Archer ranged attack XP and the Sidar

Honor

Immortal
I find it I can pretty much spam archers, use them to shoot an animal on sitting on a den indefinitely and get lots and lots of shades pouring in until the end of time.

At first, I though I could only "farm" with 1 or 2 archers since I didn't know that archers still got XP even if they did 0% damage due to the archer max damage cap. Then I discovered archers did get XP even if they do not damage the enemy, and my new Sidar strat was all set.

In the good old FfH days, I used to try and get Form of the Titan and get the Altar as high as possible for that juicy disciple XP. I find the archer spam to be even more effective for the Sidar, as you can start it much earlier.

I propose archer ranged attack XP gain rate be reduced and make archers get no XP if they deal no damage. Even better make the XP gain proportional to the ranged damage dealt.

(As a side topic, I also think mages really need a way to gain XP beyond level 5, besides hand to hand combat and Force II, but let's focus on the ranged XP issue first)

You're not supposed to get any xp from doing 0 damage. That's a bug. Xp gain already IS proportional tothe damage dealt

When that's fixed, this strategy should be a lot less effective. But in general, I think shooting things dhould force them to either run away, or attack you. Things shouldn't just stand there and take your arrows, unless they're held, or they have archers fo their own to shoot back.

And in that case, I think you should get no xp for shooting Held targets either

Ahh, that is good to hear.

What you proposed could be achieved by giving barbarian units the "Enraged" promotion when ranged-attacked. Making them run away may not be a good idea, since you could just chase them with your stack of archers and shoot at every turn.

Ahh, that is good to hear.

What you proposed could be achieved by giving barbarian units the "Enraged" promotion when ranged-attacked. Making them run away may not be a good idea, since you could just chase them with your stack of archers and shoot at every turn.

Are you sure the unit wouldn't attack the player? Alcinus always attacks enemy units he sees when running around angry.

Uhhh, I was comparing giving them Enraged vs making them run away?

wow does this "strategy" work... In fact even after the 0 xp issue is fixed, i believe this could sill work on an enemy capital, as long as the amount of archers you have is large enough to withstand a coutnerattack anyway...

You can't help the lair defenders with Enraged, python FORCES them to sit still, and never allows them to even get to the point of decision making where Enraged takes over. But we have plans already for fixing this. I am elbow deep in a massive code clean-up, but it is one of the 3 major fixes in the works for 51.

wow does this "strategy" work... In fact even after the 0 xp issue is fixed, i believe this could sill work on an enemy capital, as long as the amount of archers you have is large enough to withstand a coutnerattack anyway...

Oh yes, that does work too of course. :D

Maybe we could assign a limit the amount of XP each unit can "give out" to ranged attackers. Like 5 XP/unit max... You can shoot them forever, but your archers will share among themselves a grand total of 5 XP for each unique enemy unit stationed in the city.

You can't help the lair defenders with Enraged, python FORCES them to sit still, and never allows them to even get to the point of decision making where Enraged takes over. But we have plans already for fixing this. I am elbow deep in a massive code clean-up, but it is one of the 3 major fixes in the works for 51.

Ahh, too bad, giving them Enraged seemed like a viable option. Great to hear that you are working on it :goodjob:

Why not simply make it so that the unit hit gets XP as well.
That way you might be bosting your archers, but you are doing the same to the enemy.

It would relegate archers to making that 1 crutial masacring hit before an invasion.

Acheron is an absolute well that never runs dry for Archer XP, as long as you have a decently promoted unit to defend the occasional attacks from the dragon's city.

Just to test it out I took 8 archers and a combat 4 or so Hunter over there to test things out. Left them there for about 200 turns and dinged some health off Acheron on every turn...

This should probably be changed.

Acheron is an absolute well that never runs dry for Archer XP, as long as you have a decently promoted unit to defend the occasional attacks from the dragon's city.

Just to test it out I took 8 archers and a combat 4 or so Hunter over there to test things out. Left them there for about 200 turns and dinged some health off Acheron on every turn...

This should probably be changed.

The problem here, is that acheron is not a dragon. He's a Big Red Paperweight

Seriously, acheron just stands there and takes it, even though he has the power to annihilate armies. Hopefully when xienwolf implements the new module options, and barbarian leashing to specific points, I might take a crack at making acheron actually do something. It seems that being Held not only prevents him making direct attacks, but also stops him from using his spells. Which is just silly. A dragon should Not sit still for centuries while you pelt him with arrows. He would eat your archers, and then become even stronger.

The problem here, is that acheron is not a dragon. He's a Big Red Paperweight

Seriously, acheron just stands there and takes it, even though he has the power to annihilate armies. Hopefully when xienwolf implements the new module options, and barbarian leashing to specific points, I might take a crack at making acheron actually do something. It seems that being Held not only prevents him making direct attacks, but also stops him from using his spells. Which is just silly. A dragon should Not sit still for centuries while you pelt him with arrows. He would eat your archers, and then become even stronger.

Lol for a lark I let him loose via WB. What a beautiful sight that is! I say: he chills until he gets annoyed when people attack him so if you don't kill him that turn he will be released (really the world is unleashed) upon the world at large.

edit: crud, sorry for double post, got carried away.

Top Bottom