues - if you lose any Ghazi/Guards against Herat/Shiraz/a Byzantine invasion/roaming Oghuzes/Nubians/etc your chances significantly reduce.

Personally if I was Leoreth I'd implement it so that the Seljuk spawn can only happen if the Turks exist and control somewhere in Central Asia. This means as the Arabs you can spend the first ~30 turns destroying the Turks and spreading Islam to Central Asia and North China - which is historically accurate.

Gianmarco Silvestro and 1SDAN like this.
  5. Gianmarco Silvestro

Gianmarco Silvestro Chieftain

I completely agree with the problem of Babilonia, Persia, Arabia with the Selijuk.

In my Rome Marathon/Monarch game after the Turks spawn I received two major spawns in my territory, then decided to conquer them and another spawn occurred (I think that it is a bug) even after their civ collapsed because of my conquest...

6. Gianmarco Silvestro

Gianmarco Silvestro Chieftain

PS: had to delete their units on worldbuilder, because they were stuck (not moving at all) and because their civ appeared even without having any cities or settler/worker.

7. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

It's not so difficult, you need to rush Turks at the very beginning, just capture from Merv to Dunhuang, only leave Orduquet, and stay at war. At the meantime, do not capture Persia. Then in 10XX ad Turks will get troops and attack Persia, after they capture you can attack and get Persia easily.
    The Silk route is very important to your economy, so get as much as silk, cotton and incense.

8. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

That's all well and good, but what about when the Turks then get another huge spawn to take Babylon and the Mediterranean coast?
    I'll try the tactic anyway...

9. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

Just keep at war till they spawn near Baghdad. Then make peace when their troops spawns.

10. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Well this tactic did work! Sort of. I let the Turks throw themselves against Shiraz+Herat which meant I could slaughter them with my existing units. However, it was very gamey because:
    1. Byzantium declared war which gives *you* an extra 6 units, and Byzantium nothing. So you can use those units to do all kinds of stuff across the world while Byzantium throws pikemen against your heavy swordsmen.
    2. I insta-declared peace when they spawned around Baghdad, which was a bit gamey but whatever.
    3. I got a Great Merchant rather than a Great Scientist from Alexandria, which meant that I could get Civil Service + Feudalism (cash out in Shiraz, full tech for 10 turns).

Anyway so this all worked, vassalised Morocco, invaded Spain, conquered Persia+settled Rasht...... until the Mongols spawned. And I wasn't going to defeat them any time soon lol.
    Oh well, it was pretty fun overall! Who knows, maybe the next try I'll get to win.

soul-breathing and 1SDAN like this.