1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

are 3D Battles possible ???

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Adon604, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Adon604

Adon604 Chieftain

Imma total newbie to this game, so I know nothing about it yet... Imma Rome Total War player...... and I was wondering if this game makes it possible at all to have 3D battles just like RTW does... for those who havent played RTW what I mean is that, RTW has 2 ways u can play, one is on the strategy map but when on the strategy map u encounter an enemy in CIV4 all u get is soldiers bashing eachother with clubs or swords or whatever they have... but in RTW when an enemy is encountered, instead of the battle being fought on the strategy map, it completely loads onto a 3D battlefield and u actually see your legions of soldiers who are all capable of full blown combat with eachother.......
    thats the only thing missing from CIV4 that makes it an incomplete game, everything else is perfect in my opinon..... so is this possible, through any mod of any kind or no??

2. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

In a word, no.

3. pdathert

pdathert Chieftain

It's simply not that type of game.

It's a turn based strategy and thats that.

IMO the devs have already gone too far down 'making the game look beautiful' route, whilst not improving that much upon gameplay from previous civ's.

4. QiZhe

QiZhe Warlord

Most people will disagree with you. The game is in general played for gameplay, not battle animations. And the game is demanding enough as it is without fullblown 3D battles...

5. SirFelixCat

SirFelixCat Chieftain

The game you are looking for, with the above is: Rome: Total War.

6. ghen

ghen Chieftain

While it would make a good game to combine the best aspects of both, the game would also be such a massive undertaking that it might never be released even if it was tried.

On the complete opposite of the spectrum, I dream sometimes of having Civ incorporate the detail and scale of the SimCity series of games ;) Ahh, I love bedtime.. Who needs sugarplum faeries when you have civ.

7. robaughjr

robaughjr Warlord

They're just now getting the game to work as it is. Imagine the slowdowns and lockups you'd get if a screenful of 3d units were duking it out.

8. ghen

ghen Chieftain

in R:TW the 3D battles took place in a seperate part of the program that required unloading the world code and loading the battle code into memory. If done correctly there will be no slowdown of the system.. But thats the catch right there.. Things are rarely done correctly when the programmers are under a deadline ;) Expecially if everything they do has to be customizable by the end user!

9. robaughjr

robaughjr Warlord

You wouldn't think a leaderhead popping up would cause a slowdown either.:lol: If they ever did release a feature like this in an expansion or civ5 make sure to wait at least 3 patches before buying.

10. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

I haven't bought Rome total war yet and don't know if I will.
    The Total war series was a neat idea but it didn't hold up on the strategic end. It extreme hard to balance both strategic and tactical level well in these type of games. Every game I ever played which had both usually falls a little flat on the strategic side since it didn't take long to figure out how to win the game by tactical battles alone. As for medieval TW, I could win againest incredible odds on the battlefield which made what I did on the strategic level not as important and less challenging. As long as I build something it really didn't matter that much since I know how to cream the AI on the battlefield.
    I believe Civilization Total War would have the same flaws as the other TW , the only thing really matters would be how to win these 3-d battles. For the most part, the Total Wars series remind me of the Civ4 quote "if you try to chase two rabbits you lose them both." ( IIRC)

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

it wouldn't be practical to include total war like 3d battles in civ4.

consider how many different types of units exist in civ4, each one with its own strengths and weaknesses. it would take forever just to set up one battle. imagine setting up your entire army, giving them orders one by one, then going through all that each time there was a battle. the game would have to totally change to accomodate something like that.

12. MetHimPikeHoses

MetHimPikeHoses Unarmed Insurgent

After playing a lot of Civ I-II-III-IV, and a fair amount of R:TW, I don't see any reason that a future incarnation of Civ couldn't have 3d battles. The R:TW tactical map looks much like the CivIV map, and the RTW map proceeds based on turns. The difference is that the borders and city locations on the RTW map are set and do not change through the game (though cities change hands of course), and that battles during a turn cuts to the battlefield scene. I never played M:TW, but in RTW you could ratchet-up the difficulty a bit, and the battles became quite challenging, and quite graphically stunning, even on my low-end machine. (RTW runs much better than CivIV in terms of fps, even at higher graphic settings, and large unit numbers, which seems a bit fishy).

All those 3d battles would make a CIV game go VERY slowly, say on normal or epic settings. There are so many battles, especially for us warmongers, that we'd be playing a single game for months!