Arctic areas

madman1981

Chieftain
In C3C, because of map distortion, the world maps have disproportionally huge arctic regions. In addition to that, there are enough resources in those regions to support huge cities. Both these things add quite unrealistic aspects to a game of C3C. With C4, the map distortion issue should be resolved, but will it still be possible to cram up the cold, arctic regions with big cities? I hope this can be resolved so that games will be more realistic when playing world maps.

madman1981 said:
In C3C, because of map distortion, the world maps have disproportionally huge arctic regions. In addition to that, there are enough resources in those regions to support huge cities. Both these things add quite unrealistic aspects to a game of C3C. With C4, the map distortion issue should be resolved, but will it still be possible to cram up the cold, arctic regions with big cities? I hope this can be resolved so that games will be more realistic when playing world maps.

I agree...I think that this might fall under discussion of spherical maps (there's a thread out there somewhere..) since any map that isn't on a globe will have disproportionately large polar areas...

ha det bra!

It is the problem of what the map shows as a representation of geography and what the map is as a field to play on.

The two - I think - cannot be adjusted... as long as the playfield is shown in 2 dimensions... we can do nothing better than say that when we play the polar areas are way distorted...

Perhaps in Civ V, we will get spherical maps, until then I think that we will have work with a flat map.

I can live with a flat map actually, but I hope the arctic areas will have less food/production so that it will be more realistic and they wont be as populated as they are in a normal Civ3 game.

Ok, I'm going to try that. I opened the world map from the original C3 in the cunquests editor. But I can't access the rules menu, everything is greyed out. Is this map locked or is there anything I have to do first?

madman1981 said:
Ok, I'm going to try that. I opened the world map from the original C3 in the cunquests editor. But I can't access the rules menu, everything is greyed out. Is this map locked or is there anything I have to do first?

First click File -> Save as -> choose filename.

Now you have created a scenario with that filename

Now click -> scenario -> custom rules

Now you can enter the edit window. It consists of 17 tab-screens. To change terrain values, you need to go to the one called (guess what) terrain.

Make the necessary changes and save again. Now open civ and play your scenario.

By the way, maybe you also want to make the worker job 'plant forest' unavailable in the tundra terrain because otherwise all bad tundra tiles will be changed in reasonably good forest tiles and the effect of your rule changes is gone. This change can also be made in the terrain menu. A random map will still start with a number of forested tundra tiles, but you can't create new ones.

Thanks. I know I'm going off topic as for Civ4, but do you know how I could make a scenario so that I can choose this rule and then have civ generate a map for me each time?

madman1981 said:
Thanks. I know I'm going off topic as for Civ4, but do you know how I could make a scenario so that I can choose this rule and then have civ generate a map for me each time?

I hope that you found your way in the terrain tab of the edit window and found some values for tundra terrain that were right for you.

In the scenario menu, you chose the custom rules. As long as you didn't choose custom map in this menu, the game will create a random map when you start your scenario.

If you want to edit some more game rules, then it is good to know that there exists a nice help function. Press the F1 button and you should be able to find out how the editor works. If some unexpected problems occur, then you can ask at this forum. There is a special section dedicated to modding Civ3.

Well I would assume the true Arctic/Antarctic regions would be like the impassible top and bottom of the map in C3C. ie it shows up on the global map but not on the flat map (so that the map is understood to only go from 60 N to 60 S) (it would mean changing the Earth maps (Asia and North America would have no Water north of them and Greenland might be a tiny island attached to the top of the map) but it would work.

Top Bottom