1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Archaeology is AWESOME

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by werothegreat, Jul 10, 2013.

1. werothegreat

werothegreat Warlord

I think this is now my favorite part of the game - digging things up before anyone else does, and shoving them into your Museums, fiddling around with them to get the perfect bonuses. It's the easiest way to acquire Tourism and Culture, rather than waiting for your Guilds to pop out another GWAM. And all those Artifacts make your Writers and Musicians even stronger, for when you're ready to unleash one for a Culture or Tourism bomb.

Six out of five stars.

2. sarah_aus

sarah_aus Chieftain

it sure is!
    its my favorite new feature.

still unsure about a couple things.
    when you dig outside your own borders and it asks you if you want to give it to another city state or civilization, are you still getting the benefits of the find. as in 2+ culture etc, or does everything go to another civ?

3. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

i imagine you wouldn't get the culture/tourism, but the civ'll like you a lot more

4. oronen

oronen Chieftain

eh im 50/50 on it.. i mean it does provide an easy way to get tourists and stuff.. but i wish the stuff u dig would be more realistic much like what u get when u make writing/music/pictures.. for example if im playing the civ egypt wouldnt it be cool if i digged king tut body instead of some useless swords?

5. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Sounds pretty cool to me, although it looked gimmicky when I first heard about it. I think it has a lot of promise though.

6. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

I think my one issue (from the one game I played) is that it seems like waaaay too many of the artifacts are bees

7. Scauthra

Scauthra Chieftain

It would be awesome of the ruins offered more than great works of art. What about a long lost tome or epic? What about an old instrument? But alas, more than beads and arrow heads would be nice.

8. zacminor

zacminor Chieftain

Yeah - my issue is that so many of the artifacts are generic beads and arrowheads, and there seem to be very few wonders that utilize those for a theming bonus. But I agree, the system is a lot of fun.

9. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

How does the theming work exactly? I haven't gotten that far yet.

10. simonthesinner

simonthesinner Chieftain

If you are egypt, then king Tuts body would be in a still existing burial tomb in one of your cities.

11. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

It's too bad you can't buy cities with beads....

I keed, I keed.

12. HaloCapella

HaloCapella Chieftain

so all that warmongering in the ancient times can effect later in the game? i guess as long you survive. and dig up other warring nation's history? I hope to see all the actions that can make a Antiquity Site.

13. oronen

oronen Chieftain

was just an example to help me make my point clearer...

14. Adoombray

Adoombray Chieftain

the whole expansion goes out of its way to make the late game interesting and just as important. I quit so many CiV games because I knew I was out of it by medieval or at best renaissance. I doubt I'll quit many games anymore and I'll finally stop playing on Epic because the meat is at the conclusion.... which is where it should be. Archaology IS awesome.

15. oddtail

oddtail Warlord

How are archeological sites spawned? I mean, has anyone noticed a significant impact on the number of wars etc. on the number of sites? Or is it more or less constant from game to game?

Is a spot for an archeological site created for every event such as battle etc.? Half of them? Or is it somehow randomised?

16. AlextheGr8

AlextheGr8 Warlord

I always played without artifacts. Guess I need to check that box again.

17. azhskr

azhskr Chieftain

I also thought it was awesome until I ran into this issue last night.

Excavated two sites that were down by some city states away from borders. Both sites discovered great works of art. Problem was, I didn't have any great art slots available to put them in, so the only thing I could do was build landmarks. Which sucks.

Anyone else run into this (or something similar)?

Still an awesome feature, just not as awesome.

18. DefiantMarauder

DefiantMarauder Chieftain

Exactly, after filling my museums with worthless beads from plundered ruins, I've been finding city ruins, and barbarian battles, and shields from wars between city states, and now have no where to put them!

19. BluegrassGeek

BluegrassGeek Warlord

I believe I read somewhere that you can trade great works with other civs. Might be useful for getting rid of the ones you don't need to make room.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You can swap with other civs, but it's strictly 1 for 1, so you aren't making space.